Hey all, I installed Jam for BB and it came with BestFLASH. It has a few default icons that let you do a "one-click" red, or a "one-click" blue.

I'd love to get one of those "quick red" or "quick blue" links into QuickLink, but the only application choice is the BestFLASH app itself, not the "quick red" or "quick blue" options.

Any idea how I can make a link in QL to the "quick red" or "quick blue" options of BestFLASH?

-CJ

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-10 11:22 PM
    CJ,

This is a limitation of some 3rd-party app launchers.

The BestFLASH, Quick Red, Quick Blue, and Quick Light icons all run the same program, but pass it different commands to indicate which mode it should start up in. They are all registered with the phone as different apps, which is why they appear as such on the home screen and in your convenience key options. However, all 4 of those apps are in a single "module" because they all share the same program code; this is a standard and proper way to structure such an app, and the convenience keys have no problem being set to any of those icons if you use Options/Screen to set them up.

Unfortunately, at least some 3rd-party app launchers do not offer you a list of all apps installed on the phone, they only offer a list of the first app in each code module installed on the phone. This is something that I don't understand, because there's no technical difficulty in recognizing and starting all of the apps in all code modules, rather than just the 1st app in each module.

I packaged BestFLASH as 3 separate code modules so that all features actually are accessible through app launchers with the above limitation (you can set shortcuts to BestFLASH, Video Flashlight, and Bright Strobe). However, it was unjustifiable in my opinion to increase the size of the app and the complexity of building and upgrading it by making the "Quick ___" mode shortcut icons fully separate apps, meaning self-contained in their own independent modules. The app is not too big but is "big enough already", I don't like wasting space on peoples' phones because it can mean less space to install more apps. Therefore, I left the "Quick ____" shortcuts as just that: they start BestFLASH with arguments that specify what mode it should enter when it starts.

This is really an issue that should be taken up with the developers of app launchers. It's completely obvious how to recognize all the apps installed on the phone and launch them, in my opinion it's just an oversight on their part and something that they could correct in a very short time.

If you want to tell the developer of your app launcher what you need, it's the ability to launch any of the application descriptors in a code module instead of just the first one. It's so simple, I'm amazed they missed it. The designers of the OS didn't miss it... even on my phone with 4.5, I've got one of my convenience keys set to the Quick Light, and all of them are in the list, including red and blue.

Good luck,
    Last edited by LSphone; 04-18-10 at 05:29 AM.
    04-18-10 05:17 AM
    CJ,

This is a limitation of some 3rd-party app launchers.

The BestFLASH, Quick Red, Quick Blue, and Quick Light icons all run the same program, but pass it different commands to indicate which mode it should start up in. They are all registered with the phone as different apps, which is why they appear as such on the home screen and in your convenience key options. However, all 4 of those apps are in a single "module" because they all share the same program code; this is a standard and proper way to structure such an app, and the convenience keys have no problem being set to any of those icons if you use Options/Screen to set them up.

Unfortunately, at least some 3rd-party app launchers do not offer you a list of all apps installed on the phone, they only offer a list of the first app in each code module installed on the phone. This is something that I don't understand, because there's no technical difficulty in recognizing and starting all of the apps in all code modules, rather than just the 1st app in each module.

I packaged BestFLASH as 3 separate code modules so that all features actually are accessible through app launchers with the above limitation (you can set shortcuts to BestFLASH, Video Flashlight, and Bright Strobe). However, it was unjustifiable in my opinion to increase the size of the app and the complexity of building and upgrading it by making the "Quick ___" mode shortcut icons fully separate apps, meaning self-contained in their own independent modules. The app is not too big but is "big enough already", I don't like wasting space on peoples' phones because it can mean less space to install more apps. Therefore, I left the "Quick ____" shortcuts as just that: they start BestFLASH with arguments that specify what mode it should enter when it starts.

This is really an issue that should be taken up with the developers of app launchers. It's completely obvious how to recognize all the apps installed on the phone and launch them, in my opinion it's just an oversight on their part and something that they could correct in a very short time.

If you want to tell the developer of your app launcher what you need, it's the ability to launch any of the application descriptors in a code module instead of just the first one. It's so simple, I'm amazed they missed it. The designers of the OS didn't miss it... even on my phone with 4.5, I've got one of my convenience keys set to the Quick Light, and all of them are in the list, including red and blue.

Good luck,
    You're absolutely correct. QL's app list only shows the core app, but RIM's convenience key setup shows it all. I wonder if that was an intentional choice on QL's part.
    FWIW, I'm going to ask for this as a feature request to nikkisoft.
    Thanks for your quick response; love the apps!
    CJ

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-10 11:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD