So, this week i will be selling my Blackberry Storm and be going to Android via HTC Incredible. Thanks for all the help here from the forums, im sure ill still around, my parents always need help with their blackberrys. But yea im really excited to try android. Anyone else going to make the leap?
    04-15-10 04:39 PM
    I'm making the same leap as you and can't wait

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-10 04:43 PM
    im actually going to bump to S2.

not sure if its just me but its easier for me to get around on the berries compared to the iphone OS and the android OS's.
    i tried out the moto droid at the store and i really liked how fluid the browser was and the responsiveness, but, i really like RIMs idea with surepress, and the ease of getting around. also, i know RIM will get the browser updated sometime.

but good luck to you, thats a great phone too.
    04-15-10 04:47 PM
    man im so excited im trying to sell my storm to friends right now hah. use a pearl for 2 weeks till i get the Droid Incredible.
    04-15-10 04:51 PM
    im actually going to bump to S2.

not sure if its just me but its easier for me to get around on the berries compared to the iphone OS and the android OS's.
    i tried out the moto droid at the store and i really liked how fluid the browser was and the responsiveness, but, i really like RIMs idea with surepress, and the ease of getting around. also, i know RIM will get the browser updated sometime.

but good luck to you, thats a great phone too.
    As an S1 owner as well, im efinitely interested in what rim is up to with this new browser also. The fact that it has sever side rendering will make it THE browser to beat, even if it is two years late.

04-15-10 05:03 PM
    As an S1 owner as well, im efinitely interested in what rim is up to with this new browser also. The fact that it has sever side rendering will make it THE browser to beat, even if it is two years late.

not sure i could wait 2 years for a good browser Opera mini 5 helps quite a bit, it runs pretty smooth on my storm. Im just really interested in What android offers. Open Dev.
    04-15-10 05:06 PM
    Gosh, a "Droid vs. BB" thread..how novel!
    04-15-10 05:10 PM
    it wasn't meant for that. I was just curious on who else was going to make the switch?
    04-15-10 05:25 PM
    I'm going to make the jump to the Incredible too! But I'm very interested in seeing what the Storm 3 has to offer, so since I have 2 upgrades eligible from mine & a second like I'm going to save one to see what it looks like when it comes out.

Not completely abandoning ship, just testing the Android waters
    04-15-10 05:42 PM
    I'm making the same leap on my contract renewal date, August 17th. 124 days left, but who's counting?

04-15-10 05:47 PM
    RIM is so far behind the competition at this point it is ridiculous, you will love Android.
    04-15-10 05:49 PM
    I guess RIM's gonna do something common with HTC...my wish it would be technology marriage...

Fatih Kurnaz
    (T�rkiye,T�rk�e,Yardım,Avea,Vodafone,Turkcell BlackBerry,Bis,Pin:20E1B856 )

04-15-10 05:50 PM
    The bb browser basically sux, and I have a spankin' new Bold.

The real problem is lack of development. Apple has obviously figured this out, and it's not as simple as it seems, because making it "open source" or even "semi-open" is actually the easier part of the equation.

The stumbling starts when you try and build a business model around that. Iow, how to *monetize* it. And Jobs, much as I'm not really an Apple fan - but an admirer, if that makes any sense - , has obviously figured it out.
    04-15-10 05:53 PM
    With iphone 4g, Android 2.1, Windows Mobile 7, i think blackberry is going to take a plunge this year. I was so excited to get the storm, but after having it i was very disappointed. I think BB needs to rethink their strategy in the consumer market.
    04-15-10 06:06 PM
    I guess RIM's gonna do something common with HTC...my wish it would be technology marriage...
    I have been thinking about this possibility for a while now. Not that BBs will get Android, but some sort of shared tech/ programs/ coding that will help RIM catch up a bit in the OS war.
    04-15-10 06:11 PM
    it wasn't meant for that. I was just curious on who else was going to make the switch?
    I guess this message thread didn't already cover that.... http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/wh...edible-454059/
    04-15-10 07:20 PM
    The bb browser basically sux, and I have a spankin' new Bold.

The real problem is lack of development. Apple has obviously figured this out, and it's not as simple as it seems, because making it "open source" or even "semi-open" is actually the easier part of the equation.

The stumbling starts when you try and build a business model around that. Iow, how to *monetize* it. And Jobs, much as I'm not really an Apple fan - but an admirer, if that makes any sense - , has obviously figured it out.
    Oh Google's figured it out alright, their profits are up a whopping 37% for the first quarter.

To put it simply, Google is in the ad revenue business. Just like yahoo, ask.com, and other fledgling search providers they gain money from advertisements from the search results page. They also have adwords which are advertisements within web pages related to content. I'm sure you know this already.

The reason they make so much money is because they took a unique approach to gaining market share, and that's by dumping profits into the development of free, useful software. Google maps, Google earth, gmail, Google docs all increase brand recognition. The idea being that the more Google products you use, the more likely you are to use Google as a search engine.

Android is just an extension of that thought, although by highly integrating Google into the OS, you are automatically using Google and viewing their ads via mobile whenever you use the browser. While I'm sure they make plenty of dough from the mobile ads, the money is actually in the brand recognition.

Its free open source solutions that made Google what it is today. The reason ask is on its last breath is because they sat back on their laurels and didn't do anything to promote their brand beyond commercials. Google never even had a commercial until the most recent Superbowl. Yahoo offers some good services like email and fantasy football, as well as a nicely designed customizable homepage, and their doing okay for themselves, but nowhere in the same ballpark as Google or Bing even.

Last edited by DrewCSchultz; 04-15-10 at 09:31 PM.
    04-15-10 08:49 PM
    Samsung Galaxy S is most likely for me.

04-15-10 09:13 PM
    I think I may be going to android via the incredible from my tour. I think that I am going to wait a week or two before buying so I can see the reviews.

04-15-10 09:39 PM
    I think I may be going to android via the incredible from my tour. I think that I am going to wait a week or two before buying so I can see the reviews.

You have 30 days to return it, I don't like reviews because I don't know the skill level of the user.
    04-16-10 09:25 AM
    so, selling my storm today, found a buyer, only bad part? using a pearl with os 4.5 for 2 weeks ughghhghghghghghghgh not sure if i can do it heh
    04-16-10 11:01 AM
    Well, here's the way it is. Had a Curve, but got rid of it after three days so I picked up an S1. But that was so buggy I turned it in for a Tour, but that sucked the life out of the battery. Then I went back to touchscreen on the HTC Eris, but that didn't hold a candle to the Moto Droid that I bought off an eBay dweeb. Traded the Droid in on an HTC Ozone cause I was sick of the touchscreen touchy-feelie thingy. Looked at the Samsung Galaxy but it was touchy-feelie all over again so I got a bad case of the gimmies for the Omnia. Boy, that was like back to the future but WinMo gave me the shakes.

Guess I'll just chill out here for a few with my e815. Now there's quality...
    04-16-10 11:48 AM
    You can't beat the e815 with a stick! Had mine forever and sold it to someone else after I was through. He dropped it down a flight of stairs accidentally and it still WORKS!!!!!

That was several phones ago for me too. Did you have a Curve 8330? Mine has been a workhorse.....
    04-16-10 12:03 PM
    Storm1 total failure! Mine keeps freezing about 4-5 times a day. Bogus! RIM has neglected the market, maybe they can partner with Palm.
    04-16-10 03:11 PM
    Welp, thanks to craigslist, my storm has officially been sold. See yall storm users in the android forum soon! Thanks for all the help Ive ever received here, man i love this site. Most likely where ill stay for my android help, haven't found a better one yet!
    04-16-10 06:14 PM
84 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD