Hey guys, I know this question might have been asked before.... but here we go.....
    Anyone knows any app that will make your BB a Wifi Hotspot?
    I know Iphone has an App for Jailbroken phone (Mifi I think is called) and the Windows Mobile Phone have them as well.

I tether my phone already, but if I can get the Wifi I can use other things like my Ipad or ipod.... its strange someone hasnt come up with this app yet!
    05-02-10 10:19 AM
    Nope, and because of the security design of the BB, its unlikely to happen.
    05-02-10 10:28 AM
    yea I'm wondering if there is such a way or an app out there that can do that coz I've got a lot of data I don't mind sharing to my mates.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-10 11:47 AM
    yea I'm wondering if there is such a way or an app out there that can do that coz I've got a lot of data I don't mind sharing to my mates.

Considering the breadth and scope of this forum, not to mention how many times this question has been asked. If there was an app out for that, we would know about it.
    05-02-10 11:50 AM
    Too bad RIM wouldn't allow such an amazing app. Seems EVERY other wifi enabled smartphone can do it, but it's not the first time RIM has been left behind the market.
    05-02-10 12:56 PM
    Too bad RIM wouldn't allow such an amazing app. Seems EVERY other wifi enabled smartphone can do it, but it's not the first time RIM has been left behind the market.
    For the last freaking time, RIM has no control over apps being "allowed". They are not apple.

05-02-10 01:01 PM
    For the last freaking time, RIM has no control over apps being "allowed". They are not apple.

Actually they do have control. They design the API apps use to control the phone, they can allow or disallow apps to access certain parts of the OS and phone. While it would be a battery killer, I wouldn't mind having the ability to turn my 9700 into a hotspot, BUT, until then I have connectify+windows 7, I can share my net from my laptop to other devices that cant pickup a signal.
    05-02-10 01:07 PM
    I am getting tired of hearing this argument. RIM started as and still is a corporate focused enterprise. RIM has designed their phones from the groundup with security in mind. Why do you think it took so long for them to add a camera to the BB? And why its only been the past couple of years where everyphone had it.

The market is full of competition for a reason. If RIM doesn't make a product that fits your needs, go to nokia or apple or lg or samsung, etc.
    People need to realize that spending 400$+ on a phone subsidized or not is not small potatoes. Sit down and list what you need and desire in a smartphone and then weigh the options out there. With your attitude, it seems like an iphone or a hd2 would fit your needs better than a BB.
    05-02-10 01:11 PM
    I do find it interesting that BB doesn't have an app for this.

If I recall, when the mifi device came out on Sprint, the commercials I saw seemed to market more toward business customers.

I think turning a BB into a wifi hotspot would really be useful for business travel. You could use in airports, hotels, everywhere. If security is an issue, why not have the option of broadcasting the wifi signal with security, so that only your colleagues can use it?

05-02-10 01:36 PM
    I do find it interesting that BB doesn't have an app for this.

If I recall, when the mifi device came out on Sprint, the commercials I saw seemed to market more toward business customers.

I think turning a BB into a wifi hotspot would really be useful for business travel. You could use in airports, hotels, everywhere. If security is an issue, why not have the option of broadcasting the wifi signal with security, so that only your colleagues can use it?

I would bet that it hasn't been coded for BB because rim doesn't allow that deep of a hook into the OS. Lest we also forget how fast the battery drains on the 9700 when using wifi alone, how long do you think it would last while sending/receiving over 3g and serving up 2 or 3 pdas or laptops via wifi. I say you would burn through your battery in about an hour, and more than likely if it was plugged in, it would just keep it going, it wouldnt charge the battery.
    05-02-10 01:40 PM
    Actually they do have control. They design the API apps use to control the phone, they can allow or disallow apps to access certain parts of the OS and phone. While it would be a battery killer, I wouldn't mind having the ability to turn my 9700 into a hotspot, BUT, until then I have connectify+windows 7, I can share my net from my laptop to other devices that cant pickup a signal.
    what he implies is that RIM is essentially filtering apps in general, which is not true because once an app is made, RIM has no control over whether you can put it on your phone or not. they control the API, of course, but they don't police apps like apple does.
    05-02-10 05:38 PM
    There just isn't an API available or a way to make it work on the BlackBerry. It's on the OS level. I wonder if 6.0 will change this.
    05-02-10 05:49 PM
    what he implies is that RIM is essentially filtering apps in general, which is not true because once an app is made, RIM has no control over whether you can put it on your phone or not. they control the API, of course, but they don't police apps like apple does.
    True, and this is what tells me that if we were going to see a wifi hotspot app, we would have by now.
    I know this feature seems so cool and uber sweet on the outset, but when you start using it, bye bye battery.
    05-02-10 05:53 PM
    There just isn't an API available or a way to make it work on the BlackBerry. It's on the OS level. I wonder if 6.0 will change this.
    And this is why I stick with BB, SECURITY. If they allow hooks deep enough into OS6 to do this, who knows what else this will open up.
    05-02-10 05:55 PM
    I was thinking exactly this. The APIs for OS6 really need to open up quite a bit and to make it much easier to write apps for the BalckBerry.
    05-02-10 05:57 PM
    Seems to me the device is a receiver, and not a transmitter. But hey, I could be wrong.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    I'm many people's brother, have several BB daughters and sons,
    but I sure as heck ain't your momma!
    I'm a Survivor Baby!But the dang game fizzled out

05-02-10 06:00 PM
    Seems to me the device is a receiver, and not a transmitter. But hey, I could be wrong.

I'm Pretty sure that it can go either way. That's how most work. The iPhone has been worked to turn into a hotspot, I know Nokia N series phones can, the Palm and android all can too. It's just a matter of having access to the hardware.
    05-02-10 06:17 PM
    Hold up if I connect my 9700 to wifi then I connect 2 the Tether app using bluetooth. How do I know which one its using data or wifi ? # justasking
    05-03-10 03:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD