I'm starting to think I should have stayed with my 9000. I mean the effect that is constantly happening makes me feel like I only have EDGE. When I'm off the phone I constantly have 3G. As soon as I get a call it drops straight to GPRS. When I'm on the call its EDGE all the way through until I hang up and than I'm back to 3G. If this is the case I should just go back to the original bold. Atleast ill have a better keypad. I've tried different OS and its the same result with all of them. I noticed it with the shipped OS, and so forth.

Has anyone else been experiencing this and how do you feel about this? Its kind of a pain in the *** if you ask me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-10 08:34 PM
    i thought the latest tmo OS upgrade they were putting out was supposed to fix that for y'all?
    05-11-10 08:36 PM
    I have no clue. We have to wait because it just got delayed until june I think.

05-11-10 08:51 PM
    no theres a link in the OS forum somewhere I saw it. you guys get .586 I believe
    05-11-10 08:56 PM
    Hmm, I don't have this issue.

Tmob Boston
    Os# .656

05-11-10 08:58 PM
    Hmm, I don't have this issue.

Tmob Boston
    Os# .656

I tried .656 and I had the same issue. Now I'm running a hybrid and no change whatsover. So you have 3g all the time and even during calls?

05-11-10 09:10 PM
    Just to let you know, you're not alone. I've tried .586, .593, .656, and currently a hybrid... regardless of my OS, I will 99% of the time have the signal drop from 3G to GPRS. It's ridiculous!

I'm in the Orange County area in So. California.
    05-11-10 10:25 PM
    Did you try to call and complain to them? See what they say.. not sure what kind of answer you're expecting from us.

I get and keep 3g everywhere I go... so its either bad phone or not in a service area.
    05-11-10 10:37 PM
    Did you try to call and complain to them? See what they say.. not sure what kind of answer you're expecting from us.

I get and keep 3g everywhere I go... so its either bad phone or not in a service area.
    Its pretty much in my topic. Just looking to see if anyone else is experiencing this. Been called tmobile when I first got my bold. Asking a tmobile rep/tech a question about their product and getting a right answer is a complete waste of time your better off asking ATT a question about Sprint. My friend has a 9700 also but his is with ATT he is running .586 I think and he is dealing with the same issue.

05-11-10 10:46 PM
    Been having this issue since the 9700 came out I really don't see why t-mobile even gave the title of the first 3G blackberry it literally stays on EDGE and then rarely switches to 3G, on calls though I'm straight GPRS which is what I also noticed recently has not changed!

NYC - Queens Area here.
    05-11-10 10:53 PM
    9700/5.0.0.593 on AT&T. I've had better signal and 3G connection with the 9700 compared to the 9000 (slight but noticeable) since day one. My GF has TMO (android) and she's asked me about the dropping from 3G on a call thing before. I'm gonna say its a hardware lemon or a TMO problem IMHO.

05-11-10 11:00 PM
    I'm on tmo and never had this issue on any of the OS I've installed...

05-11-10 11:04 PM
    Honestly, I don't see that issue happening and I'm on tmo using 9700/5.0.0.593 . Though one thing that does aggravate me about the blackberry is that I'm not allowed to browse the internet during calls like an iphone is capable of doing. The only way possible is through UMA, which isn't a problem cause I'm always on UMA but sometimes on the road it would be nice to do both at the same time.

05-11-10 11:07 PM
    Running ATT stock (.405) but have used .586, .593, .656 and all of which have not give me this problem. I primarily run out of Baltimore and Long Island, NY and have not had this problem. If I have 3G service I can keep it through the call, and this is on the current device as well as the one I just exchanged due to a trackpad problem.

Sounds like either you are in a very weak 3G service area or your device needs to be replaced, either way I would try giving T-Mobile a call, can't hurt if you aren't satisfied with the service/product they are offering. Maybe they can offer alternatives or a credit for the time you had the service dilemma. I know I had an iPhone (original) from release date and then a 3G and a 3GS until my 9700 and when I purchased the 3G text messages would have a tremendous delay and I spent about 2 weeks troubleshooting with ATT before it was resolved. At the end though they credited my my text messaging fee for the 2 weeks as well as my next month's bill. It seems with all the other alternatives these days carriers are trying a little harder to keep you business so give T-Mobile a call, can't hurt!

Best of luck!
    05-11-10 11:16 PM
    I have AT&T using .405. I have noticed this lately too. I have also noticed I am on EDGE alot too when I am messing with my phone but if i leave it alone it is 3G with the blackberry symbol. I live in a 3G area and there is no reason for me to be on EDGE when surfing the web and GPRS when I am using the phone. I don't think it is my bb because this started within the last month.
    05-12-10 12:48 AM
    I tried .656 and I had the same issue. Now I'm running a hybrid and no change whatsover. So you have 3g all the time and even during calls?

I just upgraded to .656 last night and I have the same issue too.

In retrospect my friend who has a G1 and recently got a Mytouch 3G has the same issue as well....
    05-12-10 01:05 AM
    I never have this issue with my CLIQ.
    05-12-10 01:50 AM
    I'm on tmo and never had this issue on any of the OS I've installed...

I'm on WAP and I can't see your info. Where are u from and what os are you on? Thanks.

05-12-10 02:32 AM
    I never have this issue with my CLIQ.
    I didn't know this was a forum for Motorola Cliqs. But thanks for sharing that with us.

05-12-10 02:33 AM
    Running ATT stock (.405) but have used .586, .593, .656 and all of which have not give me this problem. I primarily run out of Baltimore and Long Island, NY and have not had this problem. If I have 3G service I can keep it through the call, and this is on the current device as well as the one I just exchanged due to a trackpad problem.

Sounds like either you are in a very weak 3G service area or your device needs to be replaced, either way I would try giving T-Mobile a call, can't hurt if you aren't satisfied with the service/product they are offering. Maybe they can offer alternatives or a credit for the time you had the service dilemma. I know I had an iPhone (original) from release date and then a 3G and a 3GS until my 9700 and when I purchased the 3G text messages would have a tremendous delay and I spent about 2 weeks troubleshooting with ATT before it was resolved. At the end though they credited my my text messaging fee for the 2 weeks as well as my next month's bill. It seems with all the other alternatives these days carriers are trying a little harder to keep you business so give T-Mobile a call, can't hurt!

Best of luck!

Ill give them a call first thing in the morning. Fingers crossed that I don't lose it. You know tmobile and their troubleshooting. First thing they will ask me tro do is pull my battery lol. I don't know why they have techs on payroll. They are useless. Sorry to any techs that work for tmobile that are in this forum.

05-12-10 02:37 AM
    Honestly, I don't see that issue happening and I'm on tmo using 9700/5.0.0.593 . Though one thing that does aggravate me about the blackberry is that I'm not allowed to browse the internet during calls like an iphone is capable of doing. The only way possible is through UMA, which isn't a problem cause I'm always on UMA but sometimes on the road it would be nice to do both at the same time.

What you described is the issue that I'm having. If you can't browse the web during calls than that means your phone dropped signal to GPRS/EDGE. UMA is wifi of course I'm sure you know. And you said when your on the road you would like to do both. That's the problem most people are having. A 3G blackberry only without calls involved. Soon as you make a call and try to do both EDGE.

05-12-10 02:40 AM
    Just some more insights from my own observations...
    I've called T-Mo several times regarding this issue... I'm on replacement #3, and it still happens... I've changed SIM cards, still happens.... T-Mo reps have told me it is impossible to Talk and do data at the same time (unlike what at&t may advertise).

This is complete crap, IMO... the 1% that I actually do stay on a 3G signal while on the phone I can browse and use data no problem. That is until it drops down to good ol' GPRS again!

So, while I think the phone itself has something to do with this, I do believe a lot of the blame is on T-Mo's network itself and the area. Some people with T-Mo in other parts of the country have zero issues, while I have had nothing but issues with my signal. Oh well, I guess.
    05-12-10 08:24 AM
    I've had this happen as well in Portland, Maine. I think it's just the tower because it's the only place I've had the issue, and I've had it on multiple OS'es on a 9000 and 9700, as well as an iPhone.
    05-12-10 08:25 AM
    I didn't know this was a forum for Motorola Cliqs. But thanks for sharing that with us.

It doesn't have to be "a forum for Motorola Cliqs", if it's a problem with the service explain to be how the device matters again? Yeah, but thanks for being a ****. Hopefully you been called them again.
    05-12-10 09:24 AM
    TMO, Atlanta, Georgia, happens to me all the time. I tried a whole cornucopia of operating systems, no difference. I never really checked when I traveled out of Atlanta but I will next time, to see if it is more device or more Atlanta....

P.S. I just really wanted to use "cornucopia" in a sentence.
    05-12-10 10:00 AM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD