My first and current smart phone is a Palm Centro. It was a fine first step into the smart phone world, but now my year contract with Verizon is about up, and I am eager to take the next step. I was set on getting the new Bold, but my big 64 year old fingers just didn't manage the qwerty very well, and I kind of liked some of the touch pads with bigger targets I checked into some of the sexier phones--the Moto, and Incredible and learned (to no one's surprise here, I'm sure) that these "tools" neither synced well with Outlook (which is a priority to me), or had blue tooth voice dialing. Both of those are deal breakers to me. So, I come to the Storm 2, which seemed kind of clunky on first impression, and a challenge to figure out. (I know I can do it). It has those features I need, and I think I would be mostly satisfied with the feature set, and hopeful about the upcoming OS. I came here because you guys know and sometimes love this phone. My question, and the point of this post:Are the periodic hardware and software challenges so vexsome that I might end up hating it? I know there is no sure way to predict, but any thoughts will be appreciated.
    05-01-10 10:14 AM
    I went to a Storm2 from a Blackberry Curve 8330 and after a few weeks to "adapt" to a virtual qwerty keyboard, I love it. The bigger screen really makes a difference. It does take a few weeks to adjust to a virtual keyboard but I really enjoy the big screen. It makes viewing e-mails alot better along with the internet surfing. Give it a chance and you will enjoy it. P.S. I have had zero problems with my Storm 2....Don't let the past problems of the first Storm influence your decision.
    05-01-10 10:22 AM
    Jerry, my wife isn't fond of the S2 because she has bigger fingers and she says it causes her a hard time with the onscreen keyboard. I'm fine with it, the physical/muscle memory curve proved to be short and sharp. I'd warn you that that may be your biggest obstacle. I haven't run into any hardware/software issues that made me want to switch devices. I average a battery pull a week. I'd suggest you visit a store with a live S2 and send a few texts, browse the web, and see if you like the feel.
    05-01-10 10:56 AM
    I've had mine for two days now and so far I love it. I'm not as fast on the keyboard as I was with my old curve (yet) but am getting faster (and more accurate) every time I use it. If you can type on a Centro, a Storm2 should be no problem. My wife has a Centro and I need a pencil to dial a number with it due to my big ol' clumsy thumbs-- no such problems with the storm.

Overall, two days in I like it. A lot.
    05-01-10 10:57 AM
    ...for taking the time to respond. I think I will give it a whirl, and pick on up in the next day or two. It gives me some security to know that there are active constructive forums here, and folks who are willing to help. From the forums I have read (til bleary eyed), most have moved to the S2 from other Blackberrys, and are already somewhat comfortable with the OS, and environment. I will look forward to seeing what the learning curve is like.
    05-01-10 01:33 PM
    If it's part of your upgrade you'll have 30 days to play with it before returning it.
    05-01-10 01:40 PM
    I have never returned a phone, so that gives me some added security. Just say it didn't work for me?...and move on to the next try?
    05-01-10 01:46 PM
    Jerry, my wife isn't fond of the S2 because she has bigger fingers and she says it causes her a hard time with the onscreen keyboard. I'm fine with it, the physical/muscle memory curve proved to be short and sharp. I'd warn you that that may be your biggest obstacle. I haven't run into any hardware/software issues that made me want to switch devices. I average a battery pull a week. I'd suggest you visit a store with a live S2 and send a few texts, browse the web, and see if you like the feel.
    don't know if you're aware of this already, but if your wife is having trouble with onscreen keyboard, there's a setting in options > screen/keyboard > show key indicator > set to "always"

with this setting, a pop up appears with the letter on the screen above the key so you can see what key you're touching before you click.
    05-01-10 01:54 PM
    I have never returned a phone, so that gives me some added security. Just say it didn't work for me?...and move on to the next try?
    I've done it on VZ with no problem when I returned my Droid for the S2. Just keep your receipts, box, etc...and just ask the Sales rep at the store. Hopefully they will give you the correct info.
    05-01-10 02:35 PM
    I'm on my fourth day and I can type just as fast as i did on my Tour. the first day was very frustrating. But i soon began to notice a huge improvement in speed and accuracy the second day. i love the phone. My original plan was to wait for the 9650, but after viewing the OS6 video, I felt like a touch screen device is the way to go.
    05-01-10 02:43 PM
    don't know if you're aware of this already, but if your wife is having trouble with onscreen keyboard, there's a setting in options > screen/keyboard > show key indicator > set to "always"

with this setting, a pop up appears with the letter on the screen above the key so you can see what key you're touching before you click.
    I managed to miss that. Thank you. She'll be thrilled!
    05-01-10 03:30 PM
    Playing Word Mole a few times helped me get used to the S2 keyboard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-10 07:07 PM
    Jerry...you'll love it! Just make sure you give a few days to a week of tinkering with it. Also check in here to answer your questions on setting it up properly and you'll be one happy camper...the phone is awesome...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-10 06:50 AM
    ...I'll take your advice, and check in for help if I need it. Appreciate the offer
    05-02-10 07:52 AM
    It might take a few days but you will get used to the Storm 2, you just need to play with it for a while.

BKVic
    05-03-10 03:43 PM
    ...I'll take your advice, and check in for help if I need it. Appreciate the offer
    You are making a very wise choice going with the S2. You won't regret it..
    05-03-10 03:47 PM
    Cool stuff!
    05-03-10 03:50 PM
    I have it ... got used to it ... won't let go of it
    05-04-10 05:35 AM
    I left my S2 and got caught up in the adroid frenzy. I went to droid and then Incredible. I returned last Sunday to my S2 and have asked for forgivness. I'm much happier with the integrity of my email and my abiliyt to type much easier and faster with the S2 screen as compared to Droid or Incredible. The only thing I miss after being on the android for the last several months is the speed of internet connection. That's it. I will never, ever, ever, leave blackberry again. Cross my heart.
    05-05-10 11:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD