Hi,
    I use BBM and always thought that it's free, but I found out that it's free only when one has an unlimited data plan. So my question is, what is the advantage of the Blackberry messenger over Yahoo IM or Google talk? (they are, as I understand it, are also free with an unlimited data plan.)

And is data plan same as BIS(Blackberry Internet Service)?

Thanx in advantece 4 ur help.

Adam
    Last edited by Hatzlacha; 05-10-10 at 09:30 AM.
    05-10-10 09:22 AM
    The biggest advantage is it's already installed on other BB devices. Plus it's easy to transfer pictures, contacts, etc via BBM
    05-10-10 09:26 AM
    Yes, BIS = data plan.

BBM is only an advantage if the other person also has a BB, especially
    if they are in another country. No international texting rates.

Compared to the other IM platforms, the advantage is negligible and usually a
    matter of user preference.
    05-10-10 09:45 AM
    It is rumored to use less data than the other IM platforms.
    05-10-10 09:58 AM
    You can also see when your message has been delivered and when the other person has read it. You can also see when they are typing you a reply. It is basically an instantaneous way of communicating. Yahoo Messenger sometimes take a few minutes to show up.
    05-10-10 10:10 AM
    The biggest advantage is that you can transfer photos, videos and voice notes with bbm. With gtalk, for instance, you cannot. I find that a real pain in the arse.

I find BBM very useful for a number of reasons, mostly because you are able to go past the 160 character limit per message!
    05-10-10 10:41 AM
    I find BBM very useful for a number of reasons, mostly because you are able to go past the 160 character limit per message!
    And is there a limit on Google Talk or Yahoo, or other IM's?

Do other IM charge for international?
    05-10-10 11:07 AM
    Oh I'm sorry, I don't believe there is any limit to Yahoo or Gtalk either. I guess my comment was comparing BBM to SMS.
    Sorry for the confusion.
    As for international...BBM is free as long as you have a data plan, as, I believe are the other services.
    Someone will correct me if I am wrong.
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 05-10-10 at 01:19 PM.
    05-10-10 01:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD