I'm a longtime Sprint customer - I like the price, service has been ok (not great, but not bad), so will be staying with Sprint.

I am currently on a Palm Pre, but have had some frustration with it and seriously considering Android and BlackBerry - definitely leaning toward BlackBerry because I really strongly prefer the vertical physical keyboard. (Big wall of text of current post probably demonstrates why...)

So far I've always found both corporate and affiliate Sprint Stores to be somewhat frustrating on getting exact answers to my questions; so I tend to try to get details from actual users rather than rely on a salespersons pitch. I'm sure SOME salespeople are capable of giving complete and correct answers, but I just don't happen across them.

If I'm understanding what I've read, BB is distinct from most smartphones in that significant portions of the functionality actually run on the server (either BIS or BES) rather than the phone itself. I think that I saw mention somewhere that each BIS provider can make their own choices about what functionality they actually deliver. This brings me to my first question:

Is Sprint's BIS restricted/limited function or is it all/full functionality that's possible with BIS?

It is also unclear to me - how much is actually tied to BIS v.s done on the phone itself. Obviously email is (i.e. the phone itself doesn't ever talk IMAP - BIS talks IMAP to your mail server and phone to BIS is something BB specific) - and I'd guess contacts/addressbook, calendar, task/todo list are... but what about web browsing? Instant Messaging? VPN? VNC/RDesktop?

As an example: at work, our WiFi connection allows HTTP/HTTPS traffic, but not other ports; and there are parts of the building were we have good WiFi coverage, but poor/no cell coverage. In those areas will I still be able to get at the services provided by BIS? Obviously no cell voice/SMS/MMS - or any service that is blocked at the WiFi router.
    04-27-10 08:54 AM
    No carrier I've heard of "restricts" BIS features. This provides the basic functionality of many BB services. Some people on other carriers actually have to pay extra for BIS (not Sprint luckily).

For your push e-mail, BB Messenger, App World, etc. - basically anything proprietary to BB you will need a cell tower connection. WiFi will work for everything else, like web browsing 3rd party apps/messenger clients, and so on.
    04-27-10 10:22 AM
    I dont think this is correct?.. my understanding is that wifi allows full BIS functionality incl push email and bbm

mind you, given that it doesnt work on my 8330 (lol) this is only what i have inferred from discussions on 9700 etc..

No carrier I've heard of "restricts" BIS features. This provides the basic functionality of many BB services. Some people on other carriers actually have to pay extra for BIS (not Sprint luckily).

For your push e-mail, BB Messenger, App World, etc. - basically anything proprietary to BB you will need a cell tower connection. WiFi will work for everything else, like web browsing 3rd party apps/messenger clients, and so on.
    04-27-10 10:59 AM
    WiFi does allow full BIS functionality - push e-mail, bbm, browser. However, you still need an active BB data plan on your activated phone.
    04-27-10 12:04 PM
    When going over WiFi - does anyone know what port is used to communicate between the phone and the BIS server? Does it all tunnel over HTTP or use some other port?
    04-27-10 12:40 PM
    I dont know if you guys watched the video of the OS6 im not going to lie it looks neat and sleek only problem is that its barely getting released (well not yet) and i already jumped wagon the android os
    04-27-10 02:12 PM
    How much is done over BIS vs wifi is all dependent on your usage and what apps you use (as well as the settings you use in those apps).

As for OS6, it looks like it will tie up a lot of the loose ends on the OS. I'm more excited about the wide range of form factors though, mostly because nobody else is doing it. They're all just releasing glass slates now...
    04-27-10 02:23 PM
    Sorry if I gave bad info - it was second hand as the old Tour doesn't have WiFi. Good to know.

How much is done over BIS vs wifi is all dependent on your usage and what apps you use (as well as the settings you use in those apps).

As for OS6, it looks like it will tie up a lot of the loose ends on the OS. I'm more excited about the wide range of form factors though, mostly because nobody else is doing it. They're all just releasing glass slates now...
    Will you be getting a new phone? OS6 doesn't support the phone listed in your profile.
    04-28-10 12:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD