i was wondering if anybody thought dose the curve 8900 reasemble the bold more than we think should i upgrade?
    04-16-10 11:13 PM
    9700 has a faster processor, larger battery, 3G, different keyboard, trackpad, and the headset jack and micro usb port are on the left side (big plus IMHO)
    04-17-10 12:38 AM
    8900 with os 5 has same battery life as 9700, the main differences are trackpad and 3G. The processor is slightly better but i don t think it makes that much of a difference. I d'wait for a more significant improvment to upgrade (except if u need the 3G).

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    04-17-10 04:12 AM
    The 8900 definitely rivals the 9000 outside of screen size. Perks to the 9700 are trackpad, processor, for some the keyboard and of course 3G. I looked at upgrading-twice. I just couldn't justify it. The 8-channel EDGE (I've never been able to confirm it but it feels faster than typical EDGE) is fast enough for me, I use WiFi 80% of the time, the keyboard works for me, I like its looks and I've adjusted to the right side USB port. I'm happy with the 8900 and can easily wait it out for something a bit more advanced than the 9700.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-10 11:09 AM
    The 8900 definitely rivals the 9000 outside of screen size. Perks to the 9700 are trackpad, processor, for some the keyboard and of course 3G. I looked at upgrading-twice. I just couldn't justify it. The 8-channel EDGE (I've never been able to confirm it but it feels faster than typical EDGE) is fast enough for me, I use WiFi 80% of the time, the keyboard works for me, I like its looks and I've adjusted to the right side USB port. I'm happy with the 8900 and can easily wait it out for something a bit more advanced than the 9700.
    +1 on that ^

I've been a fairly rabid upgrader, enjoying new tech as it comes out, but find myself hesitating to pull the trigger on this. I've had the 8900 since it first hit the T-Mobile retail stores, and it's been great. The 9700 is slick -- I think I'd enjoy the trackpad, although I must say I've had NO problems at all with the 8900's trackball. Better wireless throughput would be nice, as I find EDGE somewhat disappointing sometimes when trying to browse websites from the 8900. However I've read enough conflicting accounts of uneven experience people are having the the 9700 on 3G to make me wonder if it's worth it -- seems that other devices (such as the Android phones) are doing better with 3G on T-Mobile -- I know that *some* are ok with it on the 9700, just doesn't sound consistent yet.

I'd also like the faster processor on the 9700 -- but not convinced any of the plusses are necessarily enough to make it worth the cost right now. As an existing T-Mo customer, I'm told that with my full subsidy, it will still cost me $150 and a 2 year-commitment to get the 9700 -- plus the "upgrade fee", which I find especially annoying after having given T-Mo an enormous amount of business and referrals since Voicestream days.

I'm at the point where it probably makes the most sense to satisfy my upgrade urge by continuing to play with OS betas and themes as they come out, and hang on to see what new devices appear on the horizon. Love my blackberry, but it's also getting harder to be a diehard purist as I watch the evolution of Android devices. Not sure they're sufficiently *there* yet to convince me to give up the functionality and reliability of the blackberry, but the decision is getting harder day by day.

So - being on the fence, I'm clearly not ready to plunk down $150 or $200 (or more) to commit to anything I see on the market today. That's why *I* will likely stick with my 8900 for a while to come...
    04-17-10 01:45 PM
    My only complaint with the 8900 is the key board. I find it hard to type on. The keys aren't raised enough imho.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-10 07:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD