Not for nothing but this device looks much more useable than the Pearl Flip ever did in terms of screen, keyboard, and definitely internal specs. And my personal opinion is it doesn't look that bad either.

I don't remember so many people going bananas over RIM creating a Pearl Flip so what's with all the clamshell bashing?
    05-09-10 10:30 PM
    I dunno, this is the Blackberry I've wanted since day 1. Hopefully, Sprint will carry it!
    05-09-10 10:54 PM
    I think alot of it comes down to personal preference. When the Pearl flip was first introduced people were taken aback as it so deviated away from the form factor that people were accustomed to from RIM and I think the same applies with the clamshell design.
    05-09-10 11:39 PM
    I like it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-10 11:42 PM
    i'm suprised to say... as one that was totally against the phone from the begining.. it's growing on me as i see more pics.... not really into flip phones, lookin better than the first few pics of it though.. but still would love and prefer to have the slider
    05-09-10 11:52 PM
    I will be rocking the crap out of this one for sure!
    05-10-10 12:35 AM
    I really wish there were a GSM version. I'd grab it for sure! Loved it from the first shot.
    05-10-10 01:58 AM
    This is a device that has definitely grown on me. The hands on video did a lot to improve my opinion of it. Can't wait to try it out in person.
    05-10-10 11:06 AM
    I think most BlackBerry users have a genetic aversion to flip phones. I hate 'em, myself. I've never owned one, but my son and my wife have, and they always feel like they are about to break. I will admit, my son's last Nokia was a decent flip phone. Good quality, and a push-button, spring-loaded flip.

I might consider this if it had the push-button release and came in a GSM flavor, but right now, it's a just a tad....unrefined.
    05-10-10 01:40 PM
    Yes I would prefer the slider, OR if this thing had a touch screen, now THAT would be sweet, maybe the 9690!
    05-10-10 02:28 PM
    This thing is a little bit smaller than the 960 when folded. The point of a flip phone is to decrease the size of the device while this thing isn't that much smaller than several blackberries out. That thing is hideous.
    05-10-10 03:28 PM
    I still don't think this is the phone for me. Although until my first BlackBerry, a Curve 8320, I preferred flip phones.

I never really thought the point of a flip was to make the device smaller. I thought that form factor had a couple other functions.

First is protection. The main screen and keyboard are inside the "clam shell". It's really easy to throw the phone in your pocket and not worry about the screen being damaged or making calls accidentally.

Second, the shape and length of a flip is closer to a traditional phone when opened. The speaker is near your ear while the microphone is in front of your mouth - instead of next to your cheek. So it could be argued that the point of a flip is actually to make it bigger. Truthfully, since moving up to BlackBerry, I hate using the phone without a headset. That's the downside of the candybar form factor, IMO. It's a pain to use as a phone.

05-10-10 03:54 PM
    I will be rocking the crap out of this one for sure!
    +1

05-10-10 04:19 PM
    As soon as US Cellular has one I will have one
    05-10-10 06:20 PM
    All I know is I see a ton of flip phone users out there. They are used to the design. Everyone sees the advantage of a full keyboard. I think this has the potential to be many people's first smartphone. RIM should have done a touchscreen landscape slider also, as those sell by the truckload. Almost every dumphone user has one of these 2 form factors here in the US.

05-11-10 05:49 AM
    I never really thought the point of a flip was to make the device smaller. I thought that form factor had a couple other functions.

First is protection. The main screen and keyboard are inside the "clam shell". It's really easy to throw the phone in your pocket and not worry about the screen being damaged or making calls accidentally.

Second, the shape and length of a flip is closer to a traditional phone when opened. The speaker is near your ear while the microphone is in front of your mouth - instead of next to your cheek. So it could be argued that the point of a flip is actually to make it bigger.

The original design of the flip was so you can still have keypad and screen of the phone without compromising the size of either. So you make so the device can fold into a compact size. So you now still have basically the same size device except it now folds. And protection is sort of a benefit of the flip phone not the purpose. They didn't start making flip phones just for protection which is why holsters and cases have been available forever. Flips where made to make a device more compact without losing features, screen size or compromise keyboard space. So the protection just happens t be the benefit. Same thing with laptops computers. Sure you could have a laptop that doesn't close but how big would that be if you have to keep a physical keyboard?
    05-11-10 03:03 PM
    They didn't start making flip phones just for protection which is why holsters and cases have been available forever.
    I call bull

the microphone is on the main body and not on the flip
    05-11-10 05:28 PM
    i like the slider better but the clamshell is not badd
    05-11-10 05:35 PM
    LOL...funny thread. Personally, I find the phone aesthetically hideous, so that's my primary objection. Really, it looks like a black, cow turd.

As to the whole "flip" concept, I'm not adverse to that. When I got my first BB, that was the first thing I realized, how much more fragile the device was in terms of cradling it in your neck. The flip phones did have their advantages so I'm not saying I don't think RIM ought to have one, but they should have hired better designers for this baby!
    05-11-10 05:39 PM
    I call bull

the microphone is on the main body and not on the flip
    Exactly. My first flip had a removable "mouthpiece". No active electronics whatsoever, just a cover and/or sound-concentrator.

05-11-10 06:43 PM
    build it in pink and I will buy it for my wife. i don't see how she can stand to text on a flip dumb phone.
    05-11-10 10:41 PM
    It's probably the most god awful thing RIM has put out. For a company that has had good hardware, this is several steps backward.
    05-12-10 12:59 PM
    It's probably the most god awful thing RIM has put out. For a company that has had good hardware, this is several steps backward.
    This coming from someone who owns a Fuze AND a backflip, LOL! j/k
    05-12-10 01:54 PM
    this coming from someone who owns a fuze and a backflip, lol! j/k
    hahahahahahahaha pk!!!!!!
    05-12-10 02:50 PM
    I think this is just an outlet for people who are getting frustrated with Blackberry and what they have done to compete in a new market.

We all have seen HTC take off with all there phones. Apple is still killing and there newest phone looks sick, and i hate apple. Windows 7 series phone looks awesome.

And now 2010 we seen one of the biggest phone companies come out with a slider and a flip.......

Maybe this is all a decoy and next month they are going to announce the Storm 3 and have it be one of the sickest phones ever made!!!

I know Blackberry wants to have phones for the masses, give people options.

But we see where everybody is going and we see what Blackberry is spending there time doing.
    05-12-10 02:59 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD