hi everyone,
    So here is my issue, wondering if anyone has a similar problem and can help...

I love the storm 2, couldn't wait for my upgrade from the storm 1, they are like night and day. My favorite part of the S2 is the 100+MB of app memory, it truly allows the phone to actually fubction like it is supposed to.

My biggest gripe with the S1 was the horrible amount of memory and its HUGE memory leaks...I thought the S2 was soild with no leaks, but unfortunely it has started.

MeterBerry is by far the best app to watch for leaks, and my Crackberry OCD app memory watching has begun (i just got the phone on Tuesday).

So, I believe out of the box (preinstalled was .607 on arrival) was 120.0 MB, after I loaded a bunch of apps and 1 theme I started to monitor my memory.

Lets take last night and today for example....did a soft restart last night at 9:30pm..had 108.4, thru the night (i charge the phone all night from 11-7) the memory went from 108.5-108.3.

When I woke up, started using the phone slowly dropped, 108.4-107.9 at 5:30pm.....now by no means did i think this was a memory leak problem 0.5 is nothing.

Then, I changed themes from BB pro V4 by nametz (the one I am using now) back to the orignal really quick, and then back to the BB pro V4 theme. I checked my memory and it was at 100.3. I gave it another hour without using my phone an my memory was at 99.5. Obviously there is a problem with memory leak, everyone agree?

At this point I soft reset using MeterBerry at 7:00pm-- mem at 107.7, as i type this 1 hour later I am steady at 107.7, I assume it will keep dropping considering I was at 108.4 last night and after my reset today I'm at 107.7.

The only theme I have on my phone (and currently running) is the: BB Pro v4 Blue by natemz.

Apps I have installed: BerryWeather, ESPN, MeterBerry, NFL Mobile, Opera Mini, Pattern Lock, DirecTV Scheduler, ScoreMobile, Show Me The Images, Sports Illustrated, Facebook, BBM.

Any ideas...Do I just keep doing soft resets once a day? Are a lot of S2 users doing a lot of soft resets?

I thought thiis phone was going to be solid with stable app memory, but I guess I'm wrong.

And please, don't start with the "User Issue" vs "Phone Issue", because I am a tech junkie and know how to use my phone (close apps, batt pull after installs, etc..) lol, just saying...
    04-25-10 07:28 PM
    you cant switch themes without a reboot. memory will leak when you do this generally because some aspects of the old theme remain and wont reset to the new theme until you do the restart. always reboot after switching a theme.
    04-25-10 07:46 PM
    batt pull...or soft reset, I assume batt pull?
    04-25-10 07:47 PM
    04-25-10 08:03 PM
    I have the worst problems with themes.. I have several apps and games and have had no memory leak at all with .607. I'm afraid to try a theme because I've had problems with most of them with all other os's.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-10 09:30 PM
    I've not had any memory leaks with my current S2. I had one once, with my previous one S2 (it dropped from 116 down to 84 one day, and got pretty wonky). I don't run themes, either, fwiw.
    04-25-10 10:20 PM
    I run themes and try whatever i want this phone is solid if you do something wrong you can just start over.
    04-25-10 10:41 PM
    After installing a few apps one day my phone dropped 15mb. First time in 4 months it has done this, and I've had 607/612 hybrid on it since it came out. Rebooted with meterberry and since then I sit steady at .1 or so drop here and there, but nothing that drastic again.

I run around 88mbs with all of my apps installed and have no problems with my s2. Lags for 2 or 3 seconds here and there but to me that's acceptable...even though some people freak about a .5 second delay when they try something lol...

Not saying you do though lol...just thinking out loud...
    04-25-10 10:49 PM
    The themes I've used have never presented a problem. My memory typically hovers within .5 - .7 MB consistently. Your theme may be giving you a problem or the fact that you did not do a battery pull after switching (at least, you didn't say if you did or not). I've been primarily running the AppleBerry 2.0 theme...consistant, clean, reliable.
    04-25-10 10:50 PM
    After about 4 days of my device being powered up it starts to drop. Im running the stock theme and not really many apps, however since its after about 4 days it doesnt really bother me. If i see it dropping in meterberry i just do a reset and am good for the next week or so.
    04-25-10 10:53 PM
    I've had my S2 for months, and while I've had some memory drops here and there I've never really considered it a problem since it wasn't more than a couple megs and didn't happen all that much. I've used a few different themes, some free, some premium. Last Monday or Tuesday I installed Natemz's BB Pro v5, and since then I've had drops of over 10 megs at least once a day.
    I'm running Sasktel .517, and while I know the OP posted about .607, I'm wondering if it's not the OS but actually the theme. I have a friend at work with a Sprint 9630 with their latest official and he was having issues as well, and also had installed BB Pro v5.
    To the OP: I'm curious, if you were to delete (if you haven't) any or all the themes on your S2, would you get an error that one may not have properly uninstalled? I and my friend both ran into that this week.
    And for anyone that points out the OP is/was using v4 on .607, I know. I can read.
    04-26-10 04:46 AM
    I've had my S2 for months, and while I've had some memory drops here and there I've never really considered it a problem since it wasn't more than a couple megs and didn't happen all that much. I've used a few different themes, some free, some premium. Last Monday or Tuesday I installed Natemz's BB Pro v5, and since then I've had drops of over 10 megs at least once a day.
    I'm running Sasktel .517, and while I know the OP posted about .607, I'm wondering if it's not the OS but actually the theme. I have a friend at work with a Sprint 9630 with their latest official and he was having issues as well, and also had installed BB Pro v5.
    To the OP: I'm curious, if you were to delete (if you haven't) any or all the themes on your S2, would you get an error that one may not have properly uninstalled? I and my friend both ran into that this week.
    And for anyone that points out the OP is/was using v4 on .607, I know. I can read.
    Didn't you just answer your own question?
    04-26-10 05:56 AM
    Didn't you just answer your own question?
    My question is if OTHER people, and not just the OP, are having the same result as me. Not knocking on Natemz's skills (BBampd rocks), just curious if there's something about the BBPro series that's messing with devices.
    And no, I'm not running it now. I have a nuked device somehow after wiping to get it off my S2.
    Last edited by genomos; 04-26-10 at 06:06 AM. Reason: add
    04-26-10 06:03 AM
    well...just an update.. last night after my pull (9:30pm) I had 107.7mb, as of right now (8:30am) 107.5mb, I don't think anyone would consider this a leak, but I will give updates on my drop/steadniess.

genomos..I hear BBpro v5 has a leak on .607, I'm sticking with v4, at least till I see if this is where my leak is...

But as of right now, my memory is steady...I will report back at end of the day...
    04-26-10 07:26 AM
    I have had my S2 for about 3 weeks and have went through about 20+ different themes and with all the apps running in my sig I have yet to experience any sort of memory leak.......
    04-26-10 11:22 AM
    v5 does not have a leak, its been running fine on my storm 2 with 607
    04-26-10 03:53 PM
    thanks howarmat, i will try v5 soon..

So here's my update, right now at 6:15pm I am at 106.7MB,

Since my last batt pull last night at 7:00pm where i had 107.7 (just about 24hrs ago) I have lost 1.0MB of memory...

So would you consider this a leak, or just memory OCD? It looks like it keeps dropping slowly, should I keep letting it go and see if it levels out at all?
    04-26-10 05:21 PM
    also, what's everyones S2 memory running at? How many MB steady?
    04-26-10 05:21 PM
    thats not a leak...i told you in the first post what happened.
    04-26-10 05:27 PM
    I am holding steady @ 130.2... I am also running the .517/623 hybrid though. When I was in .607 I never had anything as far as a memory leak. Just had app compatibility issues....

04-26-10 05:27 PM
    thats not a leak...i told you in the first post what happened.
    you told me it leaks when you switch themes without a reboot....i already rebooted after I switched themes and still lost 1MB in 24 hrs...
    04-26-10 05:36 PM
    also, what's everyones S2 memory running at? How many MB steady?
    ~121.4mb if it holds and doesn't drop.
    I have MeterBerry set to recover memory every hour when idle, but something seems to be preventing that idle. When it starts dropping it'll go down 9,10, 11mb if I don't pull the battery or restart. Also noticing that my usage average goes way up at the same time, 5% - 11% drain. This is my first day with OOAKDPC's .643, so I can't say yay or nay for a little while yet. What I was experiencing was all on Sasktel .517 - i tried base .607 before and after it went official but didn't quite care for it, so went back to .517 until last night.

04-26-10 05:51 PM
    ~121.4mb if it holds and doesn't drop.
    I have MeterBerry set to recover memory every hour when idle, but something seems to be preventing that idle. When it starts dropping it'll go down 9,10, 11mb if I don't pull the battery or restart. Also noticing that my usage average goes way up at the same time, 5% - 11% drain. This is my first day with OOAKDPC's .643, so I can't say yay or nay for a little while yet. What I was experiencing was all on Sasktel .517 - i tried base .607 before and after it went official but didn't quite care for it, so went back to .517 until last night.

do you have any apps, like BerryWeather set to refresh every "set" amount of minutes...that can be the cause of the non-idle issue
    04-26-10 05:54 PM
    do you have any apps, like BerryWeather set to refresh every "set" amount of minutes...that can be the cause of the non-idle issue
    I've had BerryWeather since my old S2, it's never given me issues or cause for alarm. I'll keep an eye on logs now though.

04-26-10 06:29 PM
    Okay. I'm down to 105.8mb. That's a loss of 2.0mb in a day and a half.

Wtf. Why can't there be a stable phone that can handle things....

There's def a slow leak...now I have to do soft resets every 2 days. What a pain in the....

04-27-10 07:33 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD