The president dropped his blackberry Thursday while going up the red-carpeted Air Force One steps just before he was leaving Andrews Air Force Base and heading to Colorado.
    One might say, "POTUS dropped the BOTUS."

To wit:
    In Washington, many journalists often refer to the president as POTUS, short for "president of the United States."
    They also call the first lady FLOTUS, the vice president VPOTUS, the Supreme Court has its own acronym too, SCOTUS.
    Basically anything ending in "of the United States" can get the "OTUS" treatment.
    The press has even given a nickname to the teleprompter President Obama uses, it's known as TOTUS.
    So insert now - BOTUS, the very unofficial name for the "Blackberry of the United States" which serves a very official purpose for President Obama.
    There's even video (you can watch it after the jump). Obama is the first president to stay connected using the device as commander-in-chief.
    Dropping BOTUS is not something new for him, back in January of 2009 when he was still president-elect, his blackberry took a tumble at an airport tarmac while he was getting out of a vehicle. Back then a Secret Service agent rescued it and handed it back.
    This time, the president picked up the tiny mobile machine himself from the step, kept a tight grip on it in one hand and waved goodbye with the other before entering inside Air Force One.
    No word yet if today's incident caused injury to BOTUS
    Video: First Blackberry Takes a Tumble � Row 2, Seat 4
    05-10-10 02:47 PM
    Wouldn't it be called BlackBerry One or Comm One or something?
    05-10-10 02:50 PM
    Sounds like he has a habit of dropping it, hope he has a backup haha.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-10 05:42 PM
    Do we know what model he has or what service?
    05-10-10 07:26 PM
    I was wondering the model as well.
    05-10-10 07:31 PM
    The POTUS needs an OOTUS for his BOTUS (OOTUS - Otterbox*)
    05-10-10 09:04 PM
    Do we know what model he has or what service?
    I was wondering the model as well.
    Service - No clue
    Phone - 8830 World Edition
    05-10-10 09:23 PM
    When he was elected president, I remember seeing and few stories that he had Verizon. Employee got in some hot water for accessing his account. Might have changed now, I think the BB is only for his "personal use" and he has another smart phone for official government use. I will see if I can find that article.

05-10-10 09:29 PM
    When he was elected president, I remember seeing and few stories that he had Verizon. Employee got in some hot water for accessing his account. Might have changed now, I think the BB is only for his "personal use" and he has another smart phone for official government use. I will see if I can find that article.
    The phone the President uses for governmental business is the Sectera Edge

Google Image Result for http://www.businesspundit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/zzphone.gif

05-10-10 10:02 PM
    That looks might ugly imo. . No wonder he likes his bb so much.

05-11-10 06:42 AM
    if you read the article the 'BOTUS' isn't a blackberry its a WinMobile platform phone, not a big shocker though.
    05-11-10 07:54 AM
    I think "barack berry" is fitting seeing as how he is the only pres to use one.
    05-11-10 08:48 AM
    if you read the article the 'BOTUS' isn't a blackberry its a WinMobile platform phone, not a big shocker though.
    BOTUS is seperate and quite distinct from the Titanium framed, watertight to 60m, doubles as armored protection on SEAL operations... SOTUS that his aid packs around, just in case.
    05-11-10 12:29 PM
    That is a WM device. Oh well.
    05-11-10 03:30 PM
    from what I have read Obama uses a blackberry
    05-12-10 12:36 PM
    So.... does he use a BlackBerry, or doesn't he?

Apparently, the silver device he is "allowed" to use is being called a "BlackBerry"(but clearly isn't) because it's easier to just call it that.

And that phone he uses for gov't work is fugly as heck!
    Last edited by MACKSnare519; 05-12-10 at 02:55 PM.
    05-12-10 02:50 PM
    For the last time. He has a BlackBerry for personal use. He has a Sectera Edge for
    governmental use.
    05-12-10 02:57 PM
    For the last time. He has a BlackBerry for personal use. He has a Sectera Edge for
    governmental use.
    Well, the Sectera has the ability to do both with the push a button.
    05-12-10 03:08 PM
    Well, the Sectera has the ability to do both with the push a button.
    So what? What does that have to with whether or not he still uses an 8830? It has been well established that President Obama uses a Blackberry for personal use.

05-12-10 07:30 PM
    So what? What does that have to with whether or not he still uses an 8830? It has been well established that President Obama uses a Blackberry for personal use.

The articles and CNN alluded to them not allowing him to use a "regular" BlackBerry, which is the whole reason for the Sectera.
    05-12-10 10:03 PM
    Lol AG. You used your mod stick on poor little travelingfool. Sniff sniff.

05-12-10 10:20 PM
    Is that Sectera available to consumers?

A bunch of articles seem to being using blackberry as a generic term for all smartphones. Idiots.
    05-13-10 11:46 AM
    possibly, but for $2,500 iirc.
    05-13-10 11:49 AM
    Is that Sectera available to consumers?

A bunch of articles seem to being using blackberry as a generic term for all smartphones. Idiots.
    Not idiotic at all. There are some product names that have become the de facto
    description by virtue of their popularity.

Vaseline, Band-Aid, Q-Tip, Windex, Crock Pot, Pampers, etc...
    05-13-10 12:14 PM
    Exactly. Its like 'Google'. So mainstream now people refer to internet search engine searches as 'Googling it' and so fourth. When you reach this status you know you have a successful product!
    05-13-10 01:58 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD