Warning: The following procedures will delete either all data, or all data and applications on the device. Back up the data prior to wiping your device.

You have the choice of erasing either all the data, or all the data and applications on your BlackBerry device.

To erase all the data, choose one of the following methods:

1. Select the Wipe Handheld option.
    2. Type an incorrect password ten times.
    3. Use Application Loader to erase all data.
    4. Use Backup and Restore to clear the device databases.

To erase all the data and applications, type an incorrect password ten times in Application Loader.

Select the Wipe Handheld Option

To erase all the data on your BlackBerry device, complete the following steps. This option is available with BlackBerry Device Software 3.8 and later.

1. In the device Options, click Security. If you are using BlackBerry Device Software 4.1, click Security Options > General Security.
    2. Click the trackwheel and select Wipe Handheld.
    3. Click Continue.
    4. Type blackberry. All the data on the BlackBerry device is erased.

Type an Incorrect Password

To erase all the data on your BlackBerry device, type an incorrect password ten times. You may be prompted to type blackberry a few times during the process. Once completed, all data on the device is erased.
    If you do not have a password on your device, you can create one.

1. In the device Options, click Security. If you are using BlackBerry Device Software 4.1, click Security Options > General Security.
    2. Beside Password, change the option to Enabled.
    3. Type the password that you want, and confirm the password.
    4. Reset the device. Once it has restarted, you will be prompted for a password.

Use Application Loader to Erase All Data

To erase all data on your BlackBerry device, complete the following steps:

1. Connect your device to the computer running BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    2. In Desktop Manager, double-click the Application Loader icon.
    3. In the Application Loader Wizard window, click Next.
    4. On the Device Security Password screen, type your BlackBerry device security password, then click Next.
    5. On the Device Application Selection screen, click Next.
    6. On the Completing the Application Loader Wizard screen, click Advanced. The Device Data Preservation screen is displayed.
    7. To erase all application data on the BlackBerry device, select the Erase all application data check box, then click Next.
    8. Select the option beside Do not automatically back up and restore the device application data during the loading process, then click Next.
    9. Click Finish. The BlackBerry device resets. This might take several minutes.

Use Backup and Restore to Clear the Databases

To clear the databases on your BlackBerry device, do the following:

1. Connect your device to the computer running Desktop Manager.
    2. In Desktop Manager, double-click the Backup and Restore icon, then click Advanced.
    3. Press and hold the Shift key while selecting all the databases in the Handheld Databases list box.
    4. Click Clear.
    5. Click OK on the Warning window. All databases on the BlackBerry device are erased.
    6. Click Close until the Desktop Manager is displayed.

Type an Incorrect Password in Application Loader

To erase all the data and applications on your BlackBerry device, do the following:

1. Connect your device to the computer running Desktop Manager.
    2. In Desktop Manager, double-click the Application Loader icon.
    3. In the Application Loader Wizard window, click Next.
    4. On the Device Security Password screen, type an incorrect password and click Next. Perform this step ten times.
    5. Click Close.Without software the device is unresponsive. It displays device error 507. To re-install the device software, open the Application Loader and select the software and applications you want to install.
    09-06-07 06:23 PM
    Thanks for the info, but what is the interest of doing that ?
    09-07-07 07:45 AM
    Thanks for the info, but what is the interest of doing that ?
    1. You are selling or otherwise disposing of the device, and you need to remove all personal and/or proprietary data from it.

2. You are experiencing unstable operation or other performance issues on the device, or have decided to upgrade the OS, and wish to completely wipe it so you can perform a pristine clean OS install.

3. For fun, because you are just that geeky.
    09-07-07 09:36 AM
    rrrebo, could recognize myself in your third option.

Very funny!
    09-07-07 11:54 AM
    rrrebo, could recognize myself in your third option.

Very funny!
    I resemble that remark.
    09-07-07 03:02 PM
    when you erase all data & applications can you choose what applications get put back on the device when you put them back on?? or no?
    10-11-07 12:38 PM
    You have the choice of erasing either all the data, or all the data and applications on your BlackBerry device.

IS THERE a way to erase just one applications
    10-30-07 04:47 PM
    if you want to erase just one application go to settings, aplications, wait for all of your applications to load then highlight the app you wish to delete, hit the menu key, stroll down to delete and the rest is history as they say. Good luck
    11-08-07 04:55 PM
    Excellent post!
    This is very handy info!
    11-10-07 10:48 AM
    I am planning on giving my old one to a friend. I have done the password wipe, and it went back to the origianal stuff. It has the emails that a new phone comes with, the welcome, registration, all that. Is all my info off. I am more worried about the bills being traced back to my Verizon acount. I have had two phones activated since this one. All my info is off right?
    11-12-07 07:51 PM
    The funny thing is i have just purchased 2 Curve 8320's and the 1st one i had less the 6hrs and i had already transferred my contacts & other information. Then i was navigating through the blackberry features and came across the password security; so well i set in which in result i must of typed it wrong cuz no matter what i did i wouldnt unlock it which resulted in everything being deleted. it sucked being i hadnt had the opportunity to back up the files yet. so woooopppss!!
    11-17-07 03:20 PM
    I have an old blackberry 62?? tied to rogers and a BES. The policy installed will not allow me to remove the password as well as some other stuff. Is there a way to get rid of the IT policy? I have blanked everything and reloded the OS but it is still there.
    12-27-07 09:23 PM
    Great Info, i wuz wondering wat happened when you anwered you pass incorectly 10 times!
    12-27-07 11:20 PM
    Hello! Lost my Curve yesterday, with lots of information on it. Is there a way to send a kill message or to delete personal information using the pin or imea number? Thanks.
    12-31-07 09:16 PM
    unfortunately, that can only be done if you're on BES
    01-07-08 10:30 PM
    Somehow I erased the BBViewer off my Curve - how do I get it back??? I cannot view ANY photos sent to me in email at all...
    01-30-08 01:38 PM
    Nice post dude and really informative, do u know how to restore company settings in BB 8300 ????
    01-31-08 06:59 AM
    To erase all the data on your BlackBerry device, complete the following steps. This option is available with BlackBerry Device Software 3.8 and later.

2. Click the trackwheel and select Wipe Handheld.
    3. Click Continue.
    4. Type blackberry. All the data on the BlackBerry device is erased.
    so if you had put in a password would that be erased as well?

will you just have to start up fresh?
    02-28-08 11:50 AM
    Quick question about the password way, if you type your password 10 times, does that have to be all at one time or is that over time?? Or does it ever reset back to zero??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-08 10:45 PM
    this helped greatly tonight..thank you much!
    03-05-08 09:02 PM
    djzidek...if you enter the password incorrectly and then correctly, the count starts over at 0 the next time you enter it incorrectly again.
    03-05-08 09:04 PM
    can some help me delete my address book on a 6710?
    04-04-08 06:38 PM
    i'm a mac user, and i'm having trouble with my ical, between syncing...

multiple duplicate appointments appear on my device... is there a way to wipe only the calender clean?

even if i try to delete items on my handheld by hand, they won't seem to delete as they have been added from my comp

help please
    04-21-08 01:46 AM
    How do you get to settings on the Curve 8330?
    05-16-08 05:01 PM
    I tried this today and it worked great!
    After uninstalling and reinstalling apps, etc...I thought a wipe would do wonders and then fresh install of my 3rd party apps.
    Thanks for the info.

I like the safeguards, it makes sure you don't 'accidentally' wipe your BB.
    05-29-08 09:53 PM
94 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD