I did not find a solution to this on the forum anywhere. I am running OS 5.0.0.607 on the Storm 2. I installed edocrab version 1.1.0.0 from their website and tried to scan (with camera) the barcode. There is no button on the touch screen to take the picture of the barcode. It seems to just start taking pictures over and over. I uninstalled a couple times with battery pulls and it does the same thing. I then downloaded version 1.0.0.7 for OS 4.7 (which isn't on my phone). It seems to work fine and has the button on the touch screen to take the picture. Anyone have a solution or does the newer versions even offer anything better (if it did work)?
    Thanks
    05-10-10 04:07 PM
    i can't get that app to work on my S2. it crashes the phone EVERY time.
    05-10-10 04:38 PM
    I did not find a solution to this on the forum anywhere. I am running OS 5.0.0.607 on the Storm 2. I installed edocrab version 1.1.0.0 from their website and tried to scan (with camera) the barcode. There is no button on the touch screen to take the picture of the barcode. It seems to just start taking pictures over and over. I uninstalled a couple times with battery pulls and it does the same thing. I then downloaded version 1.0.0.7 for OS 4.7 (which isn't on my phone). It seems to work fine and has the button on the touch screen to take the picture. Anyone have a solution or does the newer versions even offer anything better (if it did work)?
    Thanks
    I had the same problem. I removed it and installed an older version i had backed up on my PC.
    05-10-10 04:44 PM
    Thanks, your right the older version seems to work OK. I never did get the newer version to work...
    05-10-10 04:48 PM
    Thanks, your right the older version seems to work OK. I never did get the newer version to work...
    I had installed version edocrab specified for 5.0 on my Storm 1 running the VZW .328 OS, and it worked fine for a while, including the product lookup. Now it scans just fine, but it always gets stuck forever in the "Searching" screen. I am now running .591. I don't recall the exact timing, so I cannot say if it is the upgrade to .591 that "broke" its database lookup. It has no problem finding the ads, and all other Internet-using apps work fine. I did the usual delete/reinstall/reboot several times.

I installed the version for 4.7, and have the same problem: It can decode the barcode, but then is "Scanning" forever.

When it works, the version for 5.0 is real nice since it does the autofocus and takes the picture on its own without you having to push a "take picture" button.

I suspect that .607 for Storm 2 and .591 for Storm 1 are triggering the same problem.
    Last edited by CharlesH; 05-10-10 at 06:57 PM.
    05-10-10 06:39 PM
    I had the same problem and eventually replaced it with ScanLife, which I've found to be great. Never worrying about edocrab again.
    05-10-10 10:35 PM
    I had the same problem and eventually replaced it with ScanLife, which I've found to be great. Never worrying about edocrab again.
    I will never understand how the same device can work so differently. I have the exact opposite experience. I cannot get ScanLife to work for the life of me, but Edocrab works great.

Really for me that is not a solution. The two apps seem to do different things. Edocrab is more of a shopping app. Scan a UPC and get pricing and review info. ScanLife is more targeted toward 2d scans and taking you to web sites or downloading contacts.

Does ScanLife do the shopping thing?
    05-11-10 08:25 AM
    I had the same problems with edocrab back on version 5.0.0.320. I reported the problem using the Steelhorn Software support site about 4 months ago. I never got a response and removed the app a while back. I did finally get a response from them about a month ago that they would be looking into the problem. You can go to Community-powered support for Steelthorn Software to report the problems as well, but they are not very responsive.
    Last edited by jf2go; 05-12-10 at 09:19 AM.
    05-11-10 09:33 AM
    Edocrab is working fine on my S2.
    OP, on the new version there is not a button to take the picture. You hit scan and it will start looking for a bar code and will keep trying until it gets a good shot of one. Then it will start searching for the product.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-10 10:13 AM
    I loaded Scanlife and have been playing with it. It is much easier to use. It seems the picture of the barcode doesn't have to be as "perfect" as the ones taken with edocrab.
    Thanks for all the help.
    05-12-10 08:31 AM
    Edocrab is working fine on my S2.
    OP, on the new version there is not a button to take the picture. You hit scan and it will start looking for a bar code and will keep trying until it gets a good shot of one. Then it will start searching for the product.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I've got edocrab scanning a barcode ok, but then it searches forever and never finds any info. I've tried cereal, candy, etc. Have u ever gotten results from the searches??
    05-12-10 10:18 AM
    I have it working fine on the older versions. BUt, it doesn't work very often on food items. I did get a result on a large bag of my son's skittles...
    05-12-10 10:21 AM
    I have it working fine on the older versions. BUt, it doesn't work very often on food items. I did get a result on a large bag of my son's skittles...
    skittles was one of the items i tried scanning! LOL! no joy

i just entered (manually) the bar code for Lorna Doones. still no joy.

I tried several more (non food) items and nothing comes up when it searches.
    Last edited by dave1812; 05-12-10 at 10:52 AM.
    05-12-10 10:42 AM
    skittles was one of the items i tried scanning! LOL! no joy

i just entered (manually) the bar code for Lorna Doones. still no joy.

I tried several more (non food) items and nothing comes up when it searches.
    I have had it find several books for me, some Lego kits for my son. Certainly a little mixed on what it can find, but I have had more luck than not.
    05-12-10 11:43 AM
    I have had it find several books for me, some Lego kits for my son. Certainly a little mixed on what it can find, but I have had more luck than not.
    amazing. I've scanned all sorts of products besides food (at least a dozen items in total) and never get results from the search.
    05-12-10 03:10 PM
    amazing. I've scanned all sorts of products besides food (at least a dozen items in total) and never get results from the search.
    For me, it used to either find the product, or "successfully" fail to find one: it put up a dialog box saying that it could not find a product for the barcode,which it displayed. Now, it just is "Searching" forever until I abort it with the escape key. I really suspect that something in the later 5.0.0.x releases has broken it, since it seems that Storm2 users on .607 are seeing the same problem as I am seeing on Storm1 .591. Just wondering if those for whom it is working are on the .320 Storm2 OS?
    Last edited by CharlesH; 05-12-10 at 04:21 PM.
    05-12-10 04:17 PM
    I know this is about a month old topic. But I still can't get EDOCRAB to work for me on my S2 w/ .607

I think I read somewhere that it was a public beta and is now closed until it becomes official. I can't find for the life of me where I read that but does anyone know anything about that?

Or alternatives to edocrab? or how the **** to get it to work?

Thanks
    06-11-10 01:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD