Hey guys, how come there isn't much marketing surrounding these devices? I mean the only commercial that you see is of the Droid but most other Android phones barely get a slot. I mean we all know how the N1 went with online sales only and the only marketing was banner ads on websites. It just seem like there isn't enough out there.

It's like the only way people find out about these phones is if you come here, follow BGR, Engadget or Gizmodo. Other than that you have to stumble upon it when you go to your carrier's store and have then show it to you. Most people who don't really care about gadgets don't even realized Android is a movement and a brand new platform. I have a couple friends that have Android based phones, but they really don't know what they have. They got it because it looked nice not because the OS is great and they knew what Android was.

It is just me or is ther really not enough exposure in terms of marketing for Android devices?
    04-21-10 04:26 PM
    Word of mouth is the best advertising really. Just look at all the money apple throws at advertising and android is gaining fast with little to no marketing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-10 05:17 PM
    Word of mouth is the best advertising really. Just look at all the money apple throws at advertising and android is gaining fast with little to no marketing.

That's exactly my point. How much more would they gain market share if they marketed more. For instance the Droid sold like crazy because there was a big marketing campaign behind it but the Nexus was which was supposed to be google's super phone had very little advertising and weak sales. At some point the market share starts to level out and you have to do more things to push your products to continue to gain and I just don't think there's enough advertising by the carriers or google. Haven't seen any commercials by google.

Like I said I know people with android based phones and they don't even know what Android is and who makes it. They wouldn't even know it was a google phone if somewhere it didn't say "powered by google". I just want them to push these devices more. Both the carriers and google.
    04-21-10 08:50 PM
    The Nexus One could have been a WAY more popular device but Google did the stupid thing by selling it online only.

I'm sure if it was marketed like the Droid, it would have sold more. I guess Google only wanted to use the Nexus One as their beta testing phone for now.
    04-21-10 08:56 PM
    keep in mind it has only been a few months since the android 2.1 phones started rolling out. as of today there are only two android 'super phones' you can buy in the US market, the droid and the nexus. the incredible is next. in a few months time i think we'll see more carriers starting to push the android os. they also probably wanted to see how well the initial crop would be received.
    04-21-10 09:41 PM
    I have a feeling that VZW will market the snot out of the Incredible. I've seen huge billboards in all the major cities since they released the motorola Droid. I imagine they'll do the same or more for the Incredible.

That should help give Android some good name recognition.

04-21-10 09:48 PM
    I have a feeling that VZW will market the snot out of the Incredible. I've seen huge billboards in all the major cities since they released the motorola Droid. I imagine they'll do the same or more for the Incredible.

That should help give Android some good name recognition.

Yeah they flooded the airways with Droid stuff. But even before the Droid came out they had "Coming soon" commercials and billboards. I just don't see that kind of marketing for other Android devices. Not sure what the reason is for that. I just think even with the success it is having, Android would be growing even faster with more marketing out there. Besides hanging out on tech sites most people wouldn't even know a device is coming or is already out.
    04-22-10 09:30 AM
    The Nexus One could have been a WAY more popular device but Google did the stupid thing by selling it online only.

I'm sure if it was marketed like the Droid, it would have sold more. I guess Google only wanted to use the Nexus One as their beta testing phone for now.
    Yeah it's like Google was trying to test a different sales model with the Nexus. But that stuff doesn't fly in the US like in other countries. This is why Sony and Nokia struggled to get a lot of sales of their high-end device with online only sales. I'm quite confident a lot of the people that have some Nokia phones would not have it if it weren't available through their carrier. If the Nexus hits VZW (instead of one that can be used on VZW) it will sell a lot. But I just hope they push the device like the Droid. Otherwise "regular" people don't care and will buy it by accident.
    04-22-10 09:34 AM
    vzw won't push other android devices like they did the moto droid. i think their initial marketing approach was to solidify the "droid" brand and the "droid does" moniker and then branch off from there. that way when they have a new droid phones coming out all they have to do is piggy back off of the established droid and droid does marketing campaign.

we'll probably see some marketing for new droid phones, but nothing like the initial push.

also makes me wonder how they'll approach the nexus and if it will be marketed as a 'droid' phone.
    04-22-10 09:52 AM
    The Incredible is part of Verizon's "Droid" lineup.

The Droid was their first Android device so they pushed the **** out of it. The Eris didn't get pushed much and I think the Incredible will be pushed far less like the Eris was. I don't see it selling as well as the Droid. I haven't even heard of the Incredible anywhere besides the Internet.
    04-22-10 01:49 PM
    Ya, it doesn't make much sense for VZW to push Android overall, since other carriers have Android. But they can push the **** out of their hot, new exclusive phones, Like Droid and Incredible.

And VZW has always been more about their network than their phones, but that's starting to change now that they don't have **** selection for phones anymore.

Competition is good.
    04-22-10 04:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD