I have tried a lot of themes out recently (10 +) and delete all of them except the one i am using and my application memory has dropped significantly. One still shows up under themes even though I deleted it. How do I delete them and get the memory back? Do I have to use BBSAK? Every time I use that that i never get all my 3rd party apps back right. Thanks!
    04-21-10 10:59 AM
    Before all else try a battery pull. In my hands that most often cures the gremlin you report.

If not come back with more information about your OS and apps installed. Folks will be able to help.
    04-21-10 11:31 AM
    How did you delete the themes and a theme only uses app. memory if you are using it.
    04-21-10 12:22 PM
    I have tried a lot of themes out recently (10 +) and delete all of them except the one i am using and my application memory has dropped significantly. One still shows up under themes even though I deleted it. How do I delete them and get the memory back? Do I have to use BBSAK? Every time I use that that i never get all my 3rd party apps back right. Thanks!
    I noticed a year or so ago that if you try out a fair number of themes and apps, then delete them, your post restart memory drops a fair amount -- and that it is impossible to get that memory back until installing a newer OS (or doing a wipe and reinstalling the current one).

I believe that's why you'll often see people say, Hey, I got x more MB of memory with this new OS!

You are on .509, so I would suggest upgrading to .592 or .610 (skip .554 b/c of the app switcher bug). I'll bet you get a fair amount of memory back.
    04-21-10 12:41 PM
    I noticed a year or so ago that if you try out a fair number of themes and apps, then delete them, your post restart memory drops a fair amount -- and that it is impossible to get that memory back until installing a newer OS (or doing a wipe and reinstalling the current one).
    I've never noticed that, and I've installed quite a few themes and apps. Any time I've deleted them and rebooted I got the extra memory back no problem.

I believe that's why you'll often see people say, Hey, I got x more MB of memory with this new OS!
    That has to do with the OS itself. The builds vary in size. When I (and plenty others here) installed .592 the initial available memory was significantly lower than on the previous build(s).
    04-21-10 02:42 PM
    the application memory on the bold 9000 is extremely poor. i have had the iphone and by comparison its ridiculus that app space is limited to 128mb when i have 1gb internal and 1gb external. i have only 6 apps (from app world) and still i only have 7mb free?! only other apps are gtalk, fbook, gmaps and gmail. only have one additional theme.. why cant i increase my app memory?
    04-22-10 07:28 PM
    the application memory on the bold 9000 is extremely poor. i have had the iphone and by comparison its ridiculus that app space is limited to 128mb when i have 1gb internal and 1gb external. i have only 6 apps (from app world) and still i only have 7mb free?! only other apps are gtalk, fbook, gmaps and gmail. only have one additional theme.. why cant i increase my app memory?
    Depending on which OS you have installed you should have somewhere around 30-40 MB free memory after a battery pull. The apps you have installed all run constantly in the background and therefore use memory. Most of the OS 5 builds are horrible with memory management, so depending on the build your memory may just keep dropping and never recover until it reboots. Which OS are you running?
    04-23-10 09:55 AM
    I've never noticed that, and I've installed quite a few themes and apps. Any time I've deleted them and rebooted I got the extra memory back no problem.

That has to do with the OS itself. The builds vary in size. When I (and plenty others here) installed .592 the initial available memory was significantly lower than on the previous build(s).
    Well, YMMV and all, but my post restart memory declined after installing and deleting a number of apps and themes, that is, I never got all of the memory those things had used back -- just most of it.

The leaked version of .592 was an All Language OS and took up about 5MB more memory. The "official" Azercell release was Multilanguage and did not.

I virtually always gain a couple of MB of post restart memory when I install a new OS, assuming I've been running the older OS for a while, because of that decline in post-restart memory. Of course, that figure is dependent upon how many messages (with attachments in particular) one is keeping on the phone, but I always have some decline in post-restart memory.

In fact, I noted my post-restart memory on .610 had declined 1.2 MB (to 40.2 from 41.4) when I rebooted this morning. For the he11 of it, I unloaded all Third Party and Add-on apps and rebooted to see where my memory was (47.7 for the record), then I loaded them back on. After another reboot, I was at 43.2 -- a gain of 3 MB from the initial reboot and a gain of almost 2 MB from where I was originally on .610.

I've gotten to the point where I'm very tired of dealing with memory and watching the number of apps I can put on my phone. I will definitely be taking advantage of my upgrade eligibility in a couple of months. 128 MB just isn't enough. There was a guy on the 9700 forum with a "big" memory problem because with all of his apps, his memory had dropped to 70 MB . . . if only.
    04-23-10 12:51 PM
    Exact reason why I dumped the Bold- great piece of hardware, hideous memory support. I would have only 50MB after a fresh OS wipe. I would go down to 20MB left after installing a handful of apps, and at the end of the day with memory drains I would be under 5-10MB....RIM needs to definately step up their memory support with upcoming phones
    04-24-10 05:51 AM
    But to the OP, I believe that once you have more than 4-5 themes installed on your phone, you will start to encounter memory leaks and so forth....so if/when you do decide to wipe the OS, I would suggest going with no more than 5......
    04-24-10 05:52 AM
    Or just pick the one you like the best and ditch everything else.
    04-26-10 11:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD