I am leaning towards getting the Bold(the delay does not help), but I was thinking to myself how much would I pay for the Bold over the iPhone?

I've always believed that in order for RIM to even get decent sales of its Bold, it's going to have to be at, near, or below the price for the $199 iPhone, but something in my gut tells me that RIM will price this phone in the $300+ range. Especially with the cheaper Curve and Pearl out there.

Although the Bold may not be aimed as a consumer phone, it must be priced that way in order to make a dent. I don't think many people are going to stick around and wait for the Javelin, or Thunder after the Bold, if the price is expensive.

I think RIM has to make the decision(if they haven't already), to match the iPhone's price and make less money per device if that's what it takes. (Most of the smartphones coming out seem to be following that strategy.) Otherwise, RIM could see their marketshare tumble very quickly, unless they can push the Thunder or another device quicker(and cheaper than the Bold)

So i guess after all that... i'm probably willing to pay around $50 - $60 more for the Bold without thinking about it. Anything higher... it would be a very hard decision.
    06-25-08 04:07 PM
    Every topic is over this bro.

I wouldn't pay to have an Iphone, because my network doesnt support it, and plus I dont like the way it operates.

So, of course I would pay more for a Blackberry.
    06-25-08 04:12 PM
    An interesting question, to which I am sure would get a very different answer if asked on a an iPhone forum!

I would guess that the majority of the posters on here are already Blackberry 'fans' anyway, and would probably be prepared to pay a bit over the odds to purchase their "dream phone"... i.e the Bold!
    06-25-08 04:15 PM
    An interesting question, to which I am sure would get a very different answer if asked on a an iPhone forum!

I would guess that the majority of the posters on here are already Blackberry 'fans' anyway, and would probably be prepared to pay a bit over the odds to purchase their "dream phone"... i.e the Bold!
    Exactly, if you had a crowd of apple lovers they would go for it.
    06-25-08 04:18 PM
    I've wondered if they might price it at $299/w 2 yr contract with a $100 rebate, making the final price $199 after rebate.
    06-25-08 07:33 PM
    Im not gonna lie, if VZW had the iPhone, I'd switch over in a second. But they dont. And to answer your question, I wouldnt pay more for a Bold than for an iPhone. The Bold isnt an iPod. The Bold comes with only 1GB on-board memory. The Bold doesnt have nearly as good a browser. The Bold's screen is smaller. Yes, the Bold has a physical keyboard, but I type just as fast on my iPod touch as I do on my Curve...and my iPod touch corrects me if I type something wrong. Why dont I have an iPhone? Because I have Verizon, the service with the best reception in the United States.
    06-25-08 07:44 PM
    Coming from an iPhone user here, I am willing to pay $299 - 399 for the bold considering the iPhone 3G will be priced at $199.

I am really looking forward to the release of the bold. It will be my first blackberry (other than the R900M that I still have, which is activated on a free test account since 2001).
    06-26-08 07:54 AM
    Im not gonna lie, if VZW had the iPhone, I'd switch over in a second. But they dont. And to answer your question, I wouldnt pay more for a Bold than for an iPhone. The Bold isnt an iPod. The Bold comes with only 1GB on-board memory. The Bold doesnt have nearly as good a browser. The Bold's screen is smaller. Yes, the Bold has a physical keyboard, but I type just as fast on my iPod touch as I do on my Curve...and my iPod touch corrects me if I type something wrong. Why dont I have an iPhone? Because I have Verizon, the service with the best reception in the United States.
    I have AT&T and have had it for years and I don't have any problems with service. In fact, I typically have 5 bars inside my house nowadays. I lam in a 3G area since I live in the Philadelphia metropolitan area. I am thinking of switching to the iPhone myself, but I LOVE my 8300 Curve.
    06-26-08 07:58 AM
    My bold was under $500 canadian [and this was 2 weeks ago], no contract, lol
    06-27-08 05:16 AM
    the Bold is NOT being delayed....and I'll pay up to prolly $600
    06-27-08 05:31 AM
    i'd pay $400 w/o contract
    06-27-08 12:14 PM
    The Bold has a MicroSD slot and you can have as many MicroSD cards as you want filled with movies music or whatever. They are small though and I don't look forward to carrying extras with me but I guess I'll just have to keep it with the spare battery. Once you run out of space on your iphone/touch you have to either resync or get another iphone/touch.

My 8700 corrects me if I type something wrong and I can alter the autotext (not sure if you can do that on an iphone/touch as I never tried). I assume the 9000 will too.

I used to have Verizon and I dropped calls like crazy, especially in downtown manhattan where I work which is when i switched to at&t. It wasn't bad in Queens though but I hate the company (I had DSL and even though they admitted they broke it they refused to stop billing me) but now I can joyfully say I am Verizon free (but secretly I really want FiOS).

A lot of people claim to be able to type on the virtual keyboard as fast as a qwerty but I'd have to see it to believe it. Some companies sell virtual KBs for regular computers but they don't exactly have big sales.
    06-27-08 01:22 PM
    I'm a Blackberry type of guy...so I would pay a premium (whatever that price may be) to get the new Blackberry, instead of an iPhone. I currently have the 8830 WE...Sprint sucks...bring on the Bold!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-08 11:52 PM
    I was pretty hyped for the bold. still am, and will wait until it finally gets released.. in the mean time I'll keep using my Treo650. As for price, I'd be willing to go to $300 w/contract...
    06-29-08 12:33 AM
    Since I am going to unlocked route, I really don't want to pay more than 400.00. However it will probably be more than that.

06-29-08 09:58 AM
    Since I am going to unlocked route, I really don't want to pay more than 400.00. However it will probably be more than that.

Where would they get off charging $400? In my opinion, RIM should not charge more than the iPhone for the Bold. It is going to be directly compared to the iPhone, and with almost everything working against the Bold, we dont need to throw more onto the fire with a higher price. None of you should pay more than an iPhone for this Blackberry. It cant do more than an iPhone.
    06-29-08 10:25 AM
    it totally depends on what you need the device for. the price is kind of irrelevant. if you're just looking for a little toy to play around on, then get the iphone, which will probably be cheaper. if you need to get some business done, get the bold.
    06-29-08 11:14 AM
    They would have to PAY ME to take an iBrick and even then I'd sell it on the same day.

I am not exactly an Apple fan since the days of the Apple II and anything I have seen and used since. For me, Apple is rotten to the core.
    06-29-08 11:39 AM
    If the Bold came out today, I pay $300 for it.

If it comes out after the iPhone, I will wait until it's at the Curve's price point.
    06-29-08 02:23 PM
    If it comes out after the iPhone, I will wait until it's at the Curve's price point.
    EXACTLY! Perhaps the best said on this topic in three threads.
    06-29-08 02:29 PM
    mmmm I would go for both yes Im with tmobile so it just depends I would get the iphone with att of course get a new line with them. and wait long enough for tmobile to get the bold maybe i would use the bold only for data and the iphone for voice or mmmm jsut gotta wait and seee... Im loving the new iphone and love the bold and love blackberry and love my curve.... lol but i also love apple... lol
    06-29-08 02:38 PM
    uh, got news for you stang68, BB can do things that the sighphone can't... cut and paste, remembers most frequently used words and most frequently called or texted contacts, you can actually WORK on an attachment rather than just look at it, save attachments, MMS. That list goes on and on. The iphone can do things that the BB cant do though, like turn pictures sideways when you turn the phone (that's useful, right?). I can't wait to get rid this darn iphone. Do you know how aggrevating it is when you take our your phone at the mall or something and 100 12yr. old kids run up to you because you are now the coolest person there? Well, I drank up the hype when the iphone came out jumped off my
    BB. I can't wait to switch back, i feel handicapped. As for the topic, you couldn't GIVE me a iphone 3G! But as for typing, you can definitely type as fast if not faster on the touch screen with a little practice, that's if the iphone isn't frozen on you.
    06-29-08 04:09 PM
    Where would they get off charging $400? In my opinion, RIM should not charge more than the iPhone for the Bold. It is going to be directly compared to the iPhone, and with almost everything working against the Bold, we dont need to throw more onto the fire with a higher price. None of you should pay more than an iPhone for this Blackberry. It cant do more than an iPhone.
    For starters, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the first iPhone was approx. in the $400 -$500 range. The NEW iPhone 3G is mainly going to be cheaper because it is supposedly made mostly out of plastic instead of metal. Second, with the exception of the touch screen, a Blackberry is somewhat more capable than the iPhone, since the iPhone is locked to iTunes. The actual capability of a phone is determined by what the person using it wants it to do. And third, microSD expansion cards are starting to reach sizes comparable to the iPods. Given the fact that the Bold has a multimedia player and can swap out microSDs, AND is supposed to be compatible with iTunes, it can do virtually everything an iPhone can, and more.

bj1712 also brought up a few good points.

you couldn't GIVE me a iphone
    'nuff said righ there! lol
    Last edited by Andy90; 06-29-08 at 04:41 PM. Reason: NONE
    06-29-08 04:35 PM
    For starters, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the first iPhone was approx. in the $400 -$500 range. The NEW iPhone 3G is mainly going to be cheaper because it is supposedly made mostly out of plastic instead of metal. Second, with the exception of the touch screen, a Blackberry is somewhat more capable than the iPhone, since the iPhone is locked to iTunes. The actual capability of a phone is determined by what the person using it wants it to do. And third, microSD expansion cards are starting to reach sizes comparable to the iPods. Given the fact that the Bold has a multimedia player and can swap out microSDs, AND is supposed to be compatible with iTunes, it can do virtually everything an iPhone can, and more.
    You have to go out and buy a microSD card and I believe the iPhone COMES with the memory. When the App Store comes out, the iPhone will be able to do anything possible. I mean that. Now, lets remember...I love my Blackberry. I would like an iPhone but I dont want ATT. So, Im sitting tight until Verizon gets it next year (yes, next year). Maybe I wont like the iPhone once I get it, but I love my iPod touch and only see potential for the iPhone. If RIM is smart (and they are) they will not price the Bold over $300.
    06-29-08 07:24 PM
    Aside from the fact that I would never buy an iPhone if the iPhone is $199.99 I'd be willing to pay $100.00 to $150.00 dollars more.
    06-29-08 07:24 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD