Looks like Blackberry OS is number one in sales followed by Android and Apple is third.

NPD: Android now the No. 2 smartphone OS - FierceMobileContent

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-10 11:58 AM
    Moved to news and rumors and made the article an actual link
    05-10-10 12:30 PM
    RIM is gonna be the next to fall to the mighty behemoth that is Google

05-10-10 12:32 PM
    Interesting.
    05-10-10 12:42 PM
    Hmm. The numbers may shift around some more after the 4g drops.

05-10-10 01:08 PM
    I'm pretty sure when the 4G comes out that Iphone will go back to 2nd or maybe even 1st...... In any case I really don't care who's first or last...this has never influenced my decision. But great info and good read thanks
    05-10-10 01:43 PM
    I'm pretty sure when the 4G comes out that Iphone will go back to 2nd or maybe even 1st...... In any case I really don't care who's first or last...this has never influenced my decision. But great info and good read thanks
    Very true. At the same time, it's interesting to see now much Android has grown. Not too long ago, they were at around 10% market share.

05-10-10 02:40 PM
    I agree about sales not deciding wich way I should go, but its cool know. When iphone drops 4G, and 4g becomes available I'm wondering if blackberry will still be #1. We all know that OS6 is on its way and blackberry will get 4G as well.

05-10-10 05:19 PM
    Hopefully when OS 6 comes that lead would become bigger.

05-10-10 07:49 PM
    RIM is gonna be the next to fall to the mighty behemoth that is Google

Not bloody likely.
    05-10-10 08:52 PM

That's more likely.
    05-10-10 08:53 PM
    i hope you relies this is only in the states not world wide.
    Last edited by StAiChiLLiN; 05-10-10 at 10:51 PM.
    05-10-10 09:00 PM
    Interesting how RIM was at 42-43% and now 36, if this study is to believed. Sounds like theyre losing users to Android.

iPhone has lost a bit but I think they were only at 24 or 25% so its not as much. Its kind of expected when their newest phone is almost a year old and the flash of Android is still new and releasing devices every week or 2.

And I agree, when the new iphone hits this summer Id bet to see it shoot up past Android again. Its hard to compare a huge sudden barrage of devices in less than 2 months with one thats a nearly a year old when the refresh is coming in 4-5 weeks.

RIM needs OS6 VERY soon or I dont know if people will migrate back once theyve left. They dont have the flash to gain big numbers quick and OS6 isnt anything groundbreaking really
    05-10-10 09:13 PM
    that android is no joke. cant wait to see how the 6.0 OS will compete against the competition. maybee when it comes out next year if were lucky. im still waiting on the slider. lol
    05-10-10 10:09 PM
    that android is no joke. cant wait to see how the 6.0 OS will compete against the competition. maybee when it comes out next year if were lucky. im still waiting on the slider. lol
    Q3 of 2010.
    OS 6 would be better competition against Android.
    05-10-10 10:52 PM
    Q3 of 2010.
    OS 6 would be better competition against Android.
    Better, but I dont know if it has the draw to bring defectors back. Its still basically the same OS with some graphics and animations. People who left have left for apps, big screens, fluid OSs, etc. The "glamor factor"

I dont see the huge draw in OS6, or "it" factor," to bring any of these people back who have moved on to the grass on the other side and resigned contracts to get new phones already. Will it draw more people than current offerings? Sure. But will it be enough compared to the stiff competition is the real question as they continue to grow quickly. Like it or not iphone is going to pump out big numbers this summer/fall. And Android offerings are just getting better and better and getting more devices out there that people know as a brand now.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 05-11-10 at 01:33 AM.
    05-11-10 01:29 AM
    I am not sold on andriod...honestly don't think the OS is all that special...whoo, you have different home screens, more apps and a hair faster browser...

05-11-10 01:49 AM
    All the speculation about iPhone taking off on RIM when the 4G is introduced needs to be tempered by the fact that RIM will probably introduce a WiMax phone for Sprint and then a LTE phone for Verizon as will Android (they already have a WiMax.) No telling when ATT will deploy LTE. There could be another 3G iPhone before a 4G.
    05-11-10 08:24 AM
    Yea definitely Android has grown big time..... It's good for the market I think. More competition means more innovate products for us

Very true. At the same time, it's interesting to see now much Android has grown. Not too long ago, they were at around 10% market share.

05-11-10 10:05 AM
    true there is always going to be something new that comes out that will get our attention and some of our $$ ...... But i have never seen a phone make so much noise like the Iphone... Plus for most people in the US they are coming of there 2 year contract they got for the 3G ( here in Canada it's 3years) but im sure carriers will have an early upgrade option for us Canadians lol... since the Iphone is available on 5 networks here I don't see how they would risk loosing client for a couple of months. So yea all this to say that I think this 4G will be huge in sales because of it's timing. Maybe #1.... i could see that happening.

I agree about sales not deciding wich way I should go, but its cool know. When iphone drops 4G, and 4g becomes available I'm wondering if blackberry will still be #1. We all know that OS6 is on its way and blackberry will get 4G as well.

05-11-10 10:10 AM
    Funny, what length droid apologists will go to support wishful thinking.

05-11-10 10:12 AM
    Better, but I dont know if it has the draw to bring defectors back. Its still basically the same OS with some graphics and animations. People who left have left for apps, big screens, fluid OSs, etc. The "glamor factor"

I dont see the huge draw in OS6, or "it" factor," to bring any of these people back who have moved on to the grass on the other side and resigned contracts to get new phones already. Will it draw more people than current offerings? Sure. But will it be enough compared to the stiff competition is the real question as they continue to grow quickly. Like it or not iphone is going to pump out big numbers this summer/fall. And Android offerings are just getting better and better and getting more devices out there that people know as a brand now.
    For me its whats inside that counts for OS 6. If it brings easier development for apps, faster OS, Browser etc. and maybe even consumer friendliness then its well worth maybe sticking around. RIMs is #1 in the states and if they bring easier development with OS 6 then RIM could start saying "theres an app for that" also. And we all see the Millions of people that love apps.
    Apple is gonna do good no matter what.
    Android is rising quick, and with all their snapdragon powered phones, i see why.
    05-11-10 01:21 PM
    Ah, just found this tidbit. Always more than meets the eye to these "studys"

“Methodology: The NPD Group compiles and analyzes mobile device sales data based on more than 150,000 completed online consumer research surveys each month."

How you project 150,000 online surveys into tens of millions of smartphone users to determine something so volatile as marketshare and making some big claims about it is beyond me.

Its not TRUE marketshare figures. The only TRUE marketshare figure is by how many devices are sold.

So take it with a HUGE grain of salt because this study really proves nothing while claiming a lot is in stone
    Last edited by stuaw11; 05-11-10 at 01:55 PM.
    05-11-10 01:47 PM
    Very unlikely to happen. Android will have a 4G phone out soon (HTC Evo 4G) and the Iphone 4G will be out. While more and more people who have RIM products currently are getting unhappy.
    05-11-10 09:09 PM
    Looks like Blackberry OS is number one in sales followed by Android and Apple is third.

NPD: Android now the No. 2 smartphone OS - FierceMobileContent

I'm sure this was posted a couple days ago.

05-12-10 07:55 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD