Hello all,
    Have a question. Just saw a news story on our local Sacramento news about malware and spyware on cell phones. Kind of gave me the creeps what can be done nowadays. Anyway, they showed someone actually installing a malware program - on a Blackberry Storm! - and it was able to capture all emails, sms's, voice mails, track you in realtime via GPS, and could even listen in on calls! I'm really not sure just how prevalant this is, and I'm sure that it was just a typical news story to get everyone all upset, but the fact that they showed that it could be done on a Blackberry made me a bit upset. I thought they were supposed to be really secure?

I've got a copy of Lookout mobile security on my phone at the moment, but it seems to only look for viruses, unless malware is included in that, I don't know. I've never seen it find anything on mine though. I'm just curious, how serious a threat is this? And if it really is something to worry about, is there a good program to use to either find and remove or block these types of programs? I'm just upset that it's now just one more thing I have to protect against idiots out there.

-capT
    05-10-10 01:03 AM
    for real check this out i think bb appworld has some anti virus software for bb
    05-10-10 01:08 AM
    Hello all,
    Anyway, they showed someone actually installing a malware program - on a Blackberry Storm! - and it was able to capture all emails, sms's, voice mails, track you in realtime via GPS, and could even listen in on calls! I'm really not sure just how prevalant this is, and I'm sure that it was just a typical news story to get everyone all upset, but the fact that they showed that it could be done on a Blackberry made me a bit upset. I thought they were supposed to be really secure?
    The part I bolded above is the key point. In order for an application like this to get installed YOU have to install it. Its not like on a PC for example where malware can install without your knowledge. Then after installing you have to grant the application trusted permissions. The device is only as secure as the user using it. Just more sensationalized journalism not giving the full story. Your best protection against this is to know what you are installing on your device before you do it.
    05-10-10 08:32 AM
    lol thats funny
    05-10-10 08:44 AM
    There is no known documented virus for the BlackBerry...
    05-10-10 08:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD