I currently pay a monthly fee to VZW to use my BB as a tethered modem. Anyone know if we'll be able to tether the Incredible?

Better yet...be able to tether it without a tether fee? The Incredible has Wi-Fi whereas my POS BB does not.

Hadn't seen anything written about tethering, yet.

Thank you.
    04-15-10 03:42 PM
    oh, duh...

page 137 of the user guide (forgot I had it):

Using your phone as a modem (tethering)

Get online with your notebook or desktop computer at any time, using your phone�s data connection. For information on setting up and using the data connection, see �Data connection� earlier in this chapter.

You need to install HTC Sync before you can use your phone as a modem. Refer to �Using HTC Sync� in the Sync chapter for details.

Make sure your phone�s data connection is turned on. See �Turning the data connection on or off� earlier in this chapter to learn how to turn on the phone�s data connection.

Connect the phone to the computer using the provided USB cable.
    On the Connect to PC screen, select Mobile Broadband Connect, and then tap Done.

When you are using your phone as a modem, the USB mass storage feature is disabled, and you are also not able to use HTC Sync.
    Still not sure if I'll have to pay VZW a monthly fee for tethering.
    04-15-10 03:44 PM
    No, it wont be offered through VZW. You will use the tethering app, and just poay the 1 time fee. It should be automatic removed. (at least it was when I did my last devour upgrade.)

I asked the DM for my store, and he said it is something that Verizon knows about but really cant do anything about. So it is something that they have to just deal with.
    04-15-10 04:30 PM
    GREAT to know! Already saving money with Android!

Thank you!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-10 04:53 PM
    As far is i know you have to Root your phone to be able to tether for free, it voids your warranty but you can root back without them knowing.
    04-15-10 06:34 PM
    No, it wont be offered through VZW. You will use the tethering app, and just poay the 1 time fee. .
    Nvr2nd,

Which app are you speaking of?

VZW emailed me and said I would still tether through the use of VZ Access Manager and the Mobile Broadband Connect service.
    (Verizon | Data Services: Mobile Broadband - Verizon Wireless Support)

Your way sounds cheaper, though.

Thank you.
    04-16-10 08:26 AM
    I gather the Incredibllllllllllllllllle is code for Droid? And that the Droid has a tethering app that can bypass the VZ Access Manager and it's metering?

Sorry, but I'm new to the forums.

Thanks for your help.
    05-05-10 04:02 AM
    I gather the Incredibllllllllllllllllle is code for Droid? And that the Droid has a tethering app that can bypass the VZ Access Manager and it's metering?

Sorry, but I'm new to the forums.

Thanks for your help.
    The Incredible is part of the Droid line at Verizon. It's a different phone than the MOTO Droid, though.

PDAnet works as a tethering app. It's a bit slower than VZW's option, but there is no monthly fee. Worth the purchase, imho.
    05-05-10 05:20 AM
    I also used to use PDANet. It really came in handy and it saves a lot of money. Speed was fine for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-10 02:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD