If someone could answer these questions for me, I'd really appreciate it.

I'll be leaving for Australia around mid-June and I would like to have my BB Tour work there, however, I want to get an approximation as to how much I would have to pay. What are my options as far as this happening? That is to say, would it be better for me to unlock it before I go and activate it to a local network plan there or how much would verizon charge for coverage for a full month stay in Australia? I went to their website and it said something along the lines of 129$ but I'm not sure if there is unlimited data plan (it looked like it said up to 100mb was included and that's it). I'll also be traveling to different locations in the country so I'm not sure if getting a local plan would work seeing as how I would have no way of ending it since I'll be on the go so much.

Any help is really appreciated!
    05-05-10 07:02 AM
    I don't know if the Verizon Global plan covers Australia but it probably does.

You can opt in for $65/month for UNlimited data. For an additional $5/month, in Europe, at least, phone calls to/from anywhere and in/out were $0.99/minute (reduced from $2/minute, I think). It is prorated and while in effect replaces your normal $29/bis/monthly plan. So it is an extra $30/month again prorated.

If you opt for a local sim, you may not have data - you'd have to check. You'd get a new phone number for that sim. Local calls would probably be cheaper.

Call Verizon's Global and check rates for Australia.
    05-05-10 08:53 AM
    I'll have to go into a store and inquire about it. Thanks!
    05-06-10 11:34 AM
    In Jamaica we have unlimited blackberry service avail on prepaid sim card ... its about 25.00 US for the month and you can just buy credit for the sim to make calls both local and international....find out who is the GSM carrier there and visit their website...Verizons rates are horrendous
    05-06-10 06:24 PM
    Have Verizon unlock your phone and you may be able to buy a prepaid SIM in AUS that will work.
    05-07-10 08:22 AM
    Hubby went to GE last month. We added the Global package the day he left, cut it off the day he got back.

We used BBM to talk 99.9% of the time, but for the most part, the bill wasn't as bad as I thought it would be - and his company picks up a good portion of that too.
    05-07-10 08:29 AM
    Have Verizon unlock your phone and you may be able to buy a prepaid SIM in AUS that will work.

Speaking of unlocking the Tour, I unlocked mine through a company that was talked about on one of CB forms, cost $5 and it took less than 5 minutes.
    05-07-10 08:43 AM
    If someone could answer these questions for me, I'd really appreciate it.

I'll be leaving for Australia around mid-June and I would like to have my BB Tour work there, however, I want to get an approximation as to how much I would have to pay. What are my options as far as this happening? That is to say, would it be better for me to unlock it before I go and activate it to a local network plan there or how much would verizon charge for coverage for a full month stay in Australia? I went to their website and it said something along the lines of 129$ but I'm not sure if there is unlimited data plan (it looked like it said up to 100mb was included and that's it). I'll also be traveling to different locations in the country so I'm not sure if getting a local plan would work seeing as how I would have no way of ending it since I'll be on the go so much.

Any help is really appreciated!
    Call your carrier for roaming rates or you could unlock it and use it with a local carrier there.
    05-09-10 06:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD