I understand there is a *newer* 5.0 Os avalible for the Tour, does anyone know if it's still as buggy and horrible as the original about 2 weeks ago?

These are some problems I had with the first 5.0 update:

The stand-by button doesn't work. Usually to save battery life, i'll ALWAYS have my phone in stand-by. Did they get rid of this feature?

Also, there is no sepperate email icon. All emails have to be accessed from the "Messages" app, which includes placed/received calls! and SMS and MMS messages!!!

Why the **** did they get rid of the special Email-only icon?

Why did they get rid of Stand-by mode?

Some other blackberry support forums suggested doing a battery pull, and re-sending service books, none of that worked.

And im positive, that my email icon isn't hidden. It just isn't there anymore.

Have these problems been addressed in the new update?

I don't really want to risk an update again, until I have made sure it will work fine. Im currently using OS 4.7 again.
    04-20-10 10:35 AM
    .591 is still a mess, even with the updated platform that came out yesterday. Reports are saying the Technical Errors are still going on, and the only improvement was a g-mail plugin bug fix or something on that line.

I HIGHLY recommend anyone running .591 to downgrade to a earlier more stable OS. What runs pretty good is the 5.0.484

why Verizon let this OS pass is beyond me and its probably the worse OS to come out on ANY Blackberry
    04-20-10 10:47 AM
    The only problem I have found since I updated to 5.0 several weeks ago is that my app Vlingo Plus (voice recognition auto types email and text messages) works normally in every aspect but sending the message. Which makes it useless. Any advice here for a newbie? Thanks.
    04-21-10 09:14 AM
    I suggest you use .484 or .419

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-10 01:29 PM
    Upgraded to 5.xxx on my VZW Tour and 5 days later my phone bricked. DEAD. Upgraded the new phone (and reloaded all apps) and then downgraded back to 4.7.1 immediately after reading threads like this. All told, I spent prolly 6-8 hours on this... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I can live with 4.7 until they get a reliable 5.0.xx out. Not worth the hassle I had.
    04-21-10 01:38 PM
    +1.........
    04-21-10 01:49 PM
    I'm loading this "patch" as I type this, so I can not intelligently comment on it yet. But, that first .591 that Verizon released....Good God, it was probably the worst OS I've ever put on a BlackBerry device (I was never a Storm 1 owner, so ya don't have to remind me of the misery those device owners had).

I really, really, really thought .419 was a super OS release. If I'm not happy with .591 after 24-36 hours, I'll be going back.
    04-21-10 01:59 PM
    Anyone having a problem while surfing the net that its extremely hard to zoom in or click on an icon?? I mean, sometimes I have to click the ball like 20 times for it to respond. This has started directly after the update. Irritating!!
    04-21-10 02:35 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/wh...-patch-456971/

04-21-10 02:36 PM
    Anyone having a problem while surfing the net that its extremely hard to zoom in or click on an icon?? I mean, sometimes I have to click the ball like 20 times for it to respond. This has started directly after the update. Irritating!!
    i, And many others, have the link click issue on the original VZW 9630/5.0.0.591 (Platform .272). The patch doesn't fix it. Strange that in your case it caused the issue!

04-21-10 02:38 PM
    I can atest that the "patch" has resolved the browser-click problem brought on by the original .591 upgrade. I have been using the BlackBerry Browser ten times as much as I normally would (I've been an Opera user for a while) and I haven't had a single problem all day with the BB Browser.

04-21-10 11:31 PM
    I've got exactly the same problem. Most irritating!
    I am running .591.
    Last edited by onelowvoltage; 04-22-10 at 04:46 AM. Reason: to update
    04-22-10 04:41 AM
    I have another problem to add to the mix. This has occurred on both the unpatched and patched new update.

My most recent text message will not display. i click on the message and it brings up the conversation, but the newest received message is just a blank line, and after i receive another one i can see the previously blank text. i know im getting them because i can see their preview on the main text messaging screen, just non in the conversation screen.

If anyone knows how to resolve this issue, let me know!!!

On a side note, the new patch did fix my browser click issue.
    04-22-10 08:26 AM
    I understand there is a *newer* 5.0 Os avalible for the Tour, does anyone know if it's still as buggy and horrible as the original about 2 weeks ago?

These are some problems I had with the first 5.0 update:

The stand-by button doesn't work. Usually to save battery life, i'll ALWAYS have my phone in stand-by. Did they get rid of this feature?

Also, there is no sepperate email icon. All emails have to be accessed from the "Messages" app, which includes placed/received calls! and SMS and MMS messages!!!

Why the **** did they get rid of the special Email-only icon?

Why did they get rid of Stand-by mode?

Some other blackberry support forums suggested doing a battery pull, and re-sending service books, none of that worked.

And im positive, that my email icon isn't hidden. It just isn't there anymore.

Have these problems been addressed in the new update?

I don't really want to risk an update again, until I have made sure it will work fine. Im currently using OS 4.7 again.
    You should come over the BBHybrids.net where we've recompliled .591 and hybridized it along with many others to where these issues, if they exist, are minimal at best. I recently recompiled .419 and .548 to the point that boot times are roughly about 2 minutes and they have the fastest OS/Browser combination available and everything works and nothing is broken.

I'd stop complaining about the "given" and seek other alternatives.
    04-22-10 08:53 AM
    .591 is still a mess, even with the updated platform that came out yesterday. Reports are saying the Technical Errors are still going on, and the only improvement was a g-mail plugin bug fix or something on that line.

I HIGHLY recommend anyone running .591 to downgrade to a earlier more stable OS. What runs pretty good is the 5.0.484

why Verizon let this OS pass is beyond me and its probably the worse OS to come out on ANY Blackberry
    I agree .591 is buggy. The browser click issue is making me crazy. Is there any bugs in .484?
    04-22-10 10:18 AM
    591 Differences for me so far.

1. Original 591 battery drain was horrid. Reboots killed 20 - 40% of battery life.
    **Patched 591 - Better life, although on reboot, i still lose about 10% but liveable. Usage life is much better as well.

2. Mem Leak on original, was losing 10 - 15megs a day (causing me to pull battery which then lost tons of battery life..grrr
    ***Patch 591 - Normal mem leak..not even a leak, just normal usage. Lost about 1.5 meg yesterday..not bad. (watch what themes you use. they kill batteries and mem)

3. Browser click problem on original...was really bad.
    ** Patch 591- very rare click problem. 99% of the time its good.

4. Others complained of MMS Attached to end of calls, SMS missing last text and standby being gone.

MMS and SMS problems not showing on mine

Standby is gone for good i believe. It's not coming back...you gotta move on. The old lock system is also gone.

591 original and patched versions are very fast. Fastest OS ive used (and ive used a ton)...some minor annoyances now, but overall, worth the speed and lack of lag.

That's just my phone though. Seems these things have their own personalities and lives of their own.

Back up, Back up, Back up and Back up 3rd party apps.
    04-22-10 11:20 AM

Standby is gone for good i believe. It's not coming back...you gotta move on. The old lock system is also gone.
    How do you know this? Surely this is impossible, as EVERY phone on the market has a feature to put the phone in a low power state, to save battery life and to prevent false input (keys being pressed in your pocket).

I find it very hard to belive RIM decided the most simpelest feature should be gotten rid of for no reason. (Not to mention, the simpelest MOST USED feature)

- Jordan
    04-26-10 06:27 AM
    Just got another email this morning at 2:02am stating another update available..Not gonna worry about it as I downgraded to .484 and have not had any issues on it. Just looking to find a decent hybrid to run with it now.
    04-26-10 10:16 AM

3. Browser click problem on original...was really bad.
    ** Patch 591- very rare click problem. 99% of the time its good.
    the first click i made on a website when i upgraded...cursor disappeared. i hit end. i'm assuming from here on out i should not see any clicking problems for at least another 99 clicks.
    04-26-10 11:39 AM
    That's just my phone though. Seems these things have their own personalities and lives of their own.
    kaznaaa, you may have missed this sentence in berryfit's post?

I skipped the original .591 release due to the problems communicated here and a delay on getting the OK from my BES Admin to upgrade. This past weekend I decided to give the new platform update version a shot and so far my experience has been much like berryfit's. Super snappy compared to .471, very responsive and everything is quicker/faster.

I've experienced the browser click problem a couple times (out of many, many clicks), but never had to click more than a second time. No other apparent problems including bluetooth performance. Worked great today in heavy BT usage with my Plantronics Voyager Pro.

Weird that some folks are having major problems and others are nearly problem-free? I'm glad I did the upgrade, as a BES user I'm not sure I have many other options and the performance gains for me are well worth an occasional browser double-click.
    04-26-10 05:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD