My headphone jack has become very buggy recently. My headphones / car aux port only work on the left side unless I keep turning the headphone until i can find the one spot it works on.

Any suggestions? So many apps + settings I'd hate to have to get another one from verizon and i dont want to fall in the deadly loop of refurbished models.
    05-08-10 01:07 PM
    I would suggest a Q-Tip dripped in rubbing alcohol...that's what is usually used/suggested for cleaning electical contacts.
    05-08-10 01:35 PM
    an 1/8" drill bit should clean it out nicely.
    05-08-10 01:49 PM
    The same thing just happened to me. I would have to hold pressure on the connector with any headset I tried or the right channel would not work. The stereo pin was broken (according to someone in the Verizon store who tried to clean it). They said they might be able to get it to work temporarily, but ended up sending me a refurb. And yes, it is a huge PITA to get everything moved over, upgraded, activation codes, etc. The phone stuff itself restored really easy, it's the apps that are making me crazy. I have two that were working perfectly on my old phone and won't work on this one. Crazy-making, time-consuming, BUT I can now hear in stereo. There's that.
    05-08-10 02:22 PM
    The same thing just happened to me. I would have to hold pressure on the connector with any headset I tried or the right channel would not work. The stereo pin was broken (according to someone in the Verizon store who tried to clean it). They said they might be able to get it to work temporarily, but ended up sending me a refurb. And yes, it is a huge PITA to get everything moved over, upgraded, activation codes, etc. The phone stuff itself restored really easy, it's the apps that are making me crazy. I have two that were working perfectly on my old phone and won't work on this one. Crazy-making, time-consuming, BUT I can now hear in stereo. There's that.
    Same issue here. I told verizon about it and they sent me a new phone. Happened to my S1 too. Maybe this is a defect?
    05-08-10 02:31 PM
    If all else fails, there's always A2DP stereo Bluetooth!
    05-08-10 02:40 PM
    Not a defect- inserting and removing the jack into any mp3 player or phone often enough or carrying it in a pocket with the jack inserted, etc. will put enough pressure on the jack over time to break it away from the solder connection inside.
    05-08-10 04:00 PM
    Not a defect- inserting and removing the jack into any mp3 player or phone often enough or carrying it in a pocket with the jack inserted, etc. will put enough pressure on the jack over time to break it away from the solder connection inside.
    huh? of course it's a defect! I own plenty of electronic items with headphone jacks, have used them for YEARS, and have yet to have a jack go "belly up". A bad headphone jack is a defect--period.
    05-08-10 04:02 PM
    Okay Dave- whatever you say.
    05-08-10 04:20 PM
    Okay Dave- whatever you say.
    nah, on second thought, let's go with your idea that a broken headphone jack isn't "really" a defect...that makes infinitely more sense than my earlier comment.
    05-08-10 04:41 PM
    try a different cable? I just noticed this issue (on my nearly brand new phone) the other day with the headphones that came with it. Well i have some nice cans I was using before and they never had this issue. I just tried the cans again and they work perfect. Kind of makes me think (in my own issue) it is just the crappy ones that came with my phone.
    05-08-10 04:51 PM
    try a different cable? I just noticed this issue (on my nearly brand new phone) the other day with the headphones that came with it. Well i have some nice cans I was using before and they never had this issue. I just tried the cans again and they work perfect. Kind of makes me think (in my own issue) it is just the crappy ones that came with my phone.
    I'm experiencing the opposite.
    I have a pair of Sony headset that I use with my laptop. When attempting to use the Sony on my Strorm2, I have to insert it several times before I can hear anything.

The headset that cam with my Storm2 works flawlessly.

Good Luck
    05-08-10 05:15 PM
    I'm experiencing the opposite.
    I have a pair of Sony headset that I use with my laptop. When attempting to use the Sony on my Strorm2, I have to insert it several times before I can hear anything.

The headset that cam with my Storm2 works flawlessly.

Good Luck
    Here's a "good one". My wife and I were on vacation last week, and while driving for over 3 hours, I didn't get to enjoy Pandora on my S2 because my wife didn't plug in the patch cord to the rental car's jack correctly and I failed to notice her mistake. We had to suffer through crappy local stations, followed by NO stations (out in the boonies, south of San Antonio) for hours. I tried plugging in my touch and it worked, but it didn't work with my wife's S2 either, so I figured it was an incompatibility of some weird sort.

Once I got to our destination, I plugged my S2 (using the same patch cord) into another vehicle and lo and behold, it worked fine. Went back to the rental car, and this time I did the "honors" and plugged my S2 into the car radio. Worked like a champ. women! LOL! Guess I should have checked the connections myself when all we got was a loud hum when she plugged it in earlier ( I was driving--hence she takes car of dealing with VZNav, etc).
    05-08-10 05:27 PM
    If a Q-tip is too big or if it starts to unravel, try dipping your phono plug in rubbing alcohol, quickly inserting it in the jack and rotating it a few times. If it's a dirty contact alcohol or carbon tet should help. If it's a bent or broken contact you'll need a new jack. I don't know if the Verizon techie can do that or if they just replace the whole unit. Jacks are the weakest point in any audio setup; once they're bent, they're hard to fix.

Bob
    05-08-10 05:30 PM
    thanks guys still working on it....
    05-09-10 10:18 AM
    ear wax remover?
    05-09-10 11:28 AM
    I had a similar problem - I use my Blackberry Storm2 at the gym, when I run and ride my bike. I'm pretty active with it. All of the sudden my headphones didnt work. While on hold with VZW, I used a small screw driver to bend the metal contact back in place. Tested it, hung up the phone with VZW and it was working again. Listened to music on my headphones for about 30 minutes with no issues. The contact I bent is toward at the edge of the port on the front side of the phone near the screen.

Wheew! I just had a replacement S2 sent to me about a month ago... I did not want to have to backup and restore again - it's getting to be a PITA. Hope this helps-

PS- Just got an underwater camera- Freakin sweet. When will there be an underwater phone? (Or water resistant at least?)
    06-20-10 10:15 PM
    This is my experience (with a happy ending): I bought a new car and using my Storm to blast my music up and down the highway was a big reason. Long story short, I bought 3 aux jack cables from Radio Shack, one gold plated one from Amazon that did not help the dreaded only playing on one speaker unless you fiddle with the cable. One call to VZW threatened to charge me full retail if they sent me a replacement and they found nothing wrong with the original. Two visits to the local store (one rep even came out to my truck to hear that it wasn't working correctly and still didn't want to replace it - he claimed I was using a "3rd party cable" and they couldn't do anything). One more call to VZW explaining my story finally got me a replacement. Replacement came in a few days ago and it works like a champ! Persistence pays off...
    07-02-10 10:45 PM
    I have the same problem too.

I use Bluetooth headphones for the gym but in bed I use plug in ones and I have to fiddle about with it.

Might have to send back my device to Vodafone for the 3rd time to get fixed.

Damn thing.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    07-03-10 09:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD