Hello,

My girlfriend is going to get her upgrade tomorrow, and she will be getting the tour, but in reality, I'm going to be taking it and putting it on my line. I've got just a few questions regarding the Tour... I'm very concerned about the trackball, because while I understand that they supposedly fixed the issues with the trackball back in August of last year, I find myself still reading reviews of the Tour and people still continue to have trackball issues. Is everything okay with it now? It's going to be a difficult situation to have to go to Verizon to get a new Tour when it is having trackball problems because it'll be on my account (completely separate family plan), meaning I'd have to change the phone back onto her account before we go to Verizon to switch the phone out. I'm coming from an 8830, and as much as I'd like to wait and get a 9650, it's just too expensive for me, and surprisingly enough, I'm finding when I play with my girlfriend's 8530, I miss the trackball that I have on my 8830, compared to using a trackpad.

In essence, I'm asking: is there still trackball issues with Tour phones today, April 29th, 2010.

Thank you.
    04-29-10 02:05 PM
    I've had the phone since day 1 and never had a trackball issue
    04-29-10 02:12 PM
    i haven't seen any defective trackball reports lately. i got a CLNR Tour 3.5 weeks ago and the TB is perfect as well as the battery door.

My original Tour (July) also had a great TB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-10 02:19 PM
    I got a more recent version of the Tour, and hands down I've been totally satisfied. If you're upgrading, Let's Talk from Wal*Mart has them free on a 2 year upgrade.

04-29-10 02:30 PM
    No problems with the trackball on my Tour. I have had mine since November '09 and it has worked great for me.
    04-29-10 03:03 PM
    why would you not wait for the tour 2 its out in less than a month
    04-29-10 03:08 PM
    you should definitely wait for the 9650 to come out.
    04-29-10 03:21 PM
    you should definitely wait for the 9650 to come out.
    and as much as I'd like to wait and get a 9650, it's just too expensive for me, and surprisingly enough, I'm finding when I play with my girlfriend's 8530, I miss the trackball
    OP stated why they won't wait for the 9650.
    04-29-10 03:37 PM
    read folks, he said he didnt like the trackpad, he missed the trackball... come on pay attention.... BFD about the trackpad. WIFI again BFD, more memory who has used all theirs up on the current Tour. Give me a fng break.
    04-29-10 03:54 PM
    Exactly not everybody can afford the usd200 after mail in rebate. I got my tour from Sprint 5 weeks ago and no TB issues. Battery door is little loose but nothing big
    04-29-10 03:55 PM
    i paid $200 for my Tour because i wanted it when i was out of US. But i'd not upgrade just because something new is available unless i needed it. i'm going to wait until the Bold is free, then upgrade. That's my trick. i also learned that the new devices always have issues!

04-29-10 03:57 PM
    I've had mine since November and have had no issues with the trackball. It requires cleaning periodically, but so do all bb trackballs.

04-29-10 03:58 PM
    I had mine for 6months best bb i ever had no issuewith anything i buy another
    04-29-10 03:59 PM
    We have total of 6 Tours, 2 dating back to Oct '09, 2 in Dec '09 and 2 in Feb '10 and none of them have ever had a trackball or battery door problem. We do clean kepboards and trackballs often as well as keep our hands clean while using them. We are very pleased and happy with the phones and do not plan to upgrade them anytime soon. Good luck with yours.
    04-29-10 04:58 PM
    i paid $200 for my Tour because i wanted it when i was out of US. But i'd not upgrade just because something new is available unless i needed it. i'm going to wait until the Bold is free, then upgrade. That's my trick. i also learned that the new devices always have issues!

Exactly, chrisy. I wanted the Tour when it first came out, but saw the whooping and hollering and backed away quickly. I picked up the Tour in March for � the price I paid for the Curve, and mine is worthwhile. What am I out, $50. With the crapola I've just gone through in my job change, no way can I justify shucking out $600 for 2 new devices and wait 6-8 weeks for them to send me a 3rd of it back.

When it's right, I'm only looking at October, December, and March for my next 3 upgrades. 8 months wait saved me plenty. And since he could get one for free on Verizon, even bigger savings could be realized.

04-29-10 05:44 PM
    I have 2 tours, one I purchased at release and one I've had since feb and I haven't had a problem with my trackballs

04-29-10 05:49 PM
    this was my first crackberry post and I wanted to say thank you to everybody for the nice feedback (I felt bad after posting, thought I'd get yelled at for asking a question that's been heard a thousand times before), but everyone kindly answered this for me, and I am now feeling completely confident about tomorrow.

Thank you everyone so much.

<3 blackberry and <3 the kind users at crackberry. will be sure to post back when I get my 9630 one more thing can someone tell me the best possible hybrid right now? been reading about driphter's custom hybrids..i'd like to have OS 5.0 for threaded sms.
    04-29-10 07:40 PM
    NO ISSUES WITH MY TRACKBALL
    I did have an issue after updating O.S 5.0.
    Otherwise I love my tour.

In regards to the trackpads... are they hard to deal with? I feel old school with a trackball when everyone is upgrading to trackpads.
    04-30-10 10:25 AM
    I have 2 Tours on my account. One I got in September 2009 the other in February 2010. (Wife's phone) Neither have ever had a Track Ball issue. Overall, they both have been great devices.
    04-30-10 10:30 AM
    I would first start with an official OS before diving into hybrids. The Sprint .484 and the older alltel .419 hardly have any issues. .591 from Verizon still has some like the browser click issues so I would stay away from that. You can always install an hybrid later. Driphter hybrids are one of the best imo. Superfast!

Your Tour will probably come with that OS so you could consider downgrading to one of the 2 that I mentioned. have fun with your tour! coming from a 8330 it will be a huge upgrade
    Last edited by Mistik1973; 04-30-10 at 10:33 AM.
    04-30-10 10:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD