I think the way that OS 6 is getting released is horrible!

My wife needed a new phone (hers got messed up) so I gave her my new 8530. I in turn went back to my Pearl flip (yuck) with the promise of no complaints by me slapping $550 down on a device....NICE!

So, I come here and see on the front page a display of the new OS 6.... Again NICE! They demonstrate all the touch features of the OS, except problem is there is no confirmed touch device on the market and or coming in the next like month that will support it.

So someone like me that is using a phone with nothing to offer has no choice but to search out other devices in order to know I am spending my money and at the same time remaining in the loop.

Another thing I find crappy is to introduce this video and come out with a new non-touch model? Looking at the video makes me think using the features of the OS on the 9650 may very well become combersome with a trackpad.

Love Blackberry! However I am not going to use a Pearl flip for months on end and wait to hear some good news!
    04-28-10 05:31 PM
    except problem is there is no confirmed touch device on the market and or coming in the next like month that will support it.
    The article on BBLeaks doesn't support your assertion of no confirmed touch screen devices. I am hoping the article is correct and the Storm2 will be supported.

Will Your BlackBerry Receive OS 6.0? Supported Devices Revealed! - BlackBerry Leaks - Blackberry news, software, videos, info, reviews, previews
    04-28-10 05:40 PM
    The article on BBLeaks doesn't support your assertion of no confirmed touch screen devices. I am hoping the article is correct and the Storm2 will be supported.

Will Your BlackBerry Receive OS 6.0? Supported Devices Revealed! - BlackBerry Leaks - Blackberry news, software, videos, info, reviews, previews
    I seen that. But, again it is not confirmed.

I would have no problem getting a Storm 2. I only hope they come out really soon and confirm it. I can't handle the messaging on this phone after being threaded since my Tour.
    04-28-10 05:43 PM
    Use the flip until concrete information comes out or get a different BB. It's like complaining that you can't do anything with your PC until Windows 8 comes out but so far you don't know what specs are needed. You obviously can't look forward in time so why worry about it?
    04-28-10 05:50 PM
    Use the flip until concrete information comes out or get a different BB. It's like complaining that you can't do anything with your PC until Windows 8 comes out but so far you don't know what specs are needed. You obviously can't look forward in time so why worry about it?
    Not complaining!

Just really think it is horrible marketing. Blackberry keeps hold of customers by always making them wait for something, that is just wrong.

On a side not, the computer thing is just common sense. Any modern computer will run the next big OS. And if it won't, simply a memory upgrade or whatnot will fix the problem.

A phone on the other hand is not that easy. You get what you buy and hope the support by the company whom makes the phone will keep you happy for a bit.

You could spend $550 on a phone and have it outdated tommorow (think Tour), or you could buy a computer that will last many many years. Really no comparison.
    04-28-10 06:06 PM
    Not complaining!

Just really think it is horrible marketing. Blackberry keeps hold of customers by always making them wait for something, that is just wrong.
    Microsoft does the same thing with Windows upgrades. It's never very long before the previous generation is no longer supported. It's part of tech life.
    04-28-10 09:04 PM
    You could spend $550 on a phone and have it outdated tommorow (think Tour), or you could buy a computer that will last many many years. Really no comparison.
    I think this is a pretty bad analogy and illustrates exactly the opposite of what you're trying to get across. A "many many years old" computer is just as quickly outdated as a phone. Just because any given phone may or may not have the horsepower to support a new OS doesn't mean that the phone is any less functional than the day when that phone was the hot new item on the block.

My own example: Just because the Bold 9650 is coming out doesn't mean that the Tour 9630 is "outdated." It just means that there's something more feature-rich available. The 9630 is just as capable and functional as it was back when folks were so excited that the 9630 was coming.

Blackberry keeps hold of customers by always making them wait for something, that is just wrong.
    Really? Announcing that you have new product or content coming and building buzz about it well in advance of its release is "just wrong?" I personally think that companies like Apple are masters of this marketing approach, and receive extremely high marks for their marketing skills. What better way to keep folks with your brand than to deliver a stream of new/updated product, with enough "teaser" of what's in the pipeline to keep them hooked (ideally) forever. Ever consider that the idea that announcing there's a new gee-whiz operating system for a "yet to be announced" future touch device, one obviously more powerful and therefore more exciting, is EXACTLY in line with a marketing approach designed to appeal to tech junkies? The CB front page is filled with speculation, spy photos and buzz about new stuff - announcing an OS that clearly indicates that there's bigger/better on the horizon only elevates the anticipation for folks who follow the cutting edge.

Your own initial post is clear proof that this type of marketing is successful, even on you. You're left wanting to know more about a new touch device, right?

I'm not sure RIM would win a prize for their marketing in the tech world, but I certainly wouldn't call it horrible. I'm sure that by the time OS6.0 is ready and about to be released, there will be a group of new devices that makes your pearl flip seem 17 generations old, and there will be features or speed that make you more than happy to move to a new device. The build-up to that and the fact that folks will foam at the mouth for the next big thing each and every time is why the marketing approach is the opposite of "horrible."
    04-29-10 06:57 AM
    I think the way that OS 6 is getting released is horrible!

My wife needed a new phone (hers got messed up) so I gave her my new 8530. I in turn went back to my Pearl flip (yuck) with the promise of no complaints by me slapping $550 down on a device....NICE!

So, I come here and see on the front page a display of the new OS 6.... Again NICE! They demonstrate all the touch features of the OS, except problem is there is no confirmed touch device on the market and or coming in the next like month that will support it.

So someone like me that is using a phone with nothing to offer has no choice but to search out other devices in order to know I am spending my money and at the same time remaining in the loop.

Another thing I find crappy is to introduce this video and come out with a new non-touch model? Looking at the video makes me think using the features of the OS on the 9650 may very well become combersome with a trackpad.

Love Blackberry! However I am not going to use a Pearl flip for months on end and wait to hear some good news!
    This is more curiosity on my part, but did you get the P-Flip new and if so why didn't you return before your thirty days were up to get something more suited to your liking? I think 30 days is plenty of time to figure out the phone had nothing to offer.

If it was something you got used, then disregard.
    04-29-10 07:38 AM
    Jeez, I have only just got the 8520 and its not upgradable
    Now, is this the official 'it will not work', or will there be leaks that we can try
    04-29-10 12:42 PM
    Sorry tried fixing a mistake in my post and it double posted, read the one bellow
    Last edited by jeff.parent; 04-29-10 at 01:44 PM.
    04-29-10 01:41 PM
    I think the reason everyone is a bit "angry" is due to the fact that OS5 took a while to come out and then its being replaced so quickly. I was using an 8310 for a few years and finally made the jump to a 9700. I love OS5 and the hardware is awesome. But in less than a year the OS is jumping a full major revision. Prior to 5 we saw 4.3 to 4.5 which added a lot of features and didn't require a hardware change. For all the Bold, 8900, Pearl, Storm people our there, there was 4.6 and 4.7 and finally 5. Some places I've heard people talk about a 5.2 but it seems like RIM has decided to REALLY jump high for what would be their next update.

The part that we should actually be disappointed about is the fact that all of the speculated devices have not had a major revision worthy jump in hardware. If there was we'd have less to complain about and BB would move even higher in market share. Since there is only a double in mem (512MB) and possibly a slight CPU freq increase, we ask "well why won't my current hardware work with OS6?" I wish the next gen devices have 10GB of flash and a 1.5GHz CPU. Those BB would kick so much ***. There would be a definate reason to upgrade then.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-10 01:42 PM
    Think of OS5 in terms of Windows Vista. OS5 in my mind is a minor update to OS4. Some stability issues, some bells and whistles, etc. OS6 should be more than a stability update with some minor cosmetic enhancements.
    04-29-10 01:52 PM
    I think the reason everyone is a bit "angry" is due to the fact that OS5 took a while to come out and then its being replaced so quickly.

OS5 took a while to come out. Do you really think the minute OS6 is complete, we're all going to get a crack at it?? No way. RIM is smarter than that. I think RIM will wait as long as possible to fully release OS6 to its consumers.

They're going to blow out all the current phones in stock. B/c if they release the "new and amazing phones, with new and amazing OS" no one will buy the "old" phones. I have a feeling we're going to be waiting a while for OS6 to get pushed down to us...

PS: And keeping consumers interested by dangling a carrot in front of them is the core theory behind marketing...
    04-29-10 02:23 PM
    Well it's getting a lot of press and publicity so I wouldn't say it's bad. Weather you feel negative or positive about it, the hype that it is building up are getting people excited and talking about it all over youtube and twitter.

As far as I know OS 6 is even taking the spotlight away from the HP Palm purchase.
    04-29-10 03:09 PM
    HP who? Palm who?

Ahh right.. Ok

OS 6 is what it is, Love it or hate it. People will still use it.
    04-29-10 03:13 PM
    Microsoft does the same thing with Windows upgrades. It's never very long before the previous generation is no longer supported. It's part of tech life.
    windows xp came out in 2001 and is just now being phased out 9 years later
    04-29-10 03:34 PM
    Not complaining!

Just really think it is horrible marketing.
    Horrible marketing? This marketing just dont match the moment you buy your phone. Every company do that like this.
    04-29-10 03:45 PM
    OS5 took a while to come out. Do you really think the minute OS6 is complete, we're all going to get a crack at it?? No way. RIM is smarter than that. I think RIM will wait as long as possible to fully release OS6 to its consumers.

They're going to blow out all the current phones in stock. B/c if they release the "new and amazing phones, with new and amazing OS" no one will buy the "old" phones. I have a feeling we're going to be waiting a while for OS6 to get pushed down to us...

PS: And keeping consumers interested by dangling a carrot in front of them is the core theory behind marketing...
    I completely agree, we really have no type of ETA on OS 6. And frankly its mostly just all the hype that is causing all this negativity on the topic. I also understand the need to push old stock (at work we are trying to do the same thing before we come out with our next generation hardware). Aside from the stocking issue though, I could seem them releasing OS 6 a bit earlier because when you think about it...who is going to leave BlackBerry because their device isn't supported? That means you have to go purchase an iPhone or a Droid when you could easily just purchase the next gen BB. Plus people like to stick with what they are comfortable with so if OS 6 really makes people upgrade or get out, I think people would stay.

I find it a bit humorous. People get upset about the fact that something new is coming out that they can't use. They want it but can't have it so its a "big deal". But once your up for a contract renewal/have the money/support is discontinued then there you are buying the device that you were previously resentful of.
    04-29-10 03:58 PM
    The specs for Windows 8 will roll out long before release. There might even be another beta test.

Most computers of days gone by can run a modern OS. I use Linux and have 13 computers scattered about and I can pull out my oldest 450Mhz beast and do a puppy install and run that machine for years if I so choose.

We don't have that choice in the world of the Blackberry. We have to buy a device and hope it has specs that can carry us into the future.

The anology is correct about the device having the same "features" it was bought with and not becoming less functional. We could also say the same thing about installing Windows 98 or 2000 on my 450Mhz machine. At the same time, the 450Mhz machine would not cost me $550 +/- today and would not be a huge gamble to buy, I would know what I got.

The gamble is not the same on a Windows mobile phone. Roms run all over the place and I highly doubt this will be an issue with Android.

Simply functioning for the sake of functioning is not what the tech world is all about. To have the latest and greatest is a game of "knowing when to hold em". At the same time we should not have to take such a high risk (the nature of the beast). Point is, new hardware should equal new hardware and be somewhat future proof as 98% of the world of tech is done this way. You will not buy a Computer,PDA,XBox 380 or whatever today and have it outdated in the morning. Microsoft, the kings of the mightly dollar even go out of the way to support older games on new gaming devices.

I really do think it is horrible! It is ok to make the dollar the bottom line (it should be), taking care of the customer also goes a long way in helping guarantee that you always have returning customers. Look at the many people jumping ship for Android, this is not because it is really any better, just the better of 2 evils.
    Last edited by corbintechboy; 04-29-10 at 07:18 PM.
    04-29-10 04:11 PM
    The trackpad on newer models function basically the same as the touchscreen Storms Have no fear. They won't release a whole OS for ONE phone people.

04-29-10 07:20 PM
    I think the OP has a point. RIM announced this new OS coming 3rd qtr. Not next year, next qtr, but fail to announce officially what devices will run it. They obviously know, why not announce it with the OS??? They even announce 2 new devices but no word on if they will get it (most likely). No one expects a company to support devices forever, but not giving basic info like what devices will run it so close to launch is just irresponsible.
    04-29-10 07:45 PM
    Here's conclusions...here's you jumping to conclusions. How can ANYONE at this point pretend to actually KNOW what's going to happen?

Some of you know what we have to do...sit and wait. The rest become chicken littles "the sky is falling" "how dare RIM release new tech when I just bought my new phone".

*sheesh*

04-29-10 07:59 PM
    I think the OP has a point. RIM announced this new OS coming 3rd qtr. Not next year, next qtr, but fail to announce officially what devices will run it. They obviously know, why not announce it with the OS??? They even announce 2 new devices but no word on if they will get it (most likely). No one expects a company to support devices forever, but not giving basic info like what devices will run it so close to launch is just irresponsible.
    Lol. Why is it irresponsible. If they told you which devices and yours wasn't on the list then what? Then you would be ******** about how your POS 2007 phone doesn't get the new OS6. Would you shell out money for one of THOSE models BEFORE you see how it actually functions on the phone?THEN what happens if you did have the list....yours isn't on it....you buy one that is on it....then they change the lust on release day and surprise...there's a OS6 for the phone you had in the first place! Now you're a sucker!
    When its released you'll find out. Then you can make your decision.

04-29-10 08:03 PM
    Here's conclusions...here's you jumping to conclusions. How can ANYONE at this point pretend to actually KNOW what's going to happen?

Some of you know what we have to do...sit and wait. The rest become chicken littles "the sky is falling" "how dare RIM release new tech when I just bought my new phone".

*sheesh*
    Thats brand loyalty for ya!

Really, why we have to wait? It is a different story if they just say that this will only be supported on new (as in after official release devices).

Example:
    New XBox 380 introduced....YAY!
    I know that if I run out and buy a 360 it is outdated. Flip the script and make this a phone sold by Blackberry and we have no idea!

It seems to be the mentality of Blackberry users. They think it is OK. It is not!

Blackberry is the worst company I have seen on new feature enhancements! Take the Pearl flip, it never had a future. Is it right for this company to still sell a phone that never really had a proper start? NO! But the people with brand loyalty think this ok. Contrary to popular belief, it is not!

Would Ford come out and say they have made a 5000hp motor without giving an idea of what car it might go in? NO!

Would a computer maker sell you a computer without somewhere in the specs saying that memory is able to be expanded? NO!

The point is, to remain cutting edge is always a risk of some sort. To remain on the cutting edge without knowing is insane and a waste of resources. This is the way Blackberry works! A $550 investment on a device is no small investment! Why should I not want to know what I am getting? This is only exceptable in the BB world!
    04-29-10 08:13 PM
    Lol. Why is it irresponsible. If they told you which devices and yours wasn't on the list then what? Then you would be ******** about how your POS 2007 phone doesn't get the new OS6. Would you shell out money for one of THOSE models BEFORE you see how it actually functions on the phone?THEN what happens if you did have the list....yours isn't on it....you buy one that is on it....then they change the lust on release day and surprise...there's a OS6 for the phone you had in the first place! Now you're a sucker!
    Doesn't seem as if it is a problem at that point. If you run out and get a new device because you can rest assured it is supported, who cares if your old one all the sudden becomes supported?

Ebay! Selling like new Curve 8530 Blackberry OS 6 supported!

Imagine the price you would get and this would not be hard to sell. That is the nature of the beast in the real world! Real world risk! The way it SHOULD be!
    04-29-10 08:18 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD