After speaking to Verizon today about my data tether/bluetooth reboot issue (on my 3rd? Tour), they are sending me a new in box Storm 2 to try out. The specs are fairly the same and I use the phone more for data than anything else...but I still fire off quite a bit of text messages and emails in spurts.

I've only played with the Storm 1, and wasn't that impressed, but I have read that the Storm2 is pretty good.

Thoughts, or should I just demand a Tour again (or hold out for a free upgrade with this issue to a Bold 9650 )
    04-19-10 05:45 PM
    I just upgraded from the Tour (4th Tour) to the Storm2 and I'm loving it. I tried the original Storm when it first came out and hated it Storm2 is much much better --- so I have no regrets of the change. I'm surprised I can text and email with ease. Having wifi is a plus, and I'm a constant user of my bluetooth so the battery life isn't the best, but I keep mine on the charging pod while working or walking around my office.
    04-19-10 05:58 PM
    It's a toss up. I'd prefer the Storm2 but I dont like touch screens so I go with the Tour, hands down. Tour seems to be a more solid device besides the trackball issue, but I think those issues have been worked out with the newer manufactured models
    04-19-10 06:06 PM
    Its really all about personal preference. I prefer the larger screen and touchscreen so for me the Tour 1 or 2 would be a downgrade.
    04-19-10 06:15 PM
    It's a toss up. I'd prefer the Storm2 but I dont like touch screens so I go with the Tour, hands down. Tour seems to be a more solid device besides the trackball issue, but I think those issues have been worked out with the newer manufactured models
    the tour is a more solid device? Really? What altered universe are you living in.
    04-19-10 06:16 PM
    the tour is a more solid device? Really? What altered universe are you living in.
    Must be the same ALTERNATE universe I'm living in. Didn't you just say it was a matter of personal preference? I've had both devices in the past. Aside from the screen size, I'd have also preferred the Tour. Sure the Tour had software issues and trackball problems, but I found the S2 had even worse glitches...especially with the latest Verizon update. Now I have a 9700 which to me, feels like having the Tour all over again, minus the software and trackball issues.
    04-19-10 06:41 PM
    Both are great devices, if you like touch screen then go with the Storm2 but if you like physical keyboard, go with the Tour.
    04-19-10 06:52 PM
    Bizzaro World?
    04-19-10 07:04 PM
    If they're giving you the Storm2 to try out, why not try it.
    I think after a couple days with Surepress, you'll love the Storm. But it really takes a couple days to get a good feel for it.
    04-19-10 09:19 PM
    I hate the inconsistancy with the click at different times and in different environments, but overall, I would pick the S2 easily over the Tour. I would actually pick it over a Tour2 assuming it had the same memory, etc. However, with the tour 2 (aka the bold), I can see it being a much closer challenge.

Trackballs just wont do it for me any more. Plus, a big screen is a huge asset, especially when using data, apps, and browsing the web.

Also, don't forget the S2 has open GL. The Tour does not.
    04-19-10 09:33 PM
    I went from a Tour to a Storm2 recently. I hae to say I like the larger display a lot. I do miss being able to quickly key up contacts especially with the physical keyboard. My speed entering text is about the same with the Storm2 but my accuracy isnt up to par yet.

The device itself seems more responsive than the Tour which suprised me. I has running a bare bones hybrid Tour OS and my stock OS Storm2 with all the bells and whistles is still faster.

So far I like it a lot. I tried a few themes which seemed like gave me a hit to performance, so Im going back to basics. Other than that, I am very satisfied with the upgrade from a Tour to a Storm2.

.....until the next new Blackberry comes out LoL....
    04-20-10 07:48 AM
    While the S2 is snappier I think, when it does occasionally freeze, the keyboard is part of that occurance where as a physical keyboard, not so much. The screen pressure mechanics also changes in different screens (e.g. putting in passwords verse typing for a text msg, or hitting the keypad while on a call verses click/navigating the home screen when not on a call). Also, I think the mechanics of the click has a lot to do with memory management. If you have too many things open or low memory, the software performance degrades which means the click also degrades. The device also has some issues with clicking while flat, especially at the call button area.

At the end of the day, its still consistant enough for decent use. Its just minor frustrations here and there that make you wish you still had a physical keyboard.

On a more positive note, when the OS is running well, the click feels just right, and it forces me to love my device all over again and put down my quarrels
    04-20-10 09:36 AM
    Must be the same ALTERNATE universe I'm living in. Didn't you just say it was a matter of personal preference? I've had both devices in the past. Aside from the screen size, I'd have also preferred the Tour. Sure the Tour had software issues and trackball problems, but I found the S2 had even worse glitches...especially with the latest Verizon update. Now I have a 9700 which to me, feels like having the Tour all over again, minus the software and trackball issues.
    Pretty sure the Tours browser click issue trumps any minor third party app issues the Storm2 is having with .607.

Storm2 very rarely has software issues like that. (ex. .451, 20 or so hybrids, ..517, 10 or so hybrids) with no issues.

Holding a Tour and a Storm2 in my hand, I know which device feels finished and which one feels like Toys'R'Us made it. The Tour feels just like the Storm1, which is incomplete and rushed. The Storm2 feels (and is in comparison to the S1) polished and properly put together.

I'd personally say going to a Storm2 is an upgrade from the Tour. With the added WiFi, Open GL, and an EOL far out of sight (as opposed to the Tours, which is fast approaching), it's a step up.
    04-20-10 10:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD