So with all the amazing confirmation news of the phone being available May 1st for VZW customers, I got a little nervous today when I saw the OS 6.0 announcement. 6.0 looks freaking amazing but I'm put off by a few things; how will the new amazing browser work on a non touch screen phone and will the Tour2/Bold be able to even upgrade to 6.0?
    04-20-10 08:23 PM
    yes, the Bold 9650 will more then likely run the 6.0 on a later date when its out. Its for touchscreen phones and trackpad phones. From my understanding so far, 6.0 will NOT work with trackball phones, so the Tour is out.
    04-20-10 08:25 PM
    Personally i think it would be absurd that RIM would release a device one month, then one month later make it obsolete with a new version of OS.. so i think its a fiar assumption that it (9650) will support 6.0
    04-21-10 06:20 AM
    One of the reasons for the delay of the Bold was supposedly to tweak a few things to make it upgradeable to OS 6.0 in the future
    04-21-10 11:52 AM
    i dont think os6.0 will run on the 9650
    04-21-10 12:22 PM
    y notttt????????? why would thy release a phone in may and make a statement that OS 6 will be available 2H of 2010 and not make it available on 9650... how could RIM be taht mean... release a phone and make the OS out dated 3-4 months later.. no fair
    04-21-10 12:31 PM
    This is the model that I have been thinking of getting as my new phone to.If it can't update to OS 6 tho I might just hold off on buying this phone ,lol
    04-21-10 01:18 PM
    OS 6.0 obviously won't be available for the 9650 out of the gate, but the 9650 is supposed to be able to run on it when it is available. That was the supposed reason the units got pulled back from the VZW stores in February to make the hardware mods necessary to run 6.0.
    04-21-10 01:26 PM
    Not sure if the Bold 9650's processor (most likely 528mhz) could handle OS 6.0...but time will tell.
    04-21-10 01:29 PM
    Not sure if the Bold 9650's processor (most likely 528mhz) could handle OS 6.0...but time will tell.
    Take it or leave it, but this was posted on March 30 on Twitter by plethora9:
    9650 Bold update: Part of reason for the changes is to support an OS 6.0 release later in the year. Also it will come in White later.
    04-21-10 01:58 PM
    Take it or leave it, but this was posted on March 30 on Twitter by plethora9:
    great find
    04-21-10 02:01 PM
    should it? yes
    will it? won't know until both 6.0 and the 9650 are available... neither of which are yet

while i would have said no way the 9650 can run 6.0 a few weeks/months ago - based on how the 9630 behaves - the huge delay in the 9650 leads me to think that maybe it indeed will be able to (delay being in part from 6.0 'readiness' for the 9650 - moreso testing than actual hardware changes - those have been locked in a while ago)... just a guess on my part... frankly, i only care because i'm a geek... i don't use cdma devices, so deep down it doesn't affect me, but i do wish my fellow cdma BB'ers to have the same experience us 9700 owners have
    04-21-10 02:36 PM
    great find
    That's old news that was posted here in many threads at that time.
    04-21-10 03:19 PM
    That's old news that was posted here in many threads at that time.
    that is irrelevant.. im sure it was a great find then too.. but the point is a question was asked and the correct information supporting that issue was found and posted so all of us wouldnt have to go huntin around for it... maybe not the best find but certainly convenient
    04-21-10 03:25 PM
    Ahh dayum so my Tour can't get this?
    04-21-10 05:19 PM
    One thing I don't understand is why the 9630 can't run it but everyone is speculating that the 9550 can. Both have a 528 MHz processor and both have 256 MB flash memory.

I can't imagine that OpenGL support and WiFi will make or break a device's ability to run 6.0.

I'm also not convinced that it is for trackpad and touchscreen devices only. That's not even logical. A trackpad and a trackball look the same to an OS; they are pointing devices.

And if a 9630 can run it, then an 8530 should be able to as well.

There has to be more to this than meets the eye.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-10 05:53 PM
    One thing I don't understand is why the 9630 can't run it but everyone is speculating that the 9550 can. Both have a 528 MHz processor and both have 256 MB flash memory.

I can't imagine that OpenGL support and WiFi will make or break a device's ability to run 6.0.

I'm also not convinced that it is for trackpad and touchscreen devices only. That's not even logical. A trackpad and a trackball look the same to an OS; they are pointing devices.

And if a 9630 can run it, then an 8530 should be able to as well.

There has to be more to this than meets the eye.

We don't know what processor or amount of memory this phone will have.
    04-21-10 06:07 PM
    The only logical way that OpenGL support would be the kicker here is if the GUI itself was written to use OpenGL acceleration for transitions, animations, etc, and was required rather than just being optional.

04-21-10 06:08 PM
    We don't know what processor or amount of memory this phone will have.
    I suppose you are right. Speculation is rampant and facts are few.

04-21-10 06:10 PM
    I suppose you are right. Speculation is rampant and facts are few.

And a very credible source(plethora) had said that a reason for the long delay on this phone was to go back and make it OS6.0 compatible...he didn't say anymore about that but it does sounds like internal hardware changes.
    04-21-10 06:14 PM
    And a very credible source(plethora) had said that a reason for the long delay on this phone was to go back and make it OS6.0 compatible...he didn't say anymore about that but it does sounds like internal hardware changes.
    Right, so I know it's off topic since this thread is about the 9650, but that still doesn't address why the 9550 can run it but the 9630 can't.

Or does it? If OS 6 requires an OpenGL GPU (speculation), then that would make perfect sense. That right there could be the unknown hardware change between the leaked 9650's and the final release.

Hmmm.

04-21-10 06:22 PM
    Right, so I know it's off topic since this thread is about the 9650, but that still doesn't address why the 9550 can run it but the 9630 can't.

Or does it? If OS 6 requires an OpenGL GPU (speculation), then that would make perfect sense. That right there could be the unknown hardware change between the leaked 9650's and the final release.

Hmmm.

Here is one answer that could be why the 9630 won't run 6.0:

Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98
    I can't help but remember the RIM boys in the Kevin PodCast interview when they were asked why Mike L. demoed the new browser on the 9700... their "beat around the bush" answer was... "The 9700 was used for a specific reason." I kept complicating that and looking deeper then I should have been. While memory and chipset architecture are just as important to the new OS and browser, the "key" component needed is in fact a touch capable input component (i.e. touchscreen or touchpad). Couple that with the tech beakdown of the new touchpad being able to sense light/dark (remember the writeup about it being able to be used for fingerprint scanning) and it all starts to fit together like a puzzle. In situations like that (the podcast lingo they used) it's almost always the most simple/staring you in the face aspect that they're talking about, but the person guessing the meaning behind it always makes it more complex then it really is. lol
    04-21-10 08:16 PM
    Because one can sense when something is merely touching it even if not clicking or scrolling (because it's an optical sensor) while the other can't (because it's just a rubber ball)...

Just man up and accept that your 9630 won't run 6.0... While the 9650 and 9700 will...

04-21-10 08:27 PM
    Because one can sense when something is merely touching it even if not clicking or scrolling (because it's an optical sensor) while the other can't (because it's just a rubber ball)...

Just man up and accept that your 9630 won't run 6.0... While the 9650 and 9700 will...

Lol @ man up! I wish it was just an ego thing, but unfortunately it's a wallet thing. I purchased the 9630 about 5 months ago. That means paying full retail for the Storm 3 if/when it comes out.

Yikes! I can only imagine the look on my wife's face if I shelled out 6 clams for a phone.

That would NOT be a pleasant moment

04-21-10 08:34 PM
    Huh. Well that sucks. (For me and my 9630)

I've grown to respect civic's input over time. She was more knowledgeable about tech stuff 5 days out of the womb than I'll ever dream of being.

Thanks Snipperdo. I appreciate the info.

No problem! I saw that post earlier today and it made sense. She does seem to know her stuff!
    Last edited by Snipperdo17; 04-21-10 at 09:13 PM.
    04-21-10 09:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD