Lately I've been trying to figure out a way to read ebooks on my blackberry. I am cheap enough that I really don't want to pay much if anything for that privilege (such as purchasing the books).

But I'm a bit perplexed. I know I can download "public domain" books from a site like gutenberg.org. I've tried Mobipocket and Wattpad but have not figured out how to import the files into those apps. Does anyone know how to do this?

Also, does anyone know of sites that allow you to download more recent ebooks for a low price or free? The books at the Gutenberg site are classics but most of them are definitely not contemporary!
    05-02-10 09:31 PM
    Well, as far as the readers go, they're free. I've tried the kindle app (didn't like it), barnes and noble app (it's ok), and the one I like the best is the ereader pro. You can change the size of the font, create bookmarks easily and it doesn't lose it's place (like the Kindle app).

As far as books go, I really have a problem with the sites that charge $20 for an ebook. I mean you're not getting anything physical, the only cost to the seller is the transfer of an text file.

Oh and to copy the book to your reader? You'll need a micro sd card, when you install whatever readers you're using, the app will create a folder on your card. You just connect to the pc and use the mass storage mode, copy the book to the directory.

I've found there to be big price differences between sites. There's barnes and noble, ebook.com. I've found them to be the best for the types of books I like.

So back to your question, connect the bb to the pc, use the mass storage mode and copy the book to the directory. It's on the card under blackberry and there will be a folder. The name will usually be shown in the options or settings of the reader.
    05-02-10 09:47 PM
    Hm, thanks. Ereader looks like it has *some* pricy books but also a good selection of "cheapies". I agree with you- I just can't bring myself to pay $20 for a digital book. I can stomach a few dollars, but I can't afford to read $20 books! :-)

I noticed that some apps (namely Kindle) have a "free book of the week" or some similar promotion, which is better than nothing but still nothing spectacular.
    05-02-10 10:08 PM
    Well this post might get me in a bit of trouble but I'm pretty sure you can get free ebooks the same way you get movies or music. Don't use limewire or something but do searches for torrents, I've gotten a few books that way. I can't give you links and stuff obviously but hey, that's what googles for right? best of luck.

P.s.
    If you have never even heard of torrents pm me and I can help you out in private.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-10 02:29 AM
    I use the B&N Reader. It works on my Pearl (Kindle doesn't) and B&N has a good handful of free downloads.
    05-03-10 08:38 AM
    My local library supports Mobipocket, so I can use my library card to "borrow" e-books from the library to read on my device or computer. The e-book from the library has a 14-day reading period, after which the file becomes unreadable. You may want to check with your local library to see whether they support e-books and what app they use. Then you can download books from your library to read. If a new book is availalbe in e-book fashion, the library may it have it available. At my library, it's free to download e-books for the 14-day reading period. If you need more than 14 days, you need to check out the e-book again and you get another 14-day period. These ebook rentals are subject to the same availabilty status as normal physical books. I definately recommend you check out your local library if you'd like to read e-books with having to buy them.
    05-03-10 10:51 AM
    A free program called calibri will convert between ebook formats.
    I like mobipocket best. I've tried barnes and nobles and kindle, but I like mobipocket best.

05-03-10 11:06 AM
    for mobipocket, you need to download the mobi file format version and save it in the folder mobipocket is using for the files. The folder is user defined so you can change it to a folder on your sd card.
    05-03-10 11:35 AM
    i use mobipocket as well, i have bought a few books via them but there is a program that can convert pdfs so that mobipocket can read them and i have a collection of pdfs that I have converted to use on my bb with mobipocket. i went with this one because i can change the font/background colors so its easier on my eyes.
    05-03-10 11:55 AM
    I think the original question is how to convert .pdfs into ebooks with mobipocket.

Simply drag the .pdf files into mobipocket and it will be converted. Then use the sync function of mobipocket to move the ebooks to your bb.
    05-03-10 03:09 PM
    For free ebooks go to baen free library and they can be read in several different formats including mobipocket.
    05-06-10 10:32 PM
    @trjnberry: Thanks. Mobipocket works great on my Pearl, and my local library has lots of books in that format.
    05-07-10 07:32 PM
    A free program called calibri will convert between ebook formats.
    I like mobipocket best. I've tried barnes and nobles and kindle, but I like mobipocket best.

I second Calibre. I can convert books to mobi format and use on my mobi pocket reader for 9550.
    Link:calibre - E-book management

I used to use mobi creator but one day it just stopped working.
    01-23-11 08:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD