Well a couple days ago my phone started to have the MMS music playing error where it would play music whenever it wanted to. Guy was cool and said a refurb is on its way.

I got the refurb and got it setup how I wanted it and the same day it started doing it again. I was pissed so I went to the verizon store again and waited for 30 mins for someone to help me (best customer service award my ****). I tell the guy my story and how it has to be a software bug and has nothing to do with hardware and he kind of calls me a liar saying he has a tour and hasnt had any problems with 5.0.

I told him he better do something or Im just going to have to cancel my plan and go with someone else. I can have a phone playing music all of a sudden in a meeting. Another associate came over and said a virus thats be transmitted through MMS is causing the issue and the only way to get rid of it is to do a full phone reset or they can send me another refurb.

I chose to have him hard reset the phone. I got home and set my phone up how I want it to be again and havent had the issue yet....Not sure if any of you guys tried this but so far so good. I had all my friends send me all kinds of MMS and email messages with sound and it hasnt happened yet.

I still have a hard time believing a virus is causing the issue though. IF it was a virus why wouldnt it affect other phones? Sounds like verizon is trying to dig itself out of a hole with tour owners.
    05-13-10 05:37 PM
    There is no virus. It's just a major flaw in the VZW official OS, along with the browser click issues. Do a search if you don't believe me...

The real solution is to just load a different OS. You don't have to use the OS from Verizon. It's buggy and crap. I recommend OS 5.0.0.419 MTS/Alltel/etc have had it as an official release or the leaked 5.0.0.643. I can verify that neither OS has those problems.

Here's how:

Go to add/remove programs and uninstall all the OS's on the computer. Open desktop manager and make a backup of your bb (this won't back up your 3rd party apps, use BBSAK for that, plug that into the forum search if you're not familiar with it).

Download and install the OS you want to downgrade (or upgrade) to onto your computer (pc). After installing the OS file to the computer, and making your backups, go to c:/program files/common files/research in motion/apploader and delete "vendor.xml" if the file you downloaded is for a different carrier than the one you're on. After making sure you have backed up your phone as mentioned above, I recommend wiping the phone (using jl_cmder, BBSAK, the "security wipe" feature etc), prior to installing the new OS . In the same folder mentioned earlier, click "loader.exe".

When that finishes, your new OS should be loaded. You will have to restore your backups using DM and BBSAK manually if you wiped prior to installing the OS as recommended.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 05-13-10 at 05:44 PM.
    05-13-10 05:42 PM
    Be gone with the out dated OS, go with either .624 or .662, way better than what you are running.
    05-13-10 11:41 PM
    go with leaked os vzw .643 or .662 and its gone. its a bug in .591, some got it some didn't.
    05-14-10 01:01 AM
    643 has gotten no bad press and 662 has had bad press. I am running the 643 and it's much better.
    05-14-10 12:34 PM
    So far so good! No music playing and I had all my friends send me all their MMS messages they had on their phones

Id love to load up one of those recommended operating systems but Im not too tech savvy
    05-14-10 05:18 PM
    i run .662 and it has been solid.....the official one is CRAP
    05-14-10 05:39 PM
    how can I get .643
    05-25-10 11:39 AM
    Check the beta OS section.
    05-25-10 11:48 AM
    Id love to load up one of those recommended operating systems but Im not too tech savvy
    It's not about being tech savvy. It's about being able to read and follow step by step directions.

It's a piece of cake. Give it a try

05-25-10 12:00 PM
    Well the second tour started to play music again....What a joke....I deleted all my MMS and cleared the log and the problem went away. Hopefully it wont come back
    05-25-10 06:14 PM
    Does that sound like a solution? Deleting them? What happens when you get sent another MMS? Every other phone in the world allows you to save MMS w/out issue. You are "hoping" the problem won't come back? You are settling.

05-25-10 06:22 PM
    Well the second tour started to play music again....What a joke....I deleted all my MMS and cleared the log and the problem went away. Hopefully it wont come back
    Seriously, changing OS' is change you can believe in. Don't rely on hopes and dreams to fix your device. We're not leading you astray, it's dreadfully easy and painless. And no more battery pulls to cure the MMS bug.

05-25-10 11:11 PM
    Stay away from .591.

I don't trust the "patched" version - it didn't do sh1t for me when they released it on 4/22 - when I was in HONG KONG. What a pain in the a$$ (and expensive call) to get Verizon to do... NOTHING.

Go with .643 or .662. Stay away from .591.
    05-25-10 11:21 PM
    The only fix is to replace the operating system (OS). Verizon's official OS for the Tour is buggy and is the actual cause of your issue. To get rid of the issue, you have to get rid of that particular OS.

Verizon users kept whining since Verizon was the last carrier to release 5.0. However, Verizon was trying to release Push-To-Talk at the same time and got something wrong. Try either a hybrid or a leaked OS...they should fix your issue.
    05-26-10 09:39 AM
    .643 is great.
    05-26-10 10:51 AM
    Does .643 support PTT?
    05-26-10 05:55 PM
    my tour does that randomly, but only when the music player application is open either no playing or the list.

if you close the music playing programs it shouldnt do that
    05-26-10 05:57 PM
    I work at a VZW store and I've seen this before. For some reason, the media player is the issue. The audio from the MMS that was playing after the phone was hung up from a call was actually running in the background. If you go into the media player and play something else or close out of it using the menu key and close, it should fix it. Worked for me several times now....
    05-27-10 08:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD