What's the difference between hybrid and regular OS and if hybrids are a good thing what's the best OS out now on the Bold 9000?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-10 02:00 PM
    A hybrid OS just takes files from different versions of the OS to try to get the best features of each version. I use the official 5.0.0.592 from Azercell and have had excellent luck with it.
    05-08-10 02:13 PM
    Ya I have the same OS but I like .509's battery life better haha but I'd like to try a hybrid OS hopefully the best one out there

05-08-10 02:34 PM
    Official OS = Tested and released by carriers
    Hybrid OS = Created from a hodgepodge of other OSs for usually ridiculous reasons.

The real question should be do you want to trust your phone and data to a
    professionally tested OS or one the was cobbled together by someone who
    may or may not know what they are doing?

I avoid hybrid OSs like the plague.
    05-08-10 02:43 PM
    I'm with AG on this one!
    05-08-10 02:48 PM
    Official OS = Tested and released by carriers
    Hybrid OS = Created from a hodgepodge of other OSs for usually ridiculous reasons.

The real question should be do you want to trust your phone and data to a
    professionally tested OS or one the was cobbled together by someone who
    may or may not know what they are doing?

I avoid hybrid OSs like the plague.
    Why can it screw up your phone cuz I heard good reviews about it and i'm wanting an OS with a great battery life fast browser speeds and no memory leak and the one I have now the official .592 has memory leaks sometimes and the battery life isn't that good so i'm looking into hybrids on that i'm doing some research on it first just for the safety of my phone hehe

05-08-10 03:00 PM
    First of all get a few things in your head:

1) Most memory leaks are not meory leaks. The ones that are have more to do with
    one or more applications than it does the OS.

2) I defy you to show me anywhere where a hybrider presented truly empirical
    and verifiable evidence that their "Franken-OS" provides better battery life. They
    don't because they can't. Full Stop.

3) Additionally there is no evidence to support that a hybrid OS provides better
    browser speed. No, people posting here don't count. Most are either parroting
    what others have said or reporting a mistaken perception.

As to the safety of the phone I'd much more trust it to the carrier. If the OS
    screws up my phone the carrier will fix or replace it. Will a hybrider do that for
    you? Right, didn't think so. And how much help will your carrier be when they
    ask what OS do you have and you say "well it is a hybrid using .xxx as a base
    with the radio from .yyy and elements from .zzz, .aaa, .fff. Get used to the sound
    of a dial tone.
    05-08-10 03:16 PM
    What AG is exactly the reason why people are so ignorant about hybrids. There is such a small chance of error for messing up your phone that's it practically none. The "professional" made OS's are usually made wrong, and have a ton of errors, and that's what hybrids are there for.

Take in example .566 for the 9700. The OS had a bad media app, SMS issues, and the application switcher got messed up frequently. Now why would any "professional" make that error. Worst part about it was that it was released officially by carriers, who obviously did not test it and proves my point that there will be errors made by "professionals". Nothing is perfect, not even hybrids.
    Last edited by PwnCakes193; 05-08-10 at 03:20 PM.
    05-08-10 03:17 PM
    What AG is exactly the reason why people are so ignorant about hybrids. There is such a small chance of error for messing up your phone that's it practically none. The "professional" made OS's are usually made wrong, and have a ton of errors, and that's what hybrids are there for.

Take in example .566 for the 9700. The OS had a bad media app, SMS issues, and the application switcher got messed up frequently. Now why would any "professional" make that error. Worst part about it was that it was released officially by carriers, who obviously did not test it and proves my point that there will be errors made by "professionals". Nothing is perfect, not even hybrids.
    Exactly they take the good parts of the OS and put it all into one. But AG is right the carrier won't fix a phone with a hybrid OS but my phone is originally from Rogers and i'm with fido (Currently owned by Rogers) and also its unlocked so my warrenty on it is void.

05-08-10 03:24 PM
    even if a hybrid does mess up your phone can't you just revert back to the carrier os ? see if that fixes the issue.. if not then call the carrier? then how would they know you had it on there, keeping your warranty in effect.. jail breaking an i-Phone voids the warranty on those phones but if you sync it with i-tunes it de-jail breakafies it right ?.. thus they never knew it "was" jail broken.. keeping the warranty in effect.... correct me if i'm wrong ?

I personally would rather stick to carrier OS's even if it's not my carrier im with sprint on VZW's .508 OS.... never used a hybrid, nor care to..
    Last edited by fedge; 05-08-10 at 03:34 PM.
    05-08-10 03:32 PM

If you are trying to sell me on the efficacy of hybrids you can tell your story
    walking.

If the stuff the hybriders put out was as good as purported there would, as
    I said, be empirical and verifiable evidence to support that. The onus is on
    the hybriders to do so and not one has. Wonder why?

You can debase the "professionals" as much as you like but I need my phone
    to work, for personal and professional reasons, so I will not be trusting it
    to amateurs. The true ignorance come in the form of people who buy into
    the belief that hybriders got it right when no one else could. That is rich.

Small chance does not mean no chance. If I load your hybrid and it bricks
    my phone are you going to provide me support and if all else fails buy me a
    new one. NO YOU AND THE REST WILL NOT!! You will just fall back on your
    "proceed at your own risk" warning. The "professionals" will at least make it right.

Also, through 5 BlackBerrys (8100, 8310, 9000, 8900, 9700) and a ton of OSs, I have yet to load
    an official OS that ever "broke" anything. The majority of the reports that an OS
    did are quite frankly user error which opened the door for the kitchen table OSs.
    05-08-10 03:38 PM
    even if a hybrid does mess up your phone can't you just revert back to the carrier os ? see if that fixes the issue.. if not then call the carrier? then how would they know you had it on there, keeping your warranty in effect.. jail breaking an i-Phone voids the warranty on those phones but if you sync it with i-tunes it de-jail breakafies it right ?.. thus they never knew it "was" jail broken.. keeping the warranty in effect.... correct me if i'm wrong ?
    Ya I was thinking the exact same too so no worries but i'm jus trying it out that's all

05-08-10 03:39 PM
    If you are trying to sell me on the efficacy of hybrids you can tell your story
    walking.

If the stuff the hybriders put out was as good as purported there would, as
    I said, be empirical and verifiable evidence to support that.

You can debase the "professionals" as much as you like but I need my phone
    to work, for personal and professional reasons, so I will not be trusting it
    to amateurs. The true ignorance come in the form of people who buy into the belief that hybriders got it right when no one else could. That is rich.

Small chance does not mean no chance. If I load your hybrid and it bricks
    my phone are you going to provide me support and if all else fails buy me a
    new one. NO YOU AND THE REST WILL NOT!! You will just fall back on your
    "proceed at your own risk" warning. The "professionals" will at least make it right.
    I had to replace my 9000 7 times due to those "professionally" made OS's. They refused to start booting and would sometimes disconnect me off of the network at random time. 7 different phones. What a coincidence right? ATT would not help me either, so good luck there.

And if you ask anyone who has tried my hybrids, I have given immediate and full support. I do everything in my power to help them out. I probably won't be able to get you a new phone, but some sweet talk to a carrier will.

I'm not saying that I got it right when nobody else could, I'm just saying that we try to fix issues and we try to make everything a little better. I can't fix the whole SMS threading issue, I can't fix the browser speed, I can't fix messed up phone screens, I just try to make everything a little bit more liveable.

And for calling an entire group of people on these forums ignorant you should be stripped of your moderator status. Just sayin'
    05-08-10 03:51 PM
    lugman: A better idea is to work through what your issues are and fix those within
    the OS you have. Trust me on this, hybrids are far from a silver bullet and you will
    be better off from going through the steps of diagnostics.
    05-08-10 03:52 PM
    I had to replace my 9000 7 times due to those "professionally" made OS's. They refused to start booting and would sometimes disconnect me off of the network at random time. 7 different phones. What a coincidence right? ATT would not help me either, so good luck there.

And if you ask anyone who has tried my hybrids, I have given immediate and full support. I do everything in my power to help them out. I probably won't be able to get you a new phone, but some sweet talk to a carrier will.

I'm not saying that I got it right when nobody else could, I'm just saying that we try to fix issues and we try to make everything a little better. I can't fix the whole SMS threading issue, I can't fix the browser speed, I can't fix messed up phone screens, I just try to make everything a little bit more liveable.

And for calling an entire group of people on these forums ignorant you should be stripped of your moderator status. Just sayin'
    First, comprehension is obviously not your strong suit or you wish to feign
    umbrage where none is warranted. I did not call anyone ignorant, I called
    the faith in the "work" of hybriders ignorant. Got it.

Bottom line, I have had to fix more phones with hybrid OSs than I can count.
    That experience alone tells me all I need to know. You can give it up because
    there is absolutely NOTHING you can say that will make me move off my
    position that hybrids are, there is no charitable way to say this, so I'll leave
    it to your imagination.
    05-08-10 04:01 PM
    Hmm, I thought Blackberries were nearly impossible to brick?

So for example, how would one fix a Bluetooth low volume issue that appears for multiple people, with the same OS. I mean, i know a hybrid can fix it but I want to try to "work through what your issues are and fix those within
    the OS you have".
    05-08-10 04:10 PM
    Bottom line, I have had to fix more phones with hybrid OSs than I can count.
    Very curious to know what issues the hybrids caused here too.
    05-08-10 04:12 PM
    by the way, lets not put too much faith in carriers here...

RIM: UAE Carrier's Blackberry Update Was Spyware - PCWorld Business Center
    05-08-10 04:19 PM
    Quoted: "by the way, lets not put too much faith in carriers here..."

Good point, Blacklac. Hybrid=innovation in my book. Wouldn't have cell phones without innovation
    05-08-10 04:24 PM
    Edited comment below!
    Last edited by luqman24; 05-08-10 at 05:19 PM.
    05-08-10 05:15 PM
    Haha wow amazinglygraceless, In ur experience of "fixing" bricked phones with hybrids have u come across downgrading to the last official OS of the carrier and if it doesn't detect your phone removing the battery and plugging the usb in? If u tried that then there shouldn't be an issue. Maybe u should admire what people know for once and apparently I just proved u wrong there. i'm not trying to be mean or anything, its just that your ignorance is getting back at u. But all in all, bricked phones can be fixed and hybrids are the best OSes because they take the best parts of the original OS and put it into one OS. Yes there not supported by your carrier and RIM but there's always a way around everything. And btw there are professional hybriders like Willboy but I do my research and checkout the reviews before I upgrade to an OS. So I think I should be fine now

05-08-10 05:17 PM
    Haha wow amazinglygraceless, In ur experience of "fixing" bricked phones with hybrids have u come across downgrading to the last official OS of the carrier and if it doesn't detect your phone removing the battery and plugging the usb in? If u tried that then there shouldn't be an issue. Maybe u should admire what people know for once and apparently I just proved u wrong there. i'm not trying to be mean or anything, its just that your ignorance is getting back at u. But all in all, bricked phones can be fixed and hybrids are the best OSes because they take the best parts of the original OS and put it into one OS. Yes there not supported by your carrier and RIM but there's always a way around everything.

Not quite. First of all I never said the phones I fixed were bricked. They
    simply inherited more problems than they had to begin with.

If your assumption is these were my own phones then you haven't been
    paying attention.

What I have always found is that once the problem that led a person to
    load a hybrid was explained, loading an official OS and working through the
    basic corrective steps always rendered an better user experience.

If you wish to call that ignorance, fine but seeing as you are the one who
    posted a thread admittedly not knowing the difference between a hybrid and
    an official OS I'd have to say that you have proved nothing of merit.
    Especially that in less than three pages you are speaking as an expert
    on the matter of hybrids.

Do what you wish, it is your phone. We will be here to help when you
    run into problems.
    05-08-10 05:26 PM
    We should correct that. We will be here for you IF you run into problems, which shouldn't be more than the regular OS
    05-08-10 05:30 PM
    This is a great argument LOL!

I'm on PC's side, quality hybrids are tested by the hybrid community, any issues are worked on after feedback to the hybrid creator in the appropriate forums (crackberry, driphter.com, bbhybrids.net, to name a few).

I love hybrids, a much better alternative than the official releases. On the 8520 the official OS releases are riddles with bugs, on the latest hybrid (thanks to PwnCakes) I haven't had an issue yet.

-judge a tree by it's fruit I say-

Also I love messing around with gadgets anyways, I bricked my bb many times LOL, but it's to easy to wipe, reset and reload.

It's the guys with the level of OS understanding like the Hybrid makers & users that help other users with solving their issues.

Anyway... Hybrids all the way
    05-08-10 06:35 PM
    Quoted: This is a great argument LOL!

I'm on PC's side, quality hybrids are tested by the hybrid community, any issues are worked on after feedback to the hybrid creator in the appropriate forums (crackberry, driphter.com, bbhybrids.net, to name a few).

I love hybrids, a much better alternative than the official releases. On the 8520 the official OS releases are riddles with bugs, on the latest hybrid (thanks to PwnCakes) I haven't had an issue yet.

-judge a tree by it's fruit I say-

Also I love messing around with gadgets anyways, I bricked my bb many times LOL, but it's to easy to wipe, reset and reload.

It's the guys with the level of OS understanding like the Hybrid makers & users that help other users with solving their issues.

Anyway... Hybrids all the way

I concur wholeheartedly
    05-08-10 07:04 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD