I have a question...forgive my ignorance about GSM phones I'm a VZW user...I'm thinking of starting a BlackBerry collection; all models/carriers...IF I were to buy a GSM phone can I get it unlocked to use WIFI WITHOUT being ON a GSM carrier? OR will my collect have to stick to non-working GSM phones (I'm content to have this be true). There are SO many cool BB's out there I just want to collect them. Be NICE to be able to use them KINDA...again, forgive the ignorance...any help would be great. Have a fine Navy day!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-10 06:52 PM
    05-11-10 06:54 PM
    Thanx. I just don't know WHERE to start. LOL. SO many great BB's past present and future...I like the look of the 8900...that's a good general BB question...what's YOUR favorite...HMMMM???

05-11-10 06:58 PM
    Thanx. I just don't know WHERE to start. LOL. SO many great BB's past present and future...I like the look of the 8900...that's a good general BB question...what's YOUR favorite...HMMMM???

Look for them on Craigslist, eBay or even on here.
    05-11-10 07:06 PM
    The GSM phone with wifi will somewhat work for you when you have a wifi connection. You will have to do some work to get there, but you get get some functionality. You won't be able to make calls, or text or do most phone type stuff, but you can use SOME apps and you can browse with Opera. You can probably find instructions in this Forum....

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/

EDIT: You will also have to use DM to get the apps on the phone as OTA will obviously now work, and you won't be able to connect to the RIM servers (I don't think)
    05-11-10 10:31 PM
    AWESOME...I'm on Verizon and would use them for actual stuff BUT if all I can do with the phones I collect is use WIFI on the Browser then I'm content. Thank you for the info and the link...now to decide which BlackBerry to start my collection with??

05-12-10 06:05 AM
    Browser and SOME apps, for example, Pandora, might work.
    05-12-10 09:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD