Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Car?

1 2.04%
  • Home(wall)?

42 85.71%
  • Computer(USB)?

6 12.24%
    I seem to get better performance from my Pearl battery when I use my computer USB charging cable than I do with my car/home charger!

So the Question is.....

Car charger....?

Home(wall) charger....?

or PC(USB) charger....?

Which do you find best?
    06-25-08 10:07 AM
    Last time I did the computer charge it didn�t even last as long, compared to the wall charging. That just my opinion
    06-25-08 10:29 AM
    My battery seems to do ok with just the wall charger. It does last me all day from sun up to sun down. I'm on it constantly. Non stop. Does it take longer on the usb vs wall vs car charger? That could be one of the reasons you might be getting a better charge from the USB. I'll try using the USB for awhile and see.
    06-25-08 10:33 AM
    should probably charge it with a charger.

sorry i couldnt help it
    06-25-08 10:35 AM
    I would have to say that I can't tell which method charges the best. For me they all being my battery to 100% at the same speed. Or I'm just not paying attention close enough.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-08 10:40 AM
    From the last couple of post it seems that the wall is better. I think I'll stick with it. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'll wait till the poll closes.
    06-25-08 10:42 AM
    I use all three....

I just think that My Berry holds a charge longer after being charged on the USB.
    06-25-08 10:48 AM
    The original BlackBerry supplied wall charger without a doubt. It was designed to do the job. Anything else is just generic.

Remember that the USB port is only there as a maintainence socket. It was never designed to be used for day to day charging or for everyday syncing. It was put there becuase RIM neeeded a way to upgrade the OS and to do other maintainence. The USB port is far too flimsy to ever be used as the prime interface - like we do.

Charging: Look at the back of the phone. Two gold connectors. These are the prime charging connector pins. The Blackberry was designed to be charged in a cradle not via the USB socket.

Syncing: RIM originally only had BES. The way that users synced was OTA not via the USB. Whne BIS came out, we all started to use the USB port for this but it was never intended that way. BIS only works on 81xx, 83xx ans 88xx series phones all the rest of RIM's phones only ever used OTA + BES.
    06-25-08 11:08 AM
    I notice no difference either, nor should there be a difference. if you think you are noticing differences, I would bet that you are just imagining things
    I charge mine by usb to my desktop at home, and by wall wart through usb at work (the one that came with my motorla S9 headset incidently).
    I also dont buy into the theory of the usb port never being meant to be a charge port. every other phone out there nowadays uses only a usb port. the contacts on the back for the cradle are just a convenience i think, since stuffing the phone into a cradle for charging is quicker and easier than fumbling with a usb port. If it was meant to only be charged by those contacts, my pearl wouldve come with a cradle instead of a usb wall charger and a usb cable...
    06-25-08 11:15 AM
    I notice no difference either, nor should there be a difference. if you think you are noticing differences, I would bet that you are just imagining things
    I charge mine by usb to my desktop at home, and by wall wart through usb at work (the one that came with my motorla S9 headset incidently).
    I also dont buy into the theory of the usb port never being meant to be a charge port. every other phone out there nowadays uses only a usb port. the contacts on the back for the cradle are just a convenience i think, since stuffing the phone into a cradle for charging is quicker and easier than fumbling with a usb port. If it was meant to only be charged by those contacts, my pearl wouldve come with a cradle instead of a usb wall charger and a usb cable...
    Early phones DID come with a cradle. It was only when RIM got cheap that they stopped putting the cradle in the box. Look at how weak the BlackBerry USB port is. I have so far replaced 3 USB ports on peoples phones. mini-USB ports are far too fragile for what we use them for.
    06-25-08 11:22 AM
    I have done all 3 and the one I see better results from is the home charger.
    06-25-08 11:24 AM
    The wall charger is the best choice. Another thing is to not charge your battery too long, only charge it for about 2-3 hours from dead and it should last you all day.

06-25-08 11:30 AM
    The original BlackBerry supplied wall charger without a doubt. It was designed to do the job. Anything else is just generic.

Remember that the USB port is only there as a maintainence socket. It was never designed to be used for day to day charging or for everyday syncing. It was put there becuase RIM neeeded a way to upgrade the OS and to do other maintainence. The USB port is far too flimsy to ever be used as the prime interface - like we do.

Charging: Look at the back of the phone. Two gold connectors. These are the prime charging connector pins. The Blackberry was designed to be charged in a cradle not via the USB socket.

Syncing: RIM originally only had BES. The way that users synced was OTA not via the USB. Whne BIS came out, we all started to use the USB port for this but it was never intended that way. BIS only works on 81xx, 83xx ans 88xx series phones all the rest of RIM's phones only ever used OTA + BES.

I agree.
    I had to replace my old BB because the USB connector was falling out!
    Which cradle charger do you recommend?

Q
    06-25-08 11:40 AM
    Cant remeber the last time i used the wall charger! Always in the car or on the computer.
    06-25-08 11:45 AM
    define "better performance"
    06-25-08 12:12 PM
    If what you say is true, then why do they not ISSUE a cradle with the phones?
    06-25-08 12:14 PM
    define "better performance"
    Battery life seems better.

06-25-08 12:43 PM
    Ah fiddle STIX! I forgot about the cradle.... Oh yeah and that solar clip thingy....
    Oh well.looks like I am imagining things according to some.

06-25-08 12:45 PM
    I use all 3, but the wall charger by far makes it last longer.
    06-25-08 12:51 PM
    once charged, battery life will be identical for all charging methods. to say otherwise is just plain wrong and not possible.
    the only difference that is possible would be charging times, and the only time that should differ is while plugged into a computer that does not have drivers loaded for the bb; charge times will be extremely slow, if it even charges at all.
    06-25-08 03:04 PM
    If what you say is true, then why do they not ISSUE a cradle with the phones?
    It's cheaper (read: more profitable) for RIM if they sell you the cradle separately.

I can't argue one way or the other about what the "intention" of specific ports and connectors on the BB's are, but he's absolutely right about the usb ports being flimsy. Before I even found this site, my boss told me the day I got my Curve that I need to get a cradle for charging - he's on his 4th Pearl in about a year and a half or so because of the usb ports.

That being said, I'm not gonna carry a cradle with me or buy a separate one for work, home, and car. I try to be as careful as possible with the usb port, but if it breaks...well, then that's just life, and it blows, but it'll get fixed - that's why I got the insurance
    06-25-08 04:48 PM
    The wall charger is the best choice. Another thing is to not charge your battery too long, only charge it for about 2-3 hours from dead and it should last you all day.

Not sure what you maen by this, but there is no problem at all "overcharging" your battery. LI-ION batteries do not suffer from any memory issues. The only thing i would recommend is giving it a full charge when you first have the charge. 8 hrs or so will top it off initially (for me anyways). You will notice that even after your battery hits 100% the little lightning bolt will still be on for a bit longer. This is actually completing the charge. But in essence, you can charge the phone however you want. Every night if you want or whatever. But i would suggest along with everyone else using the wall charger.
    06-25-08 05:00 PM
    I use all 3 options but without a doubt find that the wall charger does the quickest job.

I usually charge it every day in my car to/from work so it almost never runs out completely during the work week.
    06-25-08 07:29 PM
    I don't own a car charger.
    But through the USB it seems like it takes forever to fully charge.
    So definitly the wall.
    06-25-08 07:42 PM
    I agree.
    I had to replace my old BB because the USB connector was falling out!
    Which cradle charger do you recommend?

Q
    Sorry for the slow reply. I had a support problem with another forum member and then I selfishly went to bed.

The cradle I use is this one.

It is the official Blackberry version and I got mine on ebay but you can get them right here on Crackberry.
    Last edited by Pete6; 06-26-08 at 03:30 AM.
    06-26-08 02:22 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD