If Iphone users want to be add to exchange to get email, how does this affect BES ?

Would Iphone users get some sort of BES permissions ?
    05-06-10 06:05 PM
    It shouldn't affect BES at all. We have 1 IPhone user and BESx with 5 users. The BESx users are locked down with policies, etc. The IPhone user simply connects to the Exchange server directly as a mobile device. The only permissions/ policies that we can do is to disable mail access for the user (lock/ unlock account) and remotely wipe email, calendar, etc from the IPhone. Can't confirm that last statement because we tested it and the IPhone did restart remotely, but never booted up again. We had to re-install the OS.
    05-06-10 08:57 PM
    @croldan72 So following your logic, it is safe to say that the Exchange Admin would know that a mobile device other than a BB is retrieving email from the server. This is because the connection is direct, whereas the BB devices use the BES to connect to the Exchange server. Correct?

I ask because I have a corporate BB 9700 (att) and I want to take the unlocked SIM and put it in my iPhone 4. The wrinkle is IT has just stated that they want only corp devices to access the mail etc. because they want the ability to remote wipe for security purposes. I do realize that the iPhone has that capability and Apple does state this on their site.
    09-09-10 06:44 AM
    @croldan72 So following your logic, it is safe to say that the Exchange Admin would know that a mobile device other than a BB is retrieving email from the server. This is because the connection is direct, whereas the BB devices use the BES to connect to the Exchange server. Correct?

I ask because I have a corporate BB 9700 (att) and I want to take the unlocked SIM and put it in my iPhone 4. The wrinkle is IT has just stated that they want only corp devices to access the mail etc. because they want the ability to remote wipe for security purposes. I do realize that the iPhone has that capability and Apple does state this on their site.

Yes, but the Exchange admin would need to want to set this up (permissions, ports, etc on Exchange 2007 or higher), or provide the user with the Exchange server info so they can set it up on their phone. The Exchange admin has the ability to see whether a mobile device is connected to exchange and associated with a user. They would select the user in the Exchange management console and they get the option to "Manage Mobile Device". In the next screen they can see device info, last sync time, etc. They also have 2 options available: "Remove mobile device partnership or Perform a remote wipe to clear mobile device data".
    09-09-10 02:37 PM
    your SIM might not even work in the iphone, AT&T uses a different SIM now for iphone 4
    09-14-10 12:34 PM

It does support it, but I think I can see where they're coming from. They can't wipe just corporate data, it's everything. They probably don't want to deal with wiping a device they don't own.
    09-16-10 07:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD