I have an 8900 now and I'm really torn about what to do next.

I'm in the uk atm but will be moving to kansas city MONTH later this year...do they have decent 3g signal in that area??

Is the 9700 as fast??

You guys are the pro's help me out

Chris

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-10 05:08 AM
    I'm exactly in the same position. Actually with a 8900 i'm tired of EDGE it's'slow, even if upgrade to the last OS is much better than the 4.6 i need to change. I had a 3G so i want to see the new features of the iPhone, but i can't wait i need a change now... I'm afraid that there will be nothing new on the iPhone except rapidity and multitasking ( which 3GS will have too) and i'm really not interested in video call or something, so useless.... The slow of the iPhone 3G made me change ( sometimes 2 or 3 seconde to view a text message, 7 or 8 seconde to open whatsapp it's so annoying) on the blackberry it's very quick... I really don't know what to do. BlackBerry are so better in messaging than the iPhone i can send millions of text bbm and mail very quickly on the iPhone it's still too long

04-29-10 05:43 AM
    Chris. I have a 9700 and a 3GS. I use my 9700 as a phone and my 3GS for amusement a couple of times a week. I think I use the 3gs to remind myself how great my 9700 is.
    Think of it as your 8900 on steroids and minus any small issues the 8900 may have (ex-- memory leaks, annoying roller ball etc. )

Hope that helps.

04-29-10 05:48 AM
    OP's idea is to get a one sided thought... you must already have made up your mind and now want reenforcement... ok, buy a Blackberry... does that help???
    04-29-10 05:49 AM
    IPhone 4G:
    Pros:
    Big screen, multitouch, now multitasking, HD(may be), 4G, lots of app/games.
    Cons:
    Tough to deal with messaging part, slow and lagging, same old thing, telephony sucks, pay to greedy apple.

BB9700:
    Pros:
    Touch pad, BBM, full key pad(qwewrty), fast and snappy, 3G, power social life, emails, OS6 (as upgrade), rough and tough, web kit browser ( as upgrade), flash support (OS6 upgrade), good telephony support (sound quality while in/out calls), wide wireless carrier support even for 3G roaming.

Cons:
    Browser ( OS6 will give webkit), primitive OS (OS6 will rock BB world),

04-29-10 06:10 AM
    Wait for the new iphone announcment mate. It's only next month or June so not long to go. There is a possibility of HD video and it will of course be much better hardware even so wait it out. I am in the same position myself. Was going to upgrade to a 9700 today but think I will hold on for a bit longer. The 9700 seems to be crap in terms of handling video and I don't really want 2 devices if I can help it.
    04-29-10 06:12 AM
    I think the best combo is a 9700 and a iPod Touch... I really love my iPhone, really, but i text a lot, all of my friend have bbm, i text while driving and the iPhone is clearly not for that. BlackBerry is a real phone based on communication, that's it. When you really have to do a lot of things on it, you can see the limit of the OS...

I definitely think i'm gonna buy a 9700.
    04-29-10 06:13 AM
    I think the best combo is a 9700 and a iPod Touch... I really love my iPhone, really, but i text a lot, all of my friend have bbm, i text while driving and the iPhone is clearly not for that. BlackBerry is a real phone based on communication, that's it. When you really have to do a lot of things on it, you can see the limit of the OS...

I definitely think i'm gonna buy a 9700.

texting and driving - tut tut

thats what sold me on the BB
    04-29-10 06:31 AM
    IPhone is a good device, but if you email a lot, Bb is the way to go. Also, if you get an IPhone, be sure to buy an extra charger to take to work with you.
    04-29-10 06:32 AM
    Well I want the 9700 but I want to make its the right choice...is there any chance of this having Os6??

I thought that was mainly gonna be for the storm 2 and touch range

The bottom line is that I don't want to get it and then think that I should have waited for the handsets with OS6 or the 4g iphone

04-29-10 06:35 AM
    it's been reported that the 9700 is on the short list of devices supporting OS 6... So although it's not official, there is a good chance it will... I'm confident it will... The webkit browser back in Feb was shown on a 9700 and RIM has said the webkit browser is an integral part of OS 6, not standalone... so...

Here's the article on supported devices:

Will Your BlackBerry Receive OS 6.0? Supported Devices Revealed! - BlackBerry Leaks - Blackberry news, software, videos, info, reviews, previews

Keep in mind the iphone and 9700 are very different devices... it all depends on what your priorities are... if you want a cool gadget, with a large screen, a lot of wow factor, great multimedia and great integration with itunes and iphoto, the iphone is a no brainer... if battery life, signal quality, speaker volume are more important, then consider the 9700.... i won't even mention email, since the iphone has proven to be just as good with email and exchange compatibility as BB's.... so that in itself is a wash imo...

and then ask yourself if a small screen with a great (the best) physical keyboard are worth the compromise over a touch screen only, but larger screen...
    Last edited by mi_canuck; 04-29-10 at 08:23 AM.
    04-29-10 08:20 AM
    I definatelt prefer the blackberry but I want something that is as quick as the iphone .. Will the 9700 deliver that for me??

04-29-10 08:41 AM
    IPhone 4G:
    Pros:
    4G
    You do know that the '4G' in the 'iphone 4G' doesn't mean 4G network right? It just means its the 4th generation iphone...
    04-29-10 08:49 AM
    An iphone isn't practical for me so I went for a BB. I'm very happy with my 9700 after a few teething problems it seems to have been a minor blip. I would imagine that both phones will do exactly what you need them to do. Personal choice bud.

04-29-10 10:42 AM
    I was upgraded to the 9700 by T-Mobile today since my 8900 crashed 3 times in 3 months. I will try the 9700 for 2 months and then make a decision on the iPhone. The only way I go to iPhone is if it is on Verizon. AT&T sucks!! At least here in Dallas it is terrible and drops calls all the time.
    04-29-10 11:20 AM
    When my BB 8320 died I made the decision to get the 9700 instead of an iphone. Pretty much what was stated above were the reasons I chose the 9700 over the iphone. So far I'm happy. However, I've never used an iphone for comparison.

My wife upgraded to the 9700 too. The decision was hers to make, and I really thought I'd be using an iphone now. She surprised me with the decision for both of our phones. We're with T-mobile, but we were going to switch to ATT.
    04-29-10 11:56 AM
    Get a 9700 and an iPod Touch!!

Least you then have the Touch to play fantastic touch screen games on.

My wife just had the iPhone 3gs, yes its a good phone, better than I thought, the interface is so so so fluid and usable but for emails/texting then its just so hard and slow to get anything in as fast as on a BB.

So, I will be sticking to my 9700 and just stealing the iPhone off her now and again to play games on!

Steve
    04-29-10 12:33 PM
    i have a touch for games etc already not that i have much time to play on them lol

I think i will stick with blackberry *applause*

I may wait to see what has OS6 before i buy though
    04-29-10 01:15 PM
    I like the actual keyboard so Iphone does not work for me. I love my 9700. It is all personal preference. You can not go wrong with either phones they are both great and they both have pros and cons.
    04-29-10 01:33 PM
    I've got a BB for work use and touch for couch surfing. My wife has an iPhone and Pearl and neither of us can get used to the virtual keyboard on the iphone. Still prefer the Touch in terms of leisure use though.
    04-29-10 07:07 PM
    I just got the 9700 a week ago and forgot how much I love the BlackBerry! I switched to a touch screen (the Nexus One) and sold it within two months. I'm sure the iphone is similar with the whole touch thing and it drove me crazy. Also, I think that the 9700 is much faster than some of the older models of the blackberry. I would go with 9700...you won't regret it!
    04-29-10 11:37 PM
    Chris. I have a 9700 and a 3GS. I use my 9700 as a phone and my 3GS for amusement a couple of times a week. I think I use the 3gs to remind myself how great my 9700 is.
    Think of it as your 8900 on steroids and minus any small issues the 8900 may have (ex-- memory leaks, annoying roller ball etc. )

Hope that helps.

I have my Bold and an iPhone 3G. The bold just blows the 3G out of the water. The browser is really the only thing that the iPhone does better. The BlackBerry is very much a phone or communication device first and foremost, while the iPhone feels like an iPod with a cheap phone tacked on. Most importantly, typing on the 9700 is a dream compared to the touchscreen on the iPhone.

Oh, and if you get an iPhone, make sure you jailbreak it. Apple's restrictions are just ridiculous.

04-30-10 09:10 AM
    a blackberry is straight forward and not fancy. it's really good for email, messaging, and communication. if those are your priorities go for the blackberry but if you want to browse the internet and play around with your phone a lot choose the iphone.
    04-30-10 03:18 PM
    came from a iphone myself 2g and 3g and i really have to say besides the apps and the net the iphone didn't really do it for me in terms of sms,mms,voicecalls.. everyone who blames att well there half right, but it's not att it's the iphone cuz once i switched to the 9000 i had zero drop calls,mms (from the start lol) plus the phy. keyboard rocks comparing to touchscreen.. doesn't everyone know all the iphone commericals say it "there's a app for that" screw having a phone to make calls hahahaha just my 2 cents..

all the phones i've had iphone 2g,iphone 3g,9000,8900,s2,9700

ps when the iphone finally comes out for big red they will also have problems with there network with the flood of iphone data
    04-30-10 04:24 PM
    i tried an iphone 3gs. but i couldn't use it anymore. the apps are all you need in the daily commute but man the battery life sucks dogs. i agree a bb+ipod touch is the best combo. but i don't have a touch. i use an old g ipod.
    04-30-10 04:33 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD