I've had the BB 9700 for all of 2 weeks, but I've only been using it for about 4 days, because I didn't have time to transfer over my data from my old Curve 8320.

One of the only reasons I stayed w/ a Blackberry vs another type of phone was UMA on T-Mobile. I need UMA in my office or I don't get reception. I had limited problems with the UMA on my 8320 but mostly it would work.

I could not get UMA to work *at all* yesterday. And today the wifi connection itself was being flaky. I couldn't get it to connect properly. I made sure it was on wifi perferred (it's been that way all along). I fooled w/ the settings for the actual wifi connection. I turned on and then off again the "allow inter-access point handover". Our SSID is not broadcast so I don't think that box should be checked.

I did a battery pull and restarted the phone and the wifi *and* UMA came on for the first time. This was short-lived though because as soon as it switched over to the mobile network, I couldn't get it to connect to the wifi network at all (even if I turned off mobile), and the UMA of course disappeared again.

Any additional suggestions would be most appreciated. Yesterday the wifi wasn't acting funny (I don't think anyway) but I still couldn't connect over UMA.

I'm open to other firmware versions (mine is stock .330) if it fixes the UMA issue.
    05-11-10 10:28 AM
    =( I feel your pain! I am UMA dependent also. I hope you can get it figured out! I have found that my 9700 drops wifi/UMA much more than my 8320 ever did, but I am still running stock .330
    05-11-10 01:42 PM
    You guys seriously need to update your os... .330 has a lot of problems.
    05-11-10 01:45 PM
    I heard the .586 tmo official update was delayed. I might try the .593 this weekend when I get some free time.

Can anyone confirm UMA problems that were fixed with an OS upgrade?

It now seems to be on UMA ok at home. Haven't tried making any calls but at least the UMA icon is present.
    05-11-10 09:58 PM
    try .586, and today should be when tmobile should release their own version of .586.
    Upgrading to a new OS is the best help advice you newbies can give? That's sad. You should just keep quiet if that's the best you have.

Check out the UMA guide in my sig for help.
    05-11-10 10:17 PM
    I've been running with .586 for over a month and my UMA stability has been MUCH improved. It's not perfect but it's pretty damn good - DEFINITELY better than .330 which has lots of bugs including random and not so random reboots.
    05-12-10 01:50 AM
    Anyone else having issues when going from uma to 3g? My calls work and text messages but my emails wont work for 5 minutes and data work wont work at all. Ive tried different OS versions. Any ideas?
    05-12-10 12:47 PM
    Use .656. This version has the most stable UMA connection ever. I had similar issues like you did with UMA, and I have yet to be disconnected from UMA in 2 days!!!
    05-12-10 02:32 PM
    I'm on .586 and mine is fine. No problems as of yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-10 03:00 PM
    Upgrading to a new OS is the best help advice you newbies can give? That's sad. You should just keep quiet if that's the best you have.

Check out the UMA guide in my sig for help.
    Not everyone has a linksys router...
    05-12-10 03:31 PM
    Use .656. This version has the most stable UMA connection ever. I had similar issues like you did with UMA, and I have yet to be disconnected from UMA in 2 days!!!
    Updated to .656 and still same issue. My uma works great but when I go outside it switches to 3G, then data stop working. If i go outside and it happens to go to edge it works fine. If its not working I turn data services off then wait a couple secs then it works what gives!!!!! I called t mobile and they said I have a bad phone but they cant warranty the phone since I bought it off my friend and he switched to AT&T.
    05-12-10 06:02 PM
    Hi All,

Before you upgrade the OS, try a simpler set of steps.

1. Power cycle your router (I'm sure you have done it by now)
    2. Battery pull your bold (I'm sure you have done it by now)
    3. If UMA doesn't show up, then go to "Manage connection"
    --- Turn off all connections
    --- Wait for a minute or so
    --- Turn back on just the WiFi.
    --- return to home screen and watch until the bold establishes connection to your wifi.
    --- For me, it ALWAYS brings back first uma and then UMA.
    --- Then go back and turn on the "Mobile network".

I used to have similar problem with good ole Curve 8300. And these steps worked everytime.

However each of us may have different set of causes. So if these steps do not work, then follow the suggestions/directions posted by others.

Good luck.
    05-13-10 09:05 AM
    Hi All,

Before you upgrade the OS, try a simpler set of steps.

1. Power cycle your router (I'm sure you have done it by now)
    2. Battery pull your bold (I'm sure you have done it by now)
    3. If UMA doesn't show up, then go to "Manage connection"
    --- Turn off all connections
    --- Wait for a minute or so
    --- Turn back on just the WiFi.
    --- return to home screen and watch until the bold establishes connection to your wifi.
    --- For me, it ALWAYS brings back first uma and then UMA.
    --- Then go back and turn on the "Mobile network".

I used to have similar problem with good ole Curve 8300. And these steps worked everytime.

However each of us may have different set of causes. So if these steps do not work, then follow the suggestions/directions posted by others.

Good luck.
    I am using .593, I tried all of the above suggestions and no luck. UMA has been working fine for the past month, and last night it just wouldn't switch over. Can't really upgrade OS since I have never done so from my MAC and can't find the instructions to do so. Guess I will just have to deal with it.
    05-13-10 01:48 PM
    I have virtually no mobile signal at all at home so UMA is important to me. I upgraded to .593 but UMA was absolutely useless using this OS constantly connecting and disconnecting and leaving me with either "searching for network" or "SOS".

I downgraded to .586 and UMA works again now.

If I ever get problems in getting UMA to connect then I change my mobile options to 2G only, turn off Wi-Fi, turn it back on again and then it will connect to UMA first time. Then I can turn my mobile options back to 2G & 3G for when I leave the house again so I get the 3G signal.
    05-16-10 06:10 AM
    You guys seriously need to update your os... .330 has a lot of problems.
    Since when? I have had zero issues with .330.

A lot of people have said it is the most stable...

a lot of the reason I am on stock .330 is due to the fact I have had no issues.

05-16-10 07:38 AM
    how would you know what OS is most stable if all you've used is .330???

i've used .330, .442, .593 and now .656... as far as stability and performance, .593 and .656 win hands down... they make .330 look like an alpha release
    05-16-10 09:38 AM
    Your biggest problem is that your using a att phone on tmobile without turning off your 3g. Go into network setting and change it from 2g and 3g to 2g only. TMO uses a different 3g radio than att. Edge will work fine. Do that and your UMA hand offs will actually work.

Last edited by BuddaBelly; 05-16-10 at 12:34 PM.
    05-16-10 12:32 PM
    He is using a tmoble phone as indicated by the stock .330 firmware. He got it from a friend the left to go to att. I had the same issue with my old 8320 and different firmware did not help. Got a replacement and all was good. Since he did not get it new he might have to pay for a new one.

05-16-10 06:55 PM
    Is it me or is it sometimes the UMA drops from it's wi-fi even though it says that I'm connected to the internet?

weird, but hope that made sense lol!
    05-17-10 05:53 PM
    I've had the BB 9700 for all of 2 weeks, but I've only been using it for about 4 days, because I didn't have time to transfer over my data from my old Curve 8320.

One of the only reasons I stayed w/ a Blackberry vs another type of phone was UMA on T-Mobile. I need UMA in my office or I don't get reception. I had limited problems with the UMA on my 8320 but mostly it would work.

I could not get UMA to work *at all* yesterday. And today the wifi connection itself was being flaky. I couldn't get it to connect properly. I made sure it was on wifi perferred (it's been that way all along). I fooled w/ the settings for the actual wifi connection. I turned on and then off again the "allow inter-access point handover". Our SSID is not broadcast so I don't think that box should be checked.

I did a battery pull and restarted the phone and the wifi *and* UMA came on for the first time. This was short-lived though because as soon as it switched over to the mobile network, I couldn't get it to connect to the wifi network at all (even if I turned off mobile), and the UMA of course disappeared again.

Any additional suggestions would be most appreciated. Yesterday the wifi wasn't acting funny (I don't think anyway) but I still couldn't connect over UMA.

I'm open to other firmware versions (mine is stock .330) if it fixes the UMA issue.
    If you got your 9700 two weeks ago you might be running the .586 right now have you actually checked to see what OS you are using? Reason why I asked is because I am running the .586 now and got my 9700 about 10 days ago as a replacement. My UMA doesn't switch over that fast either and I was on .656 and .593 and they both were lightning fast. I changed back to .586 because of a few apps were having issues. PrimeTime2Go and Vlingo Plus was acting up on my phone when I was running both those OS. I really liked the way .656 flew on my phone, the UMA connected as fast as I changed the setting or walked near a wifi connection. I will figure out my problem with those apps and will swap back.
    05-17-10 08:23 PM
    Since when? I have had zero issues with .330.

A lot of people have said it is the most stable...

a lot of the reason I am on stock .330 is due to the fact I have had no issues.

Agreed, I had the most stable phone at .330. I changed OS because I thought I was missing something with all these leaks ect. I found all the newer builds were a little faster but had a bug or two that shook up my phone. Currently on .586 from T-Mobile. Just received a new phone due to my last phone broke. The .586 came loaded on my new phone.
    05-17-10 08:32 PM
    I was having problems with WiFi until I upgraded to 5.0.0.656 I'm debating on downgrading to the new T mobile upgrade. if anyone likes this version and had no problems, please let me know, before I downgrade? the time put-in reinstalling apps etc. is gruesome. Plus I'm disabled, paralyzed and I only have a few good days a week, the stress from a new install will cause some pain. I just want it to be worth it. I was shot accidentally in the back, Ty for your support bamajeff61, if interested my story its http://www.jrwasshot.com
    05-20-10 05:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD