I'm posting this HERE cause. 1) 9700 is the flagship phone and. 2) because it's what I use.

Everyone is popping up phones like chickens laying eggs, mind you; most of them are crap ( like Samsung trying to find new and exciting ways to name their junk)
    But that being said-- it's been too long now that rim hasn't launched anything new. And I mean something high end-- a 9700 beater. I heard some high end guys were fired in Canada. Time to kick **** and get their acts together.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-10 06:25 AM
    The 9700 came out late last year, what's the rush? In uk we usually upgrade every 1.5 - 2 years, how would you feel if 6 months after you got your "latest" blackberry another one would come out. Another 6 months and yet another would pop out and so on. In my opinion the 9700 can and will be further improved with future OS versions.

04-20-10 06:45 AM

Maybe you guys need a new toy or a new hobby, but the phones RIM has in the lineup now are fine I say kill the touch screens and concentrate on core values.
    04-20-10 06:45 AM
    What do you mean Bud the 9650 is projected to drop next month and probably will. That's a Blackberry Bold (RIMs high end line). Now as far as something coming out better then the Bold 9700 I think maybe RIM should let their Flagship device shine for a little bit I mean people are still purchasing them and the phone is fairly brand new.
    Also I don't believe it has fully replaced the 9700 in terms of adopters. So it still needs time (but that's just me being biased because I have a 9000 hahahaha)
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 04-20-10 at 06:50 AM.
    04-20-10 06:47 AM
    Everyone is popping up phones like chickens laying eggs, mind you; most of them are crap ( like Samsung trying to find new and exciting ways to name their junk)
    No reason for RIM to join that parade. Their devices are fine for their intended purpose. As the consumer market becomes a larger part of RIM purpose maybe the device numbers and releases will change.
    04-20-10 07:01 AM
    8900 was about about a year and a half ago... Storm after that... Tour... Storm 2... Tour 2/Bold... 9700 Bold/Bold 2... OS 5.0 for a number of older and newer devices... gosh, RIM sounds like they've been sitting on their thumbs for WAY TOO long (***Sarcasm meter turned WAY UP***)... sounds like you are new to Blackberry!!!
    04-20-10 07:05 AM
    OP should look at Android phones... There's a new one every few weeks as of late

04-20-10 07:07 AM
    The Bold 9000 was October / November of 2008, the 9700 was same timeframe in 2009, so I'd expect something new and somewhat better at the end of the year.

RIM has never been about the coolest phones on the planet, they just work.
    04-20-10 07:15 AM
    They already know pretty much exactly what specs and hardware/software are going to be released and with what devices and at what times 2-3 years from now...at least...its all part of a plan...these things have life cycles to get every last dollar from consumers using what they feel is an appropriate balance of technology

04-20-10 07:23 AM
    The Bold is the gonna be the best BB for a while.
    04-20-10 07:23 AM
    I also expect a new BB to launch this year, but I'm happy with my 9700.

04-20-10 07:32 AM
    Well we know the slider is slated for release in the latter part of this year and the 9300 is in the pipe too.

I think it pointless to release products before they are ready and I think RIM learned that with the Storm 1.

RIM has many phones in the marketplace right now and I guess they will release when they are good and ready.
    04-20-10 07:51 AM
    I wonder if we'll see a new Pearl flip.
    04-20-10 07:58 AM
    The impatient side of me agrees with the OP. The grown up side of me says that my 9700 is only five months old and that I should relax and get back to work and listen to the idiotic teleconference....I already know we're installing patches....
    04-20-10 08:00 AM
    I agree with the OP! The 9700 is getting to be old hat and needs to be upgraded!
    04-20-10 08:02 AM
    Imho if u have a 9700 and u want a newer bb - then it's not performance you're after - it's a trophy

04-20-10 08:04 AM
    I agree with the OP! The 9700 is getting to be old hat and needs to be upgraded!
    you, as well as the OP, sounds like would best be served by an android device... shelf life on those is a few months... so you'd be happy... you could buy a new one every 3-4 months...
    04-20-10 09:30 AM
    I just got my bold a little over a month ago so I'm not ready to drop any more money on another phone.

04-20-10 09:44 AM
    Imho if u have a 9700 and u want a newer bb - then it's not performance you're after - it's a trophy

+1 for YuriYoko.

It seems that if one is not happy with the available options, then maybe they should move on to another. How arrogant are the people that post on here to think that RIM is sitting there thinking, "oh my word, Joe Poster over on crackberry wants this and that, we better do it." lol, i read some of the most ridiculous posts on here sometimes. It makes for good entertainment.
    04-20-10 10:10 AM
    imho if u have a 9700 and u want a newer bb - then it's not performance you're after - it's a trophy

posted from my crackberry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    +2

(........ 10)
    04-20-10 10:19 AM
    RIM isn't Apple, and I think that's what you guys want. I'm not saying as in the actual phone but the big once a year release of a new flagship phone. I think will see the Bold predecessor excluding the weak 9650 (that phone should be labled a Tour 2 IMO). Next year sometime.

04-20-10 10:26 AM
    The 9700 is a great device for what it does, and it is absolutely qualified to be BB's lead phone if all you ask of your device is to make calls, do texts, and emails.

But I think what the OP was getting at is that if you want to continue thinking of this as a "smartphone", BB is going to have to evolve with some of what the other hardware is doing out there. If it weren't for mobile websites, some third party solutions (BOLT and Opera) and a handful of useful apps, it would be a bit of a stretch to call a Bold 9700 an "internet device" any more than my Palm TX PDA was an internet device back in 2005.

Yes, Blackberry needs to stay true to its business model, which is based on practicality and familiarity. But Blackberry users also have to keep in mind that this isn't 2007 anymore--there are other options. The brand "Blackberry" used to be synonomous with a handheld device that could make calls, and perform email/internet functions...now we have at least three competitor operating systems and tons of competing hardware manufacturers.

Just because somebody has traditionally checked email on their Blackberry doesn't mean the brand won't start hemorhaging the more tech-savy consumers who realize they can do the same thing on an iPhone, Droid, or (soon) HTC Evo....plus, a whole lot more.

I'm fine with my 9700 for the remainder of my contract, but I really need to see a "next-gen" Blackberry by late 2011 on the market, or I'm liable to jump ship. What I mean by "next-gen" I can't fully say this far in advance, but I assume it will involve 4G, an evolved operating system (be it 6.0 or 7.0), at least partial touch functionality (and not like the Storm does it), and a more powerful processor. I expect that those features (and probably others) will be standard fare by then.
    04-20-10 10:31 AM
    Quality over quantity.
    04-20-10 10:37 AM
    Quality over quantity.
    +1

words to live by
    04-20-10 10:50 AM
    Only RIM has true push email for the masses for 10 accounts at a time. Blackberrys might be lacking some features but until somebody else will have a true push email network, RIM will keep getting my money.

People tend to forget what RIM have over all other manufacturers.

There is nothing like knowing that the emails or notifications you are getting on your phone are real time.

04-20-10 11:15 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD