When the Tour first launched, people were saying it was outdated because it didn't have the trackpad or wi-fi. Now that the Bold is launching, the same thing seems to be happening. How come there isn't wireless N on this device? The Pearl that was announced at the same time as the Bold has wireless-N and the Pearl is geared towards average phone users. Wouldn't it make sense for your top-of-the-line QWERTY CDMA phone to have wireless-N?
    04-26-10 07:52 AM
    I was thinking the same thing. It should have wireless n.
    04-26-10 07:55 AM
    What is wireless n??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-10 08:03 AM
    Don't worry - RIM will release the Bold 9690 in February with wireless-N and slightly higher RAM, and people on this forum who just bought their 9650 barely 9 months prior will jump at the chance to plop down hundreds of dollars for it.
    04-26-10 08:06 AM
    its crazy how people complain no matter what they have.. nothing is ever perfect to them
    04-26-10 08:09 AM
    I couldn't agree more. Why don't all of these blackberry haters just go join the Android/iPhone forums instead?

its crazy how people complain no matter what they have.. nothing is ever perfect to them
    Wireless N is a much faster WIFI connection speed compared to G/B

What is wireless n??
    04-26-10 08:24 AM
    I couldn't agree more. Why don't all of these blackberry haters just go join the Android/iPhone forums instead?

Wireless N is a much faster WIFI connection speed compared to G/B

you know they are closet blackberry lovers? I mean if I hated the phone as bad as they are saying I wouldn't log on here for updates on it and see where it is going. Closet bold lovers.
    04-26-10 08:36 AM
    Really? You guys are complaining about not having n? Is n necessary on a phone? lets take 802.11g for example at 54mbps. Lets cut that in half since that number is a marketing full duplex number and say we really have about 24mbps to work with after everything. Lets take 99% of what people will be doing with this phone my guess is browsing the internet. How fast is your cable/DSL coming into your house 10mbps? Even if you had lets say 30mbps coming into your house. Will you notice a web page render faster? NO.

How many of you are really going to download local LAN content and need 150mbps of throughput? My guess is close to 0%. Its not a file server. Its not like your going to be using it to store gigs and gigs of files.

No need for 802.11n at this point in a phone. I would rather have the g chip-set and save more battery life.
    04-26-10 08:39 AM
    I'm not complaining. I just think it's weird that of 2 phones announced on the same day, the lower end phone has wireless N and the higher end phone doesn't.
    04-26-10 08:41 AM
    Really? You guys are complaining about not having n? Is n necessary on a phone? lets take 802.11g for example at 54mbps. Lets cut that in half since that number is a marketing full duplex number and say we really have about 24mbps to work with after everything. Lets take 99% of what people will be doing with this phone my guess is browsing the internet. How fast is your cable/DSL coming into your house 10mbps? Even if you had lets say 30mbps coming into your house. Will you notice a web page render faster? NO.

How many of you are really going to download local LAN content and need 150mbps of throughput? My guess is close to 0%. Its not a file server. Its not like your going to be using it to store gigs and gigs of files.

No need for 802.11n at this point in a phone. I would rather have the g chip-set and save more battery life.
    I have a 50 Mbps FiOS connection in my home.

The same argument was made when wireless G came out. No one thought we would need that speed and now we can't live without it.
    04-26-10 08:44 AM
    I actually agree with Eric. It is odd that the lesser phone has updated features. However, you must remember that this phone was supposed to come out months ago. The pearl had no expectations-- so as they added minor details to the "bold" they had time to really manufacture the pearl. This phone is coming out May 26th for sprint. The EVO will be out in June, that's a toughie! (for me anyway.)
    04-26-10 08:49 AM
    I have a 50 Mbps FiOS connection in my home.

The same argument was made when wireless G came out. No one thought we would need that speed and now we can't live without it.

Haha what are you downloading? You would probably be fine with 802.11b. Most web servers arent going to allow you to pull content off them at 50Mbps. I also have FIOS and the only time i hit any speeds remotely close to that is through torrents since there coming from multiple sources.

Lets also take a closer look at what was release for the pearl. If you look at the spec its a 2.4Ghz 802.11n chip set. Good luck finding an organization that is going to deploy 802.11n on the 2.4Ghz spectrum. With channel bonding that will give them 1 usable channel. 1 usable channel is a RF and roaming nightmare.

For a phone we replace every 1-2 years I would much rather have the battery life as for right now.
    04-26-10 08:52 AM
    Haha what are you downloading? You would probably be fine with 802.11b. Most web servers arent going to allow you to pull content off them at 50Mbps. I also have FIOS and the only time i hit any speeds remotely close to that is through torrents since there coming from multiple sources.

Lets also take a closer look at what was release for the pearl. If you look at the spec its a 2.4Ghz 802.11n chip set. Good luck finding an organization that is going to deploy 802.11n on the 2.4Ghz spectrum. With channel bonding that will give them 1 usable channel. 1 usable channel is a RF and roaming nightmare.

For a phone we replace every 1-2 years I would much rather have the battery life as for right now.
    All wirelessN routers currently for sale can run wirelessN on 2.4Ghz. Yes, there are dual-band routers that support 5 Ghz, but they all have 2.4 Ghz.
    Last edited by Eric The Duke; 04-26-10 at 09:04 AM.
    04-26-10 09:01 AM
    I respect blackberry and was really looking forward to owning one.. but after assessing where they currently stand and my needs.. I feel disappointed and have moved to another smartphone.

Since January I had been surfing this website.. I eventually registered and had been looking forward to the new Tour2/Bold being released. The release date kept changing and changing. I had never owned a smartphone before and was eager to see what all the Blackberry hype is about. My gf has the Storm 1 and she hates it.. but I understood it was a new phone and was still intrigued by owning a Blackberry.

A month or so ago I went into the Verizon store and played with just the Curve and Tour 1.. I was easily impressed since I had never owned a smartphone.

From surfing this website so much and anticipation of the relase of the Bold on Verizon, I noticed people kept talking about two phones: HTC Incredible and HTC Evo. I got curious and started to look up information and visit various Android based forums. I eventually went into the Verizon store and played with a Motorola Droid. It was pretty amazing. It made the BB technology look so outdated.

Once official specs/reviews of the Incredible were released, I was sold. I immediately pre-ordered mine. I am now glad I did this because I should have the phone in about 2 days and it does everything BBs do and more. Only thing BB seems good at is push email and BBM. My needs are email, web surfing, multimedia, chatting. Seems Android is the better fit for me.

The OS blackberries hasnt changed too much in the past years from what I have researched. It reminds me of Windows 95 or Windows 98. Maybe down the road when RIM can design a phone/OS with better features and better reliability (gf has to do battery pulls on her Storm daily).. then I might give BB a try if they still exist (they probably will because Govt uses them).

Maybe the Storm 3 will be the next 'great blackberry'..
    04-26-10 09:11 AM
    Don't worry - RIM will release the Bold 9690 in February with wireless-N and slightly higher RAM, and people on this forum who just bought their 9650 barely 9 months prior will jump at the chance to plop down hundreds of dollars for it.
    i do not know what wireless n is nor do i care my phone works just fine without it but i agree some of the people on here are crazy
    04-26-10 09:14 AM
    You are right.... HTC Incredible looks...Incredible next to the new top of the line Blackberrys
    04-26-10 09:16 AM
    All wirelessN routers currently for sale can run wirelessN on 2.4Ghz. Yes, there are dual-band routers that support 5 Ghz, but they all have 2.4 Ghz.

Yes HOME router/access point/switch devices do. But again at home what will you be downloading? Whats the most bandwidth intensive thing you will be doing? Right now I stream music, video, download apps, e-mail just fine over the 3G Verizon network.

The Wifi chip in the phone is nice to have for things such as Blackberry MVS service, UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access), using the wifi for placing calls to other countries. Using Data and Voice together. Using the phone for WebeEx meetings while looking at what the presenter is doing.

Yes 802.11n is the new buzz word out. If I was buying a new PC you better believe it would be the 802.11n chipset but I use my PC completely differently than my blackberry.
    04-26-10 09:41 AM
    Man... I don't get it.

Yes, it's possible that there may be better phones out there than whatever particular BB device a person is using, but isn't the whole point of this forum for people who actually are using, for better or worse, BB devices, and are trying to find ways to make it as enjoyable experience as possible?

If you like the I-Phone, Android, HTC or whatever better, that's great - enjoy your phone.

Why not check out the CrackIPhone / CrackAndroid or CrackWhatever forums?!?

I just don't feel the need to read on Crackberry about every person who likes some other phone better. if I cared about non-BB devices, I wouldn't be here.
    04-26-10 09:44 AM
    Complaining because a phone doesn't have wireless-N? Really?? Heck, most laptops out there only have G. There is absolutely no need for a phone to have N capabilities. It's not like you will be running uTorrent on the phone to download movies.
    04-26-10 10:23 AM

That is a horrible argument. First off, N provides significant range advantages and at the same range increased power efficiency. It's not just about the speed.

Your argument is parallel to the people who tell me I am stupid for wanting a new processor. It isn't just about the new processor's speed it is also about its high efficiency. A SnapDragon processor could be downloaded to 400Mhz and still be faster than what is in the Storm, Tour, and Bold. How much power do you think it uses at 400Mhz? Yeah... a lot less than the crappy MSM7600.
    04-26-10 10:24 AM
    That is a horrible argument. First off, N provides significant range advantages and at the same range increased power efficiency. It's not just about the speed.

Your argument is parallel to the people who tell me I am stupid for wanting a new processor. It isn't just about the new processor's speed it is also about its high efficiency. A SnapDragon processor could be downloaded to 400Mhz and still be faster than what is in the Storm, Tour, and Bold. How much power do you think it uses at 400Mhz? Yeah... a lot less than the crappy MSM7600.
    Yes because im sure there will be antenna diversity in the chip set there using. You can do beam forming to 802.11g chips. And 802.11n chips DO take more power to run.
    04-26-10 10:44 AM
    Complaining because a phone doesn't have wireless-N? Really?? Heck, most laptops out there only have G. There is absolutely no need for a phone to have N capabilities. It's not like you will be running uTorrent on the phone to download movies.
    I guess you missed the part about the Pearl 3g having wireless-N.
    04-26-10 10:46 AM
    Agreed, you can't always get what you want...

Well, I can only speak for myself if I decide to get an Evo, I would still come here just to see what else BlackBerry has going on cause I wouldn't be opposed to switching. I do agree with you though that I would not come here just to be rude and what not, just to have some intellectual conversation.
    You just made my day.

Now, when I find myself spending time on Crackberry forums instead of working, I can tell my boss / wife / whoever, that I am in the middle of an "intellectual conversation" and I am not to be disturbed.
    04-26-10 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD