I received this email a couple weeks ago. I do remember the contest but I dont remember there being a place for an address. Did anyone else get this and if they did and its real, what phone is it? Thanks for any info you have.

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 16:58:31 -0400
    To: <#$%^&*(.com>
    Subject: Congratulations! Update Your Profile Sweepstakes Winner

Dear Winner,

Congratulations! You have been selected as a Prize winner in the Research In Motion BLACKBERRY� UPDATE YOUR PROFILE Sweepstakes.

You have won a new BlackBerry smartphone! Approximate retail value is $199.

Please be advised that your prize will be shipped to you shortly.

On behalf of Research In Motion, CONGRATULATIONS and enjoy your prize.

Confidentiality Warning: This e-mail contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this e-mail.
    If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify us by return e-mail. Thank you.
    04-28-10 01:25 PM
    I received this email a couple weeks ago. I do remember the contest but I dont remember there being a place for an address. Did anyone else get this and if they did and its real, what phone is it? Thanks for any info you have.

From: "BlackBerry Support" <Blackberrysupport@maritz.com>
    Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 16:58:31 -0400
    To: <#$%^&*(.com>
    Subject: Congratulations! Update Your Profile Sweepstakes Winner

Dear Winner,

Congratulations! You have been selected as a Prize winner in the Research In Motion BLACKBERRY� UPDATE YOUR PROFILE Sweepstakes.

You have won a new BlackBerry smartphone! Approximate retail value is $199.

Please be advised that your prize will be shipped to you shortly.

On behalf of Research In Motion, CONGRATULATIONS and enjoy your prize.

Confidentiality Warning: This e-mail contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this e-mail.
    If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify us by return e-mail. Thank you.
    See the bolded print...that doesn't look like an offical RIM e-mail address to me. If it's too good to be true, it usually is. Sorry.
    04-28-10 01:27 PM
    I have a rule, if it seems too good to be true it probably is, the one thing that sticks out to me is the "aproximate retail value of $199" the retail value of a berry is more like $599 199 is the contract price with a carrier. Just a thought if i got that i would delete it.

JUST GOOGLED MARITZ.COM. ITS A RESEARCH FIRM. NOT CONNECTED TO RIM AS BEST AS I CAN TELL.
    04-28-10 01:31 PM
    If you win anything from Crackberry, it should come from a Crackberry.com email address (I think it's [email protected]).

Certainly seems like a scam to me.
    04-28-10 01:33 PM
    Thats what I was thinking but nobody asked me for anything in return. I am Very careful with this kind of stuff. Just wondering.
    04-28-10 01:35 PM
    This is such a blatant, phony email I'm rather surprised you're even asking. First, if you were a "lucky winner" for a contest you actually entered, then the email would be addressed to you personally, not to "Dear Winner." Second, as markhunsaker pointed out (Mark, that name rings a big time bell with me...wondering if I know you from somewhere...or certainly I knew a Mark Hunsaker) look at the return email address...."Maritz.com" Bingo....alarm bells.

Delete and ignore (and wait for the postman to ring your doorbell...lol) Hey, you could always call one of their two toll-free numbers posted on their website. Chew 'em out.
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 04-28-10 at 01:40 PM.
    04-28-10 01:36 PM
    This is a phishing scam to collect email addresses. That is what I assume anyhow as there is no other link or anything in this email.
    04-28-10 01:36 PM
    If a free BB ends up in your mailbox next week, it's not a scam I guess.

If they ask you to "activate" the device by signing up for a bunch of "free" offers then, well, I'd delete and ignore...
    04-28-10 01:37 PM
    I agree with the post above me (number 8). Just leave it set in your inbox. Give it two weeks and if you get a new BB then activate it and you're good to go otherwise ignore it and delete. Do NOT reply to the e-mail.
    04-28-10 02:16 PM
    Yeah there was no way I was going to reply to the email. I did however find out the company is real. They are a large consumer marketing / image firm that does this kind of thing.
    04-28-10 02:37 PM
    I haven't seen or gotten anything like that. That for sure looks like a scam so just avoid it and just take your email off that site.
    04-28-10 03:15 PM
    Forward it to RIM and ask if they indeed sent it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-10 03:42 PM
    This is OBVIOUSLY scam.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-10 04:58 PM
    The email probably didn't even really come from Maritz.com

Then again, if a blackberry shows up in the mail one day, be sure to let us know

(Mark, that name rings a big time bell with me...wondering if I know you from somewhere...or certainly I knew a Mark Hunsaker)
    Michael Hunsaker was the name of the character in the movie Lethal Weapon who's daughter was killed, and then he was killed in the house on the ocean cliff, sniped by Gary Busey from a helicopter.
    04-28-10 05:32 PM
    You know, I'll bet you're one of those guys who says something along the lines of "Hey, remember that movie that came out 31 years ago, where Joe is standing in front of Mary and says...........What a great scene that was, remember it?" I HATE those people, LOL. ****, I can watch a movie last night and won't remember those details in the morning, even when I know I loved the movie!! Unreal. That being said, I would be floored if that was why the name rang a bell, given my memory issues with movies.

Regarding the Maritz comment, hadn't thought of that but yeah, could well be a spoof. Bottom line is, as you said, ignore it and forget about it. If you get a surprise, you get a surprise, but other than that, forget about it. Ok, we've beaten this thread to death!

The email probably didn't even really come from Maritz.com

Then again, if a blackberry shows up in the mail one day, be sure to let us know

Michael Hunsaker was the name of the character in the movie Lethal Weapon who's daughter was killed, and then he was killed in the house on the ocean cliff, sniped by Gary Busey from a helicopter.
    04-28-10 06:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD