I've seen a few post that sort-of answer my question, but none seem exactly right. I have a Bold 9700 and use a BIS to retrieve my personal email from my ISP's POP server. I don't use BES. When I'm at home or at work and have direct access to email, I'd like to turn off my bb email client. How can I do that?

In one post I saw the recommendation Messages > Options > Email Reconciliation > Wireless Reconcile -> set of Off. Is this enough?

(I have my BB set up for wi-fi connection when I'm home, in case that makes a difference.)

Thanks - Bill
    05-13-10 09:24 PM
    I always did this at the BIS site. set it to stop forwarding emails. Comes in handy when I am out of the country and have my laptop.
    05-13-10 10:35 PM
    Why exactly do you want it turned off? Do you just not like the blinking light, sound, or vibration...because all of that can be turned off without logging out of your BIS

Plus, although turning of forward would certainly work, I feel like that's a pretty cumbersome solution. Plus, I think it will probably still download all of the messages once you login to your BIS again. But maybe not

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-10 03:00 AM
    actually it will download all the messages that the op hasnt deleted
    05-14-10 07:38 AM
    I'm not sure what you guys are talking about wrt "forwarding" emails. I'm not forwarding any emails. My BB email client is hitting my ISPs POP server and downloading my mail. And I guess I don't know what a "BIS" is, either.

The reason that I want to turn it off, unclebanglin, is that when I'm home or at the office, my Thunderbird client on my home/work computer retrieves my personal email for me and it's an annoyance to have a redundant copy of each message on my BB that I have to individually delete.

Setting wireless reconcile to Off, btw, doesn't have any effect - my bb still downloads my email (through AT&T rather than my router, I guess - kind of silly setting if you ask me.)

Any more ideas? How can I turn off my email?
    05-14-10 02:57 PM
    With all due respect, wburkett, this is the very job of a blackberry.. i.e. to receive mails. If you don't want that, maybe you would be better off with a Nokia.. just my penny's worth.
    05-15-10 12:30 AM
    This is hilarious, rofl. Pass the popcorn, folks.
    05-15-10 02:02 AM
    I've seen a few post that sort-of answer my question, but none seem exactly right. I have a Bold 9700 and use a BIS to retrieve my personal email from my ISP's POP server. I don't use BES. When I'm at home or at work and have direct access to email, I'd like to turn off my bb email client. How can I do that?

In one post I saw the recommendation Messages > Options > Email Reconciliation > Wireless Reconcile -> set of Off. Is this enough?

(I have my BB set up for wi-fi connection when I'm home, in case that makes a difference.)

Thanks - Bill
    Go into settings security and enable firewall on emails when you don't want to receive them and when you do just disable it
    Last edited by WarrenRSV; 05-15-10 at 09:09 AM.
    05-15-10 09:06 AM
    Thanks, Warren -- I'll give the firewall route a try, though it seems a heavy-handed approach for what I want to do. I don't understand why I can't do a simple thing like disable email polling.

I also don't understand why my intentions are being questioned here. I'm asking for some technical help on a very simple and straightfoward question, but instead I get questions about "why would you want to do that?". These kind of responses really aren't helpful to me or anyone else looking for help. Why does it matter why? It's something I want to do and I'm asking for help - if you have a concrete suggestion (like Warren's), great - I'd love to hear it.
    05-15-10 10:53 AM
    I'm pretty sure your bb notices when you open the email on your computer for example, it will show as read on the bb as well. Thus vice versa as well.
    05-15-10 11:49 AM
    Hey, Warren - the firewall approach doesn't work either. I enabled the firewall to block incoming messages from the BB Internet Service (except for message from Contacts). This didn't work - still got all the email coming my way. I've just reset it to block message from BBIS and Enterprise Email and eliminated the Contacts exception; I'll let you know how that goes.
    05-15-10 02:59 PM
    i'm not sure if it works but you could setup your e-mail client on your computer to not save a copy on the server and then just setup your client to check for messages at however many minutes and just leave it open on your computer.
    05-15-10 03:19 PM
    Okay: blocking messages from BIS and BES using the firewall with no exceptions seems to work (though, curiously, a spam message DID get through). I'm going to try it with BIS/BES blocked and except messages from my contacts.

Thanks, Chrisb - I already do that. Thunderbird on the home computer takes the messages off the server already; the problem is that the mismatch in polling times between my TBird and my BB are different so I still get some messages on my BB.

(And again, I wonder: why is this so hard to do?!?!?)
    05-16-10 09:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD