Greetings to all knowledgeable ones, please I need help understanding the following. I am the proud owner of a Blackberry Storm 9530/OS 5.0.

I tried to download a third party application and my device is saying that I do not have enough memory to install it. I don't have many programs installed in my device; under options/memory says:

Application Memory Free Space: 2.3 MB
    Device Memory Total Space: 879.2 MB
    Free Space: 858.0 MB

Is there a way to increase the "Application Memory" to be able to intall more apps (I remembered intalling lots of apps in my old Curve) so I don't understand why I have so much "Device Memory Free Space" and not been able to download a simple app.

Can someone please help me understand?...

Thank you so much.
    05-10-10 10:26 AM
    Your free space is way too low, you may need to do a battery pull and/or delete some apps that you don't use as often. Battery pulls are a frequent necessity with this phone unfortunately. Your free space memory will usually increase when you do a battery pull, which will allow you to download new apps. Hope this helps!
    05-10-10 10:35 AM
    The Device memory is for things like photos, music, and the like that could be saved there instead of a memory card. It's separate from application memory and unfortunately saving apps there will not be possible.

What apps do you currently have, along with themes (any and all)? One (or more) of them might not be playing nice and leaking memory.
    05-10-10 11:21 AM
    If you just purchased your new STORM... TAKE IT BACK and get something different. If you have had it over 30-Days.... welcome to the wonderful world of the STORM.

It is a lot like my first car a Red 1966 Ford Mustang, a beautiful car that looked fast standing still.... but with a 6 Cylinder 120HP engine that left me wanting more.

Things you need to know about this underpowered beast you know have:

1) Battery Pull at least once a week is a requirement. (much better than the once a day that was required when it first came out)

2) Need to make sure you CLOSE/EXIT all applications, STORM can multitask unlike another popular phone on the market... But you will end up with tasks that are running and you didn't even relize it. They will eat up your battery and kill your very limited application memory.

3) Be vary wary of 3rd Party Applications - most will have memory leaks that cause an increase in the amount of memory that they use the longer they are running. And some are great applications like CARDSTAR, but they are just too large and take up too much of your limited application memory.

4) Stay away of THEMES, there are some really great ones out there (Matrix theme I tried a couple of weeks ago had a really cool background with motion) but STORM just does not play well in the long run any I have tried, there is always problem (Matrix theme didn't play well with my device password, screen stayed on and drained the battery).

5) Do a search for Shrink-A-OS, great program that can shrink some of the fluff out of the OS before you load in on your phone and thus free up a little of your app memory.

6) Along with Shrink-A-OS learn how to wipe your phone and install a new OS (or even the old one). Can help to clean out the phone and improve performance.
    05-10-10 11:40 AM
    Thank you very much for the replies, I now have a better understanding.
    05-10-10 12:07 PM
    Thank you for your reply, yes indeed I was very dissapointed when I changed from my old Curve to the Storm, I will change it as soon as possible. Thanks again for all the info and knowledge.
    05-10-10 12:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD