View Poll Results: Would you switch to Another Device if 6.0 takes too long or not good enough?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nah

28 25.23%
  • Yes

4 3.60%
  • BB for Life!

25 22.52%
  • Bah I just don't care ...

4 3.60%
  • iPhone 3GS/4 HD Here I come!

12 10.81%
  • Wait and See, then decide ...

32 28.83%
  • Android Phone!

6 5.41%
    Would you switch from your 9700 to a different Device if 6.0 takes too long or does not meet your expectations?
    Last edited by vx1; 05-02-10 at 06:54 AM.
    05-02-10 06:26 AM
    I'm pretty happy with BlackBerrys and the way they are going. BlackBerrys do a lot of things right. I love the OS and if OS 6 is a logical improvement of OS 5 then I will be a happy camper.

The one thing that I want in OS 6 is, of course that WebKit browser. If that is as good a it is rumored to be I'll stay with BlackBerry.

One the other hand I am really interested in where Windows Mobile 7 is going and what hTC will produce when that has hit the market and settled down. Frankly that could just tempt me.

Lastly, it cannot be too far away that we see true Windows 7 running native on phones/pads. That too could be a killer for me.
    05-02-10 06:47 AM
    Nope...only time I am switching is if something drastically happens to my 9700 or my contract is up and can upgrade my phone.

I am actually fine with 5.0 as ancient as so many people claim it to be, it is very stable and runs good enough for me. Yeah I wish we had a better browser, but Opera5 and Bolt have sufficed for me....

This is my 3rd Berry in 6 years...and been plenty happy with all my phones, granted my Storm1 wasn't all that.

Something pretty amazing would have to come along to sway me and these Andriods( I have owned 1 and messed around with most) have not blown me away...some are nice, like the N1, but nothing to make me want to switch...

6.0 to a lot of people already is not enough, when they haven't even messed with it yet, just basing stuff on reviews and the pics that are out...

Hard to make everyone happy...I am happy with 5.0, so I am sure 6.0 will make me even happier...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-10 06:52 AM
    I'm happy with BlackBerrys in general. But the current OS has so many limitations confirmed to other devices, I'm mainly looking at Android phones.

Hopefully OS6 will be as massive amount of new features and options to BB, but it will remain to be seen.

A webkit browser alone is not going to keep my on BB, it has to be more then that.
    05-02-10 06:53 AM
    No, I'm not sure I would upgrade to OS6 right away either, pretty happy with 5, I don't need my OS to be pretty, just efficient. Also you can't expect all your apps to work with 6 from the beginning.

05-02-10 07:41 AM
    Eh, NO!

1. It's just not that serious

2. It cost MONEY to switch phones. Money that I don't have.
    05-02-10 07:49 AM
    Nope. Even if 6.0 never gets released, Im sticking to what I deem to be the best device RIM has EVER produced-BERRY FOR LIFE!!!!!!
    05-02-10 08:18 AM
    Other then the new faster browser I can't see why I would want the OS6. It should be good for storm owners tho, they'll be the ones that will benefit the most from it.

05-02-10 08:34 AM
    The writing is on the wall for OS 6. The 9650 was released with 512Mb RAM. This would only have happened if this much RAM was needed. RIM is not known for over-specifying its phones.

Faster processors, better graphics (screens and controllers), more memory all mean that the OS can have more bells and whistles, more user options and more to go wrong. A bigger OS also means longer development time and more time between updates. It will certainly mean longer boot times.

We will get a better browser, a slicker UI, probably more customization and a few extra features. I welcome this and I hope it will run on my 8900 because is sure as **ll ain't going on my 9700 yet awhile. I want a phone that works. I also remember the early days of OS 4.5. Oh dear.
    05-02-10 09:06 AM
    It doesn't look like it's going to run on the 8900 according to the info I have read. I'm not sure why since the only thing the 9700 has over the 8900 is 100MHz of clock speed give or take.
    05-02-10 09:16 AM
    As far i'm very happy with my 9700, i think it's the most beatifull and sleek berry out there, I like it better then the new bold 9650 in terms of design. So I will stick to my 9700 for another 1,5 year or so (I'm bonded to a contract)
    05-02-10 10:00 AM
    Lastly, it cannot be too far away that we see true Windows 7 running native on phones/pads. That too could be a killer for me.
    I agree with that comment, but probably not what you meant

The day that the only phone available runs anything from Microslop is the day I go back to soup cans and a string.
    05-02-10 10:14 AM
    I think the one thing that matters to me in OS 6 is the web browser, webkit.

I'm sorry, I love Blackberries, but I find the web browsing to be abysmal. Much improvement is needed.

I am hoping that webkit will solve this problem, or at least make the situation better.

05-02-10 01:46 PM
    i'd consider iphone, maybe nexus one.

but most likely no, i'd stay bb. does everything i need. yes i would appreciate the improved web browsing and apps, but that's about it.
    05-03-10 02:41 AM
    I think the one thing that matters to me in OS 6 is the web browser, webkit.

I'm sorry, I love Blackberries, but I find the web browsing to be abysmal. Much improvement is needed.

I am hoping that webkit will solve this problem, or at least make the situation better.

Same for me. The current state of the browser is unacceptable.

05-03-10 03:32 AM
    The 9700 is as impressive as it is. Even if the 9700 can handle OS6, I feel that we are going into the touch screen way of devices. All these news phones ( htc incredible, htc evo, iphone, droid, etc ) are all touch screens. Heck, even RIMs new WES commercial is based off of the Storm2 / the touchscreen with qwerty keyboard ( the # escapes me at the moment ).

Granted, RIM does make touch screen phones but it seems the body design is out of date. And the UI is still the same. ( RIM's style/trend? ). There's nothing about it that stands out. Perhaps I'm used to it considering I started off with the pearl to 9000 to 9700.

To answer OP's question : OS6 is not impressive, unless I see it in action with the 9700, then I'll stick with the 9700. If not, chances are I'll change ship. However, my contract doesn't end til next december of 2011 so RIM has another year to impress me.

I'm with AT@T and I'm not considering of changing providers as AT@T works best in my area.

05-03-10 04:00 AM
    Touch screens will never be a part of the commercial market. They're more slanted towards entertainment than business use.
    05-03-10 06:20 AM
    i'm pretty happy with all my berries 8900,9000,9700 but i would consider android maybe as my next phone but it's hard to give up bbm lol
    05-03-10 10:26 AM
    I bought the 9700 not even knowing about 6.0 so why would I switch
    05-03-10 10:27 AM
    I'll say as long as os 6.0 is stable I'll stick with BB. I'm really loving it right now. The only os that can sweep me away is Android.
    05-03-10 08:14 PM
    I have watched all the videos and listened to a bunch of people - I think the new OS will be cool, just wish there was more detailed info about it ..
    05-04-10 07:47 PM
    If the os 6 has better browsing and some kind of flash, I'd be pretty excited. However I bought my 9700 with os5 and I like it. I wouldn't change to another phone atleast for another year. I'm 90% sure it will be a new BB.

As far As touch screen devices, I will never own one. Unless it has a physical qweerty keyboard of some kind.

05-04-10 08:55 PM
    UMA is now essential - as is BBM. The 9700 is the best device out there in my opinion, i have used android and iphone and missed the full wireless sync and BES. Browser is awful, iphone wins there, and for media the BB has really become nice - although the iphone's a lot 'prettier'... android had a pile of cool things, but the browser lacks... good multitasking though
    05-05-10 02:03 AM
    Idk what OS 6.0 is about, nor do I know what a webkit browser is, but I don't care as long as I have BBM & Twitter. I need to keep in contact with the ladies.
    05-05-10 09:44 AM
    Well since i already saw them Demo and got a look at what 6.0 had to bring (noticing it was copying off of android and iPhone) i have already made the switch why stick with an imitation when you can take full advantage of what their trying to copy. I think RIM should really stick to business and leave the consumer market alone. Its a fight they can't win.
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 05-05-10 at 09:51 AM.
    05-05-10 09:49 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD