simple,

I turned off Java, set default view to 'Column' and set the image quality to low.

even on image setting high, it loaded the websites i tried quicker than my 1st gen iPhone running their latest software.

so, i dont think the BB browser is rubbish at all, infact its now the one i use.

give those 3 things a go, and let me know

**and if this is common knowledge, sorry for repeating it.
    04-30-10 10:45 AM
    HOLY CRAP. I can't believe I never did this!
    I just turned off javascript tho.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-10 10:55 AM
    I think the BB browser is underrated. Sure, it may not be as fast, or as well rendering for full sites compared to the latest IPhone or Android browsers, but it's not that far behind with the latest releases (screamer browsers). Besides, I like how I can set a convenience key to show the keyboard and instantly scroll to the top or bottom of the page.

04-30-10 10:57 AM
    HOLY CRAP. I can't believe I never did this!
    I just turned off javascript tho.

let me know your conclusion,

open the browser, then click the menu>options

in 'browser configuration' untick Support Javascript

click back

then in 'General Properties' (while still in the browser options) change default view to 'Column' and image quality to 'Low'

i know its called Low, but images look just fine on a screen the size of the Storm2's, so why slow things down?

oh and make sure repeat animations is set to 'Never'

forgot to tell you all that one.

& then let me know your conclusions guys.
    04-30-10 11:10 AM
    Should read... "How I made my new browser faster than a 3year old browser."
    04-30-10 11:20 AM
    Should read... "How I made my new browser faster than a 3year old browser."
    right name - there is always one

and your wrong, you forget this phone is using the latest software, so it has the LATEST browser.
    Last edited by csj85; 04-30-10 at 11:26 AM.
    04-30-10 11:22 AM
    I don't know why I didn't think to do this either! Really helped speed up my internet so Thank You!
    04-30-10 11:32 AM
    I don't know why I didn't think to do this either! Really helped speed up my internet so Thank You!
    your welcome weinger,

now you can actually browse when mobile, instead of the past embarressment like i used to feel when trying to view a website on public transport, knowing i would have arrived by the time it had loaded. *lol*

for me its faster than the iPhone this way,

I had to post, after seeing sooo many threads and old YouTube videos slagging off the BB browser against the competition

4 settings in just 2 screens i think it is, and its MAGIC! lol

from broken to awesome. (although i await BB OS6 with its new browser like everyone else - very excited about that OS for multiple reasons)
    04-30-10 11:38 AM
    The only thing I have found is certain websites and pages will not let u view without java ...I have done this before and I find that's the only problem ....but I still have it unsupported and feel its great

04-30-10 11:39 AM
    The only thing I have found is certain websites and pages will not let u view without java ...I have done this before and I find that's the only problem ....but I still have it unsupported and feel its great

even with the slimmed down settings, the BB browser isn't a shade on opera mini 5. Installed yesterday after hating the old opera which didn't really support inline typing. This 'new' opera is magnificent.

04-30-10 11:52 AM
    simple,

I turned off Java, set default view to 'Column' and set the image quality to low.

even on image setting high, it loaded the websites i tried quicker than my 1st gen iPhone running their latest software.

so, i dont think the BB browser is rubbish at all, infact its now the one i use.

give those 3 things a go, and let me know

**and if this is common knowledge, sorry for repeating it.
    Well first of all congratulations. But this haw been known for quite a while now.... That's the beauty of a bb. Change the settings and see what happens

04-30-10 11:59 AM
    Just to point out. If you disable Java on the other device and lower resolution it will once again beat the crup out of the BB browser.

I can easily make a 4 year old video card display more FPS than a brand new card by loading the new card up with everything enabled on high using a 40" monitor, while the old card runs everything disabled on a 19".

Means nothing to me.
    04-30-10 12:26 PM
    dropping the java option is not a suitable solution for many people. Just as a "flash-less" internet isn't an "awesome internet experience", neither is a java-less internet.
    04-30-10 12:27 PM
    It's worth it to me because having a brand new phone with a browser that takes an incredibly long time to load webpages isn't the best internet experience for me either. If a webpage requires java then I will turn it back on but for now I haven't found one webpage that looks any different and now my webpages are loading in a matter of seconds (and thats with picture resolution set to high). So if this is a big deal for others as it is a big deal for me I highly recommend this adjustment.
    04-30-10 01:17 PM
    It's worth it to me because having a brand new phone with a browser that takes an incredibly long time to load webpages isn't the best internet experience for me either. If a webpage requires java then I will turn it back on but for now I haven't found one webpage that looks any different and now my webpages are loading in a matter of seconds (and thats with picture resolution set to high). So if this is a big deal for others as it is a big deal for me I highly recommend this adjustment.
    of course I agree with you that it's nice to have the browser load pages more quickly, on sites where java isn't a concern.
    04-30-10 01:54 PM
    just enable the Java script PROMPT. I have had Java script off since I've had my last 2 BB's.
    04-30-10 02:21 PM
    Thanks for the tip. It does make a difference.

04-30-10 11:06 PM
    Thanks for this........... Just set these options and will see what happens.

R...
    05-01-10 10:12 AM
    My javascript was already off but OM seems faster. Even if it really isn't I like the tabbed browsing experience better than the stock browser.

05-01-10 10:28 AM
    My javascript was already off but OM seems faster. Even if it really isn't I like the tabbed browsing experience better than the stock browser.

not for functionality it isnt,

Opera Mini is not much faster than the setup i have on my BB Browser, but i want my browser to open links from emails (which Opera Mini fails to do for some reason, even with the 'Open with Opera Mini tab')

and i like the fact that for us Storm2 users, the clickable screen is a feature, just touching the screen brings up a highlight, Copy/Paste is easily addressed (dont even know if this is possible with Opera Mini and if it is, its not easy) and typing addresses is much quicker as SureType etc can be used within the browser which Opera Mini cannot achieve as its supported on multi-platform.

sure, its still a little slower than Opera Mini, but for funcations 'I want' with my own phone, i'll stick with the BB Browser with these settings ive posted.
    Last edited by csj85; 05-01-10 at 11:03 AM.
    05-01-10 11:01 AM
    not for functionality it isnt,

Opera Mini is not much faster than the setup i have on my BB Browser, but i want my browser to open links from emails (which Opera Mini fails to do for some reason, even with the 'Open with Opera Mini tab')

and i like the fact that for us Storm2 users, the clickable screen is a feature, just touching the screen brings up a highlight, Copy/Paste is easily addressed (dont even know if this is possible with Opera Mini and if it is, its not easy) and typing addresses is much quicker as SureType etc can be used within the browser which Opera Mini cannot achieve as its supported on multi-platform.

sure, its still a little slower than Opera Mini, but for funcations 'I want' with my own phone, i'll stick with the BB Browser with these settings ive posted.
    Rock on. I use both. OM for regular browsing, stock for when I click links, downloading etc.

They both seem fast to me.

05-01-10 11:04 AM
    Just to point out. If you disable Java on the other device and lower resolution it will once again beat the crup out of the BB browser.

I can easily make a 4 year old video card display more FPS than a brand new card by loading the new card up with everything enabled on high using a 40" monitor, while the old card runs everything disabled on a 19".

Means nothing to me.
    Agreed. The question remains will you buy the 40" and new card, or try to get more out of the old card and display. I'm no bleeding-edger but I like my equipment to do what I need it to.
    05-01-10 11:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD