As the title says, is that even enough? I would like to game occassionally, and just browsing seems to take up quite alot of data. The only reason I am doing this is because my ethernet Port broke. Is there anyway I can use my BB as an ethernet type of thing? Thanks in advance.
    04-14-10 08:52 PM
    To answer your question for me its enough YMMV

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-10 10:06 PM
    As the title says, is that even enough? I would like to game occassionally, and just browsing seems to take up quite alot of data. The only reason I am doing this is because my ethernet Port broke. Is there anyway I can use my BB as an ethernet type of thing? Thanks in advance.
    5 gigs is relatively enough. It's certainly as a secoondary connectioon. Depending on what you do it might not be enough for a primary connection.

04-14-10 10:10 PM
    For gaming? No. MBC is not an alternative to home internet, you would have overages up the como se llama...
    And no, you can not use your BB as an ethernet type of thing.
    04-15-10 02:44 AM
    For gaming? No. MBC is not an alternative to home internet, you would have overages up the como se llama...
    And no, you can not use your BB as an ethernet type of thing.
    You know what I find funny about it is that VZW reps in stores will typically push it as that. I know they pushed it really hardcore with me. They were trying to convince me to cancel my cable internet and use that. Then I told them I would tether it to an Xbox and they backed off LOL. I know you can't do that, but I thought the look of pure fear was funny enough.

But at 5GB max, it's really for travelling individuals who might need a reliable connection for a computer on the go.

04-15-10 01:02 PM
    Can't you get a PCI card or something if the one on your pc broke? I would imagine that the tethering speeds would be way too slow for gaming anyway.
    04-15-10 01:15 PM
    You know what I find funny about it is that VZW reps in stores will typically push it as that. I know they pushed it really hardcore with me. They were trying to convince me to cancel my cable internet and use that. Then I told them I would tether it to an Xbox and they backed off LOL. I know you can't do that, but I thought the look of pure fear was funny enough.

But at 5GB max, it's really for travelling individuals who might need a reliable connection for a computer on the go.

The plan is not designed for any one type of person. People use it when they travel, people use it as a primary internet when they do not have access to cable or DSL and some people use it as a backup. There's a lot of ways and scenarios that this can be used, but it's still 5 GB�s. So you would have to monitor your usage.
    04-15-10 03:00 PM
    I played NCAA 08 when it came out over an alltel data card and while manageable, it was fairly laggy. I didn't play it that often so I didn't really look at the bandwith. Luckily we still have the grandfathered Alltel Unlmited BSP mobile broadband plan with a Mifi 2200 so no worries of this 5GB rubbish.
    04-17-10 05:03 PM
    imho it will be no good for gaming,,,,

I use it as primary internet on a laptop, so does my wife,

I have never eclipsed 3gig.

I use it almost exclusively while at work, alot of times it sits idle while connected, and have never come close to using the amount given,,, if you use the vzacces manager everytime you start your connection it will tell you how much you have used.

To put it easier, we watched an online netflix i think the movie was 21 watching that one movie used 1/2 gig.

I can sit on facebook, yahoo, and an amateur photography site that updates frequently with tons of pics, and again, have never gone over 3gig.

Oh and yeah, just buy a new ethernet card...as I am assuming you are not gaming on a laptop, a new ethernet card for your pc is like $20
    Last edited by Feeeeg; 04-19-10 at 02:03 PM.
    04-19-10 02:01 PM
    imho it will be no good for gaming,,,,

I use it as primary internet on a laptop, so does my wife,

I have never eclipsed 3gig.

I use it almost exclusively while at work, alot of times it sits idle while connected, and have never come close to using the amount given,,, if you use the vzacces manager everytime you start your connection it will tell you how much you have used.

To put it easier, we watched an online netflix i think the movie was 21 watching that one movie used 1/2 gig.

I can sit on facebook, yahoo, and an amateur photography site that updates frequently with tons of pics, and again, have never gone over 3gig.

Oh and yeah, just buy a new ethernet card...as I am assuming you are not gaming on a laptop, a new ethernet card for your pc is like $20

Gaming is a different monster. You don't need huge amounts of bandwidth, just latency. And in my personal tests, games use very little. 10 hours of everquest 2 used a mere 10 megs. You *might* be pushing it if you're using voicechat, but other than that... (wouldn't voicechat in a raid, that's for sure...)

True story, I once had a customer call in because her connection wasn't fast enough for gaming. I asked her to do a ping test for it and she was getting 90ms. :P
    04-19-10 02:14 PM
    hmmm,,, thought gaming would require more bandwidth,,,, interesting tho.
    04-19-10 02:22 PM
    They also make USB to Ethernet adapters for a quick solution:
    04-19-10 02:32 PM
    hmmm,,, thought gaming would require more bandwidth,,,, interesting tho.
    It's more a misconception than anything. The kind of "fast" a game requires is different from the kind of "fast" downloading a movie on netflix would require. One requires merely that the connection be responsive, the other requires a brute force of bandwidth.

Think about it, what are online games other than muds with graphics? Not much actually has to transfer other than updated positions and who shot who, but what does transfer has to transfer fast.

It's like comparing a semi-truck with a Nascar racer. They're both powerful in their own right, for different things. One hauls a lot, one hauls a little, and does it fast. You'd need a "semi-truck" connection for downloading movies, and you'd need a "Nascar" connection for gaming.

What *would* get you on, let's say, an Xbox, is large amounts of voicechat and video, streamed or downloaded. But that's because you're getting into "semi-truck" territory. The games themselves don't need to transfer very much. They just need the connection to be responsive, and from what I've seen, cellular connections seem to handle this quite nicely.

(Semi-useless fact: This is why gamers hate satellite internet. It's "broadband", but it's terribly laggy. Good for big downloads, but not for anything else.)
    Last edited by Polychrome; 04-19-10 at 03:14 PM.
    04-19-10 03:11 PM
    I travel a lot and I think once I went over the 5gb limit but nothing happened. I used like 5.7 GB I was not home for that whole billing cycle but oh well. On average, I use 2-3.5 gb/month. 5gb is not a lot for people who use youtube/break a lot. But for the average business user that sends emails and such, it's plenty.
    04-19-10 05:00 PM
    P
    I played NCAA 08 when it came out over an alltel data card and while manageable, it was fairly laggy. I didn't play it that often so I didn't really look at the bandwith. Luckily we still have the grandfathered Alltel Unlmited BSP mobile broadband plan with a Mifi 2200 so no worries of this 5GB rubbish.
    Exactly, I'm so glad I have an Alltel plan and not a Verizon one. Alltel has NO limits and comes with FREE tethering. This came from the Alltel reps mouth when I bought my Curve and a Verizon rep in a store confirmed I still have it on both my Blackberries. When I used my phone as my primary internet connection a few months ago, I crossed 13GB without a peep from Verizon.

Boy, I miss Alltel so much

04-19-10 08:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD