Although RIM is losing market share in recent years to Apple and now Android they are still finding means to make money elsewhere. The same phenomenon that took place in North America some years back over the gadget is now taking place in Indonesia.

BlackBerry, Facing Competition, Finds New Market
    04-17-10 01:19 AM
    I dunno how relevant a phenomenon it is. They still only have a million or a few million users. Its missing a lot of context in the short article. was the 400% gain on 5000 people? 5 million? There's a lot of info missing to put it into context.

You also have to look at the economy of the country.

The people there surely arent going out and buying expensive iphones, Android, HTC, etc devices when half the population still lives on an average income of less than $2/day (2006 data).
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-17-10 at 02:05 AM.
    04-17-10 02:02 AM
    The people there surely arent going out and buying expensive iphones, Android, HTC, etc devices when half the population still lives on an average income of less than $2/day (2006 data).
    Source? Cuz a few quick searches places the average income substantially higher than $730 a year. But then I limited my searches to only the decades after which the horseless carriage was introduced and mass produced (even during the great depression).
    Last edited by rmjones101; 04-17-10 at 05:27 AM.
    04-17-10 05:18 AM
    My son is currently in that country and reports that a single beer costs 3 days salary...lol

So here's another statistics.. 99% of iphone fanboys will spend hours in this forum denying any RIM friendly inforrmation...lol
    04-17-10 08:31 AM
    My son is currently in that country and reports that a single beer costs 3 days salary...lol

So here's another statistics.. 99% of iphone fanboys will spend hours in this forum denying any RIM friendly inforrmation...lol
    +1000000
    04-17-10 08:36 AM
    RIM... we make 3rd world class phones for 3rd world class countries. lol

While I'll agree that some more popular Asian countries are a lot more technologically advanced, this doesn't deter from the fact that RIM's been seen catering to countries that have never been on the radar before for their business. I guess if you can't beat them... just sell the same old tired stuff to another country that thinks it's new. lol
    04-17-10 09:16 AM
    Source? Cuz a few quick searches places the average income substantially higher than $730 a year. But then I limited my searches to only the decades after which the horseless carriage was introduced and mass produced (even during the great depression).
    http://siteresources.worldbank.org/I...ndalone_en.pdf

Page 11 Figure 2.

But I do see some figures from other sources in the $2500-3500 range for 2008.

Ok, lets play devil's advocate. Even at that level, who is going to go out and buy a $5-600 cell phone like an HTC, iphone etc, while trying to support a family, buy food, shelter, etc? No one in their right mind is going out and spending almost 20% of their income on a phone!

My son is currently in that backwards country and reports that a single beer costs 3 days salary...lol

Here's more stats, 99% of RIM fanboys jump all over anyone who makes an ACCURATE statement which doesnt appease the RIM fanboys.

Im sorry that its logical that the people in poor countries arent going out to spend a huge chunk of their income on expensive smartphones so they get the cheap/freebie BB's. Thats just how economies work when youre priced out of something.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-17-10 at 11:28 AM.
    04-17-10 11:16 AM
    RIM... we make 3rd world class phones for 3rd world class countries. lol

While I'll agree that some more popular Asian countries are a lot more technologically advanced, this doesn't deter from the fact that RIM's been seen catering to countries that have never been on the radar before for their business. I guess if you can't beat them... just sell the same old tired stuff to another country that thinks it's new. lol
    You may think they're "3rd World Class" ... Does being able to spend more money on a cellphone somehow make you superior? Do you automatically assume that people in these countries live in a bubble and have no idea what else is out there? Besides, this is business. Is Lambourghini or Ferrari a larger car manufacturer than Toyota? No? I wonder why that is... Maybe "rich snobs" like us in 1st World Countries are the minority, and RIM realizes that NA is only about a 10th of the international market.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 04-17-10 at 09:54 PM.
    04-17-10 04:37 PM
    +1

Well, your point is totally valid..except that the Americas is the 2nd world..lol

They may be "3rd World Class" ... Does being able to spend more money on a cellphone somehow make you superior? Do you automatically assume that people in these countries live in a bubble and have no idea what else is out there? Besides, this is business. Is Lambourghini or Ferrari a larger car manufacturer than Toyota? No? I wonder why that is... Maybe "rich snobs" like us in 1st World Countries are the minority, and RIM realizes that NA is only about a 10th of the international market.
    04-17-10 05:05 PM

#1 TOKYO, Japan 34,400,000 (includes Yokohama)
    #2 JAKARTA, Indonesia 21,800,000 (political jurisdictions)
    #3 New York (NY), United States 20,090,000
    Jakarta (also DKI Jakarta) is the capital and largest city of Indonesia. Located on the northwest coast of Java, it has an area of 661 square kilometres (255 sq mi) and a population of 8,490,000. Jakarta is the country's economic, cultural and political center. It is the most populous city in Indonesia and Southeast Asia, and is the twelfth-largest city in the world.

Jakarta's economy depends heavily on financial service, trade, and manufacturing. Industry includes electronics, automotive, chemicals, mechanical engineering and biomedical sciences manufacturing. In 2009, 13% of the population had an income per capita in excess of US$ 10,000 (Rp 108,000,000).
    Jakarta, is a World class city. Financial Service, trade and manufacturing: industry that depend on secure and reliable communications... a perfect fit for BlackBerry.
    04-17-10 08:08 PM
    You guys act like the people of Indonesia are still living how they were two hundred years ago. They're growing rapidly. It would only make sense that RIM is moving in.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-10 09:36 PM
    You guys act like the people of Indonesia are still living how they were two hundred years ago. They're growing rapidly. It would only make sense that RIM is moving in.

You're right. I've edited my post to reflect what I meant to say.

04-17-10 09:58 PM
    The only reason RIM and BB would be successful in Indonesia is because the religious leaders there are very patient and so there won't be a problem waiting on the reboot.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    04-17-10 10:29 PM
    The only reason RIM and BB would be successful in Indonesia is because the religious leaders there are very patient and so there won't be a problem waiting on the reboot.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    Good one there
    04-18-10 01:44 AM
    Damn, there are a lot of racist, ethnocentric, superior minded xenophobes in this forum.

Then they hate it when they hear the "ugly American" stereotype.

Watch out, those of you with such an inflated sense of superiority...some of those Asian countries you speak of badly of right now are just at your door biting off huge pieces of your economy. Remember that all societies rise and fall.
    04-18-10 04:59 AM
    It's sad to see how some people have an absolute lack of common sense and general knowledge, living in their own little bubble.
    04-18-10 05:11 AM
    Then they claim they don't do it or come up with a "whatever people like" fake attitude. They claim they hate the iPhone bashing yet they love the RIM/BB bashing.

Brandon - your article was interesting. I'm not going at you.

This time...
    04-18-10 05:49 AM
    Yeah I don't get the whole 3rd world country bashing. People here are underestimating the world markets. Why do you think Nokia is still #1? Blackberry isn't even an American product and people here talk like it is. Get over yourselves, our bankers screwed us over and laughed all the way to the bank while millions of americans suffer. God bless america!

04-18-10 12:50 PM
    ... I do however don't like the whole 3rd world country bashing. Not cool!

04-18-10 12:55 PM
    agree. bashing 3rd world country's is very wrong to do. Makes us look like low lifes to bash other county's
    04-18-10 01:00 PM
    RIM success in Indonesia is all because of their BBM, most folks here in Indonesia is crazy with mobile chat, and Blackberry has that advantage over other smartphone, I my self uses 9700 and HTC HD2, many of my friend would have 2 smartphone with them, but one has to be a Blackberry, ask why? it is more user friendly when it comes to setting up internet service and also BBM feature is great way to stay connected with their friends and families...

I think RIM is lucky to have BBM, otherwise Blackberry will be like any other cell phone...

regarding price? would you believe it if I tell you guys here that first 9000 Bold came out to Indonesian market (Black Market) would cost around USD 1300?, 9700 came to our market (Black Market) would sells at USD 900... I think Iphone will cost less than that...

But yet it doesn't stop Indonesian from buying it...
    04-19-10 02:29 PM
    I've been to Asia a few times and the thing is even though country like Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia and Philliphines are considered 3rd world countries, their class is clearly divided. In general 85% of the population are filthy poor barely have any foods to eat. The other 15% are filthy rich like Donald Trump. There is no middle class.

If you take 15% of of a 240 million population of Indonesia, you have a population of 36 million that can afford high end phones like iPhones or Blackberry. They could choose any phone they want be but the decision for BB boggles my mind. In Vietnam the whole fad is iPhones.

One reason why I think Indonesia is huge on BB is because it's one of the World's largest financial center, you will see alot of businessmen using a berry for emails and texting all the time. An elite businessman with a bb comes a fad.

Another reason might be that internet is so expensive in Indonesia that cell phone internet is an alternative way of surfing the web for cheap. BB data plans are so much cheaper over there then here.
    Last edited by thymaster; 04-20-10 at 12:39 AM.
    04-20-10 12:25 AM
    Wow, major sensitivity issues here.

NO ONE bashed a 3rd world country. Is posting stats we found now bashing something?

Thats the most illogical thing Ive ever heard that were bashing another country because someone else posted the statistics to the public and we're simply displaying those results
    04-22-10 07:08 PM
    Explaining how sets numbers were turned into an erroneous, bigoted, third world ridicule stereotype fest would take more time and space than would be allowed in this forum.
    There are several issues with a number of the posts. If someone were to point them out it would be deemed as a personal attack, therefore it is not prudent to illustrate.
    04-22-10 07:54 PM
    Damn, there are a lot of racist, ethnocentric, superior minded xenophobes in this forum.

Then they hate it when they hear the "ugly American" stereotype.

Watch out, those of you with such an inflated sense of superiority...some of those Asian countries you speak of badly of right now are just at your door biting off huge pieces of your economy. Remember that all societies rise and fall.
    +1...don't really think it's so much a reflection upon this forum, but upon America is general.

Anyway, I think it's cool that places like India and Indonesia are picking up with Blackberries. I like RIM and I want them to do well. Why would I be against people in these countries having Blackberries? It makes no sense.

I think some people just want to think their phone is "high class" and don't want to see it fall into the hands of *le gasp* 3rd world countries!
    04-22-10 08:01 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD