Hi all. I'm going to the US (Cambridge, Mass) for three weeks in early July this year. I was wondering if it's possible to get a local SIM card with a data plan for Blackberry. If yes, which are the value for money options?
    05-07-10 12:07 AM
    Hi all. I'm going to the US (Cambridge, Mass) for three weeks in early July this year. I was wondering if it's possible to get a local SIM card with a data plan for Blackberry. If yes, which are the value for money options?
    Not with VZW I'm afraid. We're CDMA.

That said, there's a handfull of GSM carriers over here, such as T-mobile or AT&T, and pretty much every carrier has a prepaid branch.
    05-07-10 12:38 AM
    I have a Verizon unlocked Storm 9550. Is there a CDMA package I can buy for a month on a prepaid basis?
    05-07-10 12:47 AM
    No. There is not.

You need to look at TMobile for Pre-Paid BlackBerry plans in the US.

Look at the Even More Plus plans. I believe they start at $60US per month.
    05-07-10 06:00 AM
    remember, any prepaid SIM anywhere will always be with GSM and not CDMA. The only thing you can do with CDMA is roam on other networks with your own carrier
    05-07-10 06:57 AM
    Thanks Motorcycle Mama. These are useful plans. I'm now looking for a plan that offers a dataplan but can't find one.
    05-07-10 06:58 AM
    I have a Verizon unlocked Storm 9550. Is there a CDMA package I can buy for a month on a prepaid basis?
    With a Verizon-branded 9550, you can definitely activate the phone on Verizon's network.

The problem is Verizon doesn't have pre-paid plans for smartphones.

You could technically activate the phone on a contract-free post-paid month-to-month plan since you already have the phone, and then you could cancel service before or shortly after leaving. But that may be more of a hassle than you're looking for.
    05-07-10 07:00 AM
    Call Verizon and see if the ESN is in their system and clean first.
    05-07-10 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD