On my 9700 this was turned off by default. After playing with a Storm I wondered if this would be also useful on a device with a physical keyboard.

It does speed things along but I find it a bit distracting to interact with and select words while I'm holding a thought in my head. But maybe I need to get used to it.

What do you think, is it as useful with full physical keyboards?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-10 07:06 PM
    Personally, I can't stand it. But I'm sure someone finds it useful.
    05-09-10 07:08 PM
    On the Pearl it is a great tool, but with a full qwerty keyboard, not as much. I find just having spell check is enough.
    05-09-10 07:27 PM
    Personally, I can't stand it. But I'm sure someone finds it useful.
    Same here. Unless I was using a Pearl.
    05-09-10 07:32 PM
    I love predictive text. It should be an option on all Blackberrys. *I am drinking now though *

Last edited by TequilaAddict; 05-10-10 at 12:35 AM.
    05-09-10 08:09 PM
    When I had a Storm, I found it very useful and had it on. Now that I have a Curve, no way since I have a full keyboard.

05-09-10 08:33 PM
    I use it

05-09-10 09:34 PM
    Don't care for it myself but can see where others would get a lot of use out of it. Nice that we have so many options with our phones!
    05-09-10 09:48 PM
    Don't believe that's an option on my 8350i Curve...so I don't know if I like it or not.

Guess I'm neutral

05-09-10 10:04 PM
    I've never used it on my Curve,' never had to. On my Storm, and I would imagine the Pearl, it is a must. It is still irritating, but my fat fingers would never get a complete thought typed out with the small letters on the keyboard.

05-09-10 10:25 PM
    I do not see any use for it on a device with a QWERTY keyboard. Spell-check is all I need.

I could see where predictive text would be useful on a Pearl.
    05-09-10 10:50 PM
    I do not see any use for it on a device with a QWERTY keyboard. Spell-check is all I need.
    +1. Predictive text drives me crazy on any device. Not going there on the BB.
    05-10-10 07:06 AM
    I detest predictive text. It never predicts what I want to type very well and when I try to type in some shorthand style it would always input a word I didn't want. I kept having to retype words. Awful experience.
    05-10-10 07:27 AM
    The only time I use predictive text is with big words.

It is worthless on qwerty keyboards imo. It is awesome on the pearl tho.
    05-10-10 08:37 AM
    I turned it on once and then immediately turned it back off.
    05-10-10 08:52 AM
    I'm odd. I use it on my Tour. I find it handy for big words. The only thing I hate is how it capitalizes automatically when you're in the middle of a sentence. I need to find the option to turn that off if I can.
    05-10-10 12:38 PM
    I was about to say, maybe it's useful when drunk texting so you don't have to type out every word. I used to use predictive text a lot for that. Now I try to avoid drunk texting for other reasons... Haha. Besides that, I type out words so fast on my qwerty, that I don't really feel the need for predictive text, it's just easier to hit every letter.
    05-10-10 02:58 PM
    Always have had qwerty bb's and wanted predicitive typing for years, then I got it on the Tour, and turned it off after a few days.
    05-10-10 03:01 PM
    I use Word Completion as predictive messes me up.
    05-10-10 04:47 PM
    It doesn't seem like there is a need for it. With such a great qwerty keyboard that BlackBerry devices have. You really shouldn't need it. I am crazy accurate with my Tour. And if I do make a mistake, the spell check usually catches it.

05-10-10 06:53 PM
    Well, I guess that's why I love the predictive text... I never have used Spell Check.
    I know how to spell every word that I would type using my phone.
    05-10-10 07:38 PM
    I know how to spell also, but instead of correcting the spelling mistakes caused by keyboard error as you go along, I have it set to automatically check spelling when you send. That way, you're not interrupted as you are getting the thought down. It's also nice because you can add words to the SpellCheck that will be skipped in the future. Between that and AutoText, it's a breeze to type on the BB.

Predictive text might be more useful when typing the message body, etc. I usually encounter it when trying to do an Enterprise Activation, for instance and it doesn't work well for email address parts and the like...
    05-10-10 08:32 PM
    well in BBM of course I set it off since you cant freely express urself with shot codes if the prediction is on all the time.
    05-10-10 08:59 PM
    I turned it on for the first time on my Bold 9000 last week and ended up turning it off again. I actually liked it better than I thought I would but it had a weird bug(?) that I just couldn't get by. When your word is highlighted, hitting enter is supposed to complete the word and enter a space. When there was only one choice for a word, though, it would enter the word and then go to the next line (or send your text if you have "Send on Enter" turned on). Anyone else ever notice that, or is it just me and/or my phone?
    05-11-10 07:37 AM
    I detest predictive text. It never predicts what I want to type very well and when I try to type in some shorthand style it would always input a word I didn't want. I kept having to retype words. Awful experience.
    +1. Worst option ever.
    05-11-10 10:16 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD