Hello

I currently using the BOLD 9700.
    I wanted to know if this is normal or if my computer is just really slow.

I have a kingston 16gb class2 memory in the BB

and it takes over >3 days and still going, to transfer a 6Gb file. By the way is a GPS map file.

Thanks
    05-13-10 04:02 PM
    Some depends on USB speed... some on the computer itself... and some on class speed of your SD Card.
    05-13-10 05:23 PM
    Hello

and it takes over >3 days and still going, to transfer a 6Gb file. By the way is a GPS map file.

Thanks
    NO this isnt normal.
    2 questions,
    1) is the card in your phone or in an adapter plugged directly into your pcs usb?
    2) Where did you buy the card, it could have some issues.

Class 2 is REALLY slow at reading and writing. When you buy a card that big, you really should go for a class 6, you will notice the difference. The class2 will likely also have issues recording videos, and will be noticeable slow when taking pictures.
    05-13-10 07:07 PM
    NO this isnt normal.
    2 questions,
    1) is the card in your phone or in an adapter plugged directly into your pcs usb?
    2) Where did you buy the card, it could have some issues.

Class 2 is REALLY slow at reading and writing. When you buy a card that big, you really should go for a class 6, you will notice the difference. The class2 will likely also have issues recording videos, and will be noticeable slow when taking pictures.
    LOL... sorry, but I have a 16G class 2 SD Card... and they DID NOT make class 6 way back when I got mine, but the class 2 is plenty fast enough to transfer a number of Gig in a fairly quick and speedy manner... not days, but the OP does not need to buy a new class 6 SD card because of this post... again, LOL!!!
    05-13-10 07:23 PM
    ended up buying a card reader to help with the transfer becuase i wanted to use the phone again LOL..
    05-13-10 08:06 PM
    LOL... sorry, but I have a 16G class 2 SD Card... and they DID NOT make class 6 way back when I got mine, but the class 2 is plenty fast enough to transfer a number of Gig in a fairly quick and speedy manner... not days, but the OP does not need to buy a new class 6 SD card because of this post... again, LOL!!!
    This is on you for not waiting till the new tech was out of its infancy.
    Theoretically, a class 2 should be getting 2mb/s transfer speed. But things like the file system type, IE fat32/ntfs, cluster size and how its connected to your computer will all play a part in how much speed you can access.
    I know from experience that the controller in the BB is painfully slow transferring files over USB to the card. If you want the fastest transfer times you need to plug the card into its adapter and into either a usb dongle or a card reader if your computer has one, preferably the card slot as that is a direct hardware connection to your pc.
    05-14-10 12:08 AM
    I went from a 4Gb Class 2 in an 8320 to a 8Gb Class 6 in a 9700, and the transfer times were amazingly fast on the 9700. It literally took me 10 - 15 minutes to transfer 3 albums (maybe 500 Mb) from my PC to the phone. On the 9700, it would probably be 2 minutes or less. I'd put that more on the card than on the phone.
    05-14-10 07:26 AM
    to the OP if you did not buy it from a reputable store and got it off ebay or craigslist chances are you have a FAKE card... i would call kingston and they will tell you if its fake or not... and if its original they will replace it for you free of charge.

Fake cards are all over nowadays and can cause damage to your data... i.e you can loose everything.
    05-14-10 08:50 AM
    I'd imagine there could definitely be a problem with your SD card, although I wouldn't rule out the possibility that Windows is simply being true to its stereotype, and something is going screwy with the PC itself. I only say this because my PC has 2 internal drives, and transferring data between the two is often painfully SLOW. By slow, I mean "my old 56k dialup connection downloaded faster than this" slow.

If it turns out to be your card, then great. Otherwise I suggest you contact your computer manufacturer and get the latest drivers for your PC's motherboard. Windows can, and often does, become confused when it doesn't know which driver is controlling which part of the board. That, I found, is what led to my ridiculously slow transfer speeds between 2 internal drives. Could be causing your USB transfer speed issue as well. Good luck though!
    05-14-10 09:09 AM
    Hm. Similar problem over here, but there are a couple of changes that could be related or not.

I used to have a Bold 9000. With an 8Gb Kingmax SD card (can't remember which class) which was pretty damn fast for file xfers thru USB. That BB got stolen so I bought a 9700 as its replacement (might as well upgrade!) And an 8Gb class4 SD card.

File transfers are now EXTREMELY slow, ranging from 1.5Mb/s to 200Kb/s. This is ridiculous, it's taking forever to transfer large folders! So is the 9700 slower on the SD I/O stuff, or was my previous SD card just extremely fast?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-10 10:02 AM
    Not real sure here but I have a 16G class 2 card. It took about 30 minutes to transfer everything to my new card (20 albums and 5 movies totaling about 6G). The other day when syncing with the new DM6, I wiped all the movies and it took about 20 minutes to sync up (1 movie is 800MB and the others are 500MB each). Not too bad I guess.

07-31-10 03:57 PM
    As a test, I just formatted my card via the phone and let it sync my music. DM6 took 30 minutes to sync 978MB of music. While doing this I also backed up QL and BW. Along with that I manually transferred about 30MB of apps that I keep installers for on my card as well as a few special files like passwords, app keys and pics.

Hope this helps OP. There certainly is something wrong with your transfer...

07-31-10 05:19 PM
    Hello

Thanks
    Have you even tried a Ubuntu Live CD yet? I use ubuntu every time on all computers. Transfer speed is much faster, it doesn't take days either. It could be a fake card or one that flashed out way tooo quickly.

I recommend you get a refund on the card, get one from tigerdirect, newegg or walmart. Don't get 'em off ebay, kijiji or craigslist. BIG risk of FAKES!

07-31-10 05:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD