Okay I got this phone as a christmas present from my parents I really wanted it because my cousins got the curve 8530's and I thought the Tour would be a great phone. Of course my parents extended my contract but that was okay until about the 7th phone. I really can not stand this phone at all. The first one I got (new from box) was great but the trackball died about a month later and its just gone downhill from there. Not only did I have 3 died from errors, 2 die from trackball problems, 1 die from a bad USB port I had one in which the memory module stopped working Okay and here is the real kicker I got in trouble last week and do you want to know why well I installed Verizons official release of OS 5.0 and guess what the phone decided to start playing a song that I did not even have on the phone during my spanish class while we were having a test . I don't think that I will ever own another RIM product !!!

P.S. RIM it would be kind of smart to make sure the phones you release work right instead of releasing 12 different smart phones it works for Apple !
    04-17-10 08:38 PM
    didn't read but loled @ title
    04-17-10 08:40 PM
    didn't read but loled @ title
    +1!

Hey, it got my attention anyhow.
    Last edited by travelingfool; 04-17-10 at 11:35 PM.
    04-17-10 08:43 PM
    Wow. 7 phones in 5 mos. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. The Tour IS a very good phone when all is right with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-10 08:49 PM
    I have thought about it and I guess that I really could not use any other phone than a Blackberry so I guess I will keep my Tour but RIM better get their act together because there are other smart phones that are getting some of the same key features (push mail etc.)
    04-17-10 10:04 PM
    ive only had one tour for about 8 months and it works great. you must have the worst luck ever...
    04-17-10 10:15 PM
    OS 5.0.0.591 from Verizon is inexcusably bad, although the folks who bought the first Storms make a pretty good case that the original Storm OS release was even worse. I'm sticking with 4.7.1.61 on my Tour for now. I don't use PTT.
    04-17-10 10:17 PM
    Yeah I just cant believe that no one at VZW or RIM noticed the fact that OS 5.0.0.591 plays random songs. LOL
    04-17-10 10:25 PM
    I came into CrackBerry about the time the Storm hit Verizon and was quite amused at how aptly it had been named. Boy, did it create a Storm of controversy and got its own Rants and Raves forum so quickly.

When Tour came out, we heard a lot of Snafus with it, also. I know the build quality was pretty bad on some of them, but it was also the only other device running wIth the 4.7 OS series. Coincidence?

But I waited, and got mine last month. Very solid device, thus far. Haven't upped to a 5.0 OS yet, but I've heard .484 is pretty stable. One day....

Sorry to hear you've had difficulty. I know that VZW in particular has had trackball issues, and definitely popped blood vessels ramming that .591 out. I really hope you can get a solid one.

04-17-10 10:27 PM
    5.0.0.591 does have it's problems. The only issue I have with .591 is an occasional browser click issue. The Tour is great device when working properly.
    04-17-10 10:33 PM
    I hear a lot of complaints about the Verizon Tour. We don't have those problems with the Sprint Tour. Not trying to rub it in, but it baffles me that they could make an OS for the same device perform so differently. The .484 is the most stable OS I have used on any BlackBerry I have ever owned. That sucks for Verizon subscribers.

04-17-10 10:44 PM
    Yeah I just cant believe that no one at VZW or RIM noticed the fact that OS 5.0.0.591 plays random songs. LOL
    And that's not the worst problem, just the worst one you've experienced so far. You can still get the "Technical Error, return to store for replacement" error.

It's inexcusable that an officially released OS, installed properly, can brick a phone.

I do agree that the Tour with a good OS is a very nice phone. I'm happy with mine and OS 4.7.1.61.
    04-17-10 11:00 PM
    5.0.0.419 Know it. Download it. Love it. Unless you need the PTT, this is the version you need.
    04-17-10 11:27 PM
    5.0.0.419 Know it. Download it. Love it. Unless you need the PTT, this is the version you need.
    Agreed. I ran .419 before the .419 based hybrid I'm running now. It flat smokes. 2 minutes 13 seconds from battery pull to home screen, and with Driphter's hybrid, the browser is really fast, and with the .484 radio, it's the best of both worlds. Battery life is great.

.419 is a very good OS. I'd highly recommend it.
    04-17-10 11:40 PM
    me too Jeff, I love my Tour I am glad I was able to downgrade and my suggestion to those who have the problem with the 5.0 is to downgrade. the 4.7 is fine.

But everyone needs to call and email Verizon of their issues. I am disappointed in the OS and they need to fix it the 5.0 is really bad in every way.
    04-18-10 12:19 AM
    Agreed. I ran .419 before the .419 based hybrid I'm running now. It flat smokes. 2 minutes 13 seconds from battery pull to home screen, and with Driphter's hybrid, the browser is really fast, and with the .484 radio, it's the best of both worlds. Battery life is great.

I agree absolutely 110%. I actually made a thread on this. I've tried .230 hybrid *which I thought was phenomenal and I think gets looked passed*, .419 hybrid, .484, .548, and .591...right now I have .419 Hybrid which actually shows it as .412. Anyhow, its a solid build OS. Luckily enough, my trackball is smooth as butter, my USB is grade 'A', and with the stable OS, I couldn't ask for more.

04-18-10 01:01 AM
    I was waiting to get a tour and hears about the Essex. I decided to wait because of all the trackball issues. I hope the bold is made a bit better than the tour off the bat.

04-18-10 01:01 AM
    I have Sprint Tour and I have had 9 new ones since i got mine.
    04-18-10 01:59 AM

AGREED! For now .419 w/ Driphter's DVClassic is providing the best performance yet on my VZW Tour.
    I may not bother updating BB phones unless there is a quantum leap from what this phone can do. (NE2 in June '10)
    04-18-10 05:50 AM
    I have 3 personal Tours on Sprint (all October builds - one had a bad trackball) and my immediate office has about 20 VZW Tours with an early build without any problems.

Of course the VZW phones are still running 4.7 - IT departments are (in this understandably) notoriously slow to upgrade anything.
    04-18-10 08:06 AM
    ... On another note, we have 6 Tours going back about 7 months or so on the oldest 2 and have had no returns, problems, etc with any of them, only a minor issue or two reported (rare browser click miss and application compatibility issue) on a couple of phones with the official Verizon OS 5.0 (.591) installed on all 6 phones now.
    Last edited by JeffH; 04-18-10 at 11:39 AM. Reason: deleted quote of a deleted post
    04-18-10 09:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD