I am a multi-blackberry user, currently using the Storm 2. Like many of you, I am always looking for my next phone. In the last few weeks, I have spent hours looking at the Android phones, WebOS phones, and reading about the coming iPhone 4G. I should add that I have been a frequent critic of RIM and its software.

To my utter amazement, after reviewing what else is out there, I find that the Blackberry, feature-wise and function-wise, is right in there with the newest phones. It is only the overall look and feel of the OS that makes it seem clunky. I am hopeful that Blackberry 6 will give the OS a more modern look and feel. And I suppose, an improvement to RIM's typical "Volvo" styling would be nice as well.
    Last edited by dmevis; 05-07-10 at 02:09 PM.
    05-06-10 10:18 PM
    I like my Curve's practical os.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-10 11:49 PM
    I think most of us would be happy with just an awesome browser, more apps.

05-07-10 12:08 AM
    Agree. BB is capable. My concerns are but not limited to 1 lack of simplicity, 2 unreliable hardware (Storm 1 and 2)

05-07-10 02:05 AM
    I think most of us would be happy with just an awesome browser, more apps.

The browser is my only complaint, apps are fun but but have become a codeword for the "coolness" of a phone.
    05-07-10 05:32 AM
    No phone browser is all that usable. Screens are just too small no matter how fast or fancy the browser is. What is usable is good email and messenging.

BB stomps the rest, there is no competition.
    05-07-10 07:57 AM
    @F0nage I disagree. Even dumbphones can do MMS directly, but RIM uses an antiquated system called the 'Service Books'. Something my device should be able to do natively, why must I have the settings pushed to me? On all other platforms typing in the APN was fine, but here I need to have the carrier send me bits of information, oh and they actually have the power to leave that away. RIM aren't the best, but very good at implementing different communication methods on the BlackBerry devices, however SMS still needs rework (the new threaded SMS system simply isn't complete).
    05-07-10 08:03 AM
    @F0nage I disagree. Even dumbphones can do MMS directly, but RIM uses an antiquated system called the 'Service Books'. Something my device should be able to do natively, why must I have the settings pushed to me? On all other platforms typing in the APN was fine, but here I need to have the carrier send me bits of information, oh and they actually have the power to leave that away. RIM aren't the best, but very good at implementing different communication methods on the BlackBerry devices, however SMS still needs rework (the new threaded SMS system simply isn't complete).
    I have to disagree with you there. I think the BlackBerry SMS is tops. It is so easy to use and very intuitive. @OP, I don't think that BlackBerry devices are slipping really. I think that a lot of BlackBerry users have been using BBs for a long time and are getting the itch to switch. If you look at other devices, they really don't have a much different setup than the current BBs. But if you are with a type of a device long enough, the grass starts looking a lot greener on Android, WebOS, or the iPhone. I will surely be happy with whatever RIM puts out this year and the next. Because at the core, they seem to be a step above the rest in my opinion. I made the mistake (repeatedly) of switching to another device because I thought it had more to offer. I always found disappointment because the other device offered less than what I had with BlackBerry.

05-08-10 01:13 AM
    No phone browser is all that usable. Screens are just too small no matter how fast or fancy the browser is. What is usable is good email and messenging.

BB stomps the rest, there is no competition.
    Right on. E-mail is a primary use of my phone. Messaging and browsing are far behind. BB is the best platform overall for my purposes these days. No looking back for me even though I often test other devices in the store.
    05-08-10 05:50 AM
    if I were on BES I might somewhat agree with the OP, however since Im not my opinion is as so; *EDIT - no i wouldn't agree with the op because BB have always lacked many standard features available on other phones; a decent browser, video calling, mobile tv, decent app store, skype etc.

relying more on my iphone and e72 lately. I was always an iphone basher but now admit that it definitely is far more superior than any BB. I still prefer an actual keyboard to a touchscreen but cant have it all i guess. Blackberry claims to be a superior email device but that is not the case, I can access all my FOLDERS and OLDER EMAILS from the iphone & Nokia even with an imap account where as to use the same features on a bb I would need a BES account and exchange email. I consider this a huge difference in service and no one in their right mind could argue this. On top of all that add the iphones apps and there is no question which is superior.
    Blackberries low build quality of their handsets have always bothered me from my first the 8800, 8300, 9000, 9500, 8900 and now the 9700. Not to mention that they dont release anything new and just recycle their boring OS and horrible browser onto newer cheap phones. I mean really, I dare anyone to hold any bb in one hand and a Nokia E72 in the other and claim that a BB's build and material quality is anywhere close to it. Also no one, apple or blackberry can even come close to nokia when it comes to signal and voice quality for phone calls.
    At the end we come back to the age old fact of you cant have it all I guess.
    However the day that my carrier no longer provides a worldwide data plan for blackberries, is the same day I am happy to say goodbye to BB. The same goes for most people I know. Each to his own.
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 05-08-10 at 12:37 PM.
    05-08-10 12:34 PM
    I don't know about you, but my 9550 feels damn solid. I also simply don't care about video calling, mobile TV, thousands of apps or Skype. The browser is also very decent and speedy with the latest OS releases. But hey, we can agree to disagree.
    05-08-10 02:25 PM
    I just want to say I have tried many different phones but I just like my BlackBerry. It does what I want and it fits my work and personal needs. it is true to each his own. I will leave blackberry one day but it won't be because of a browser, a bunch of apps, or just because there is a new must have phone out there for the masses. I will leave blackberry simply because I want to. I will note that I have always thought nokia made good quality phones for the most part.

05-10-10 02:00 AM
    I don't know about you, but my 9550 feels damn solid. I also simply don't care about video calling, mobile TV, thousands of apps or Skype.
    +1000. 10char.
    05-10-10 02:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD