i recently bought a droid (march 22nd) and it worked and it did its job like any other smart phone but a couple days ago when i woke up for work it wouldn't turn on anymore. so i took it in to the repair store here in my city and they said they couldn't replace it because that wasn't my original phone i had when i got my contract ( i got the tour on release day). i have insurance but why would i do a claim if my phone stopped working randomly for no apparent reason. it should still be within 1 year fact. warranty
    04-14-10 06:40 PM
    call Verizon. going into Verizon stores do little help as I've never had good luck with Verizon in there stores. Always call Verizon if you have a problem, 99% of the time Verizon will help you out with whatever you need through the phone, NOT the store, unless u didnt buy it from verizon then its not under there warranty
    Last edited by mjbesen310; 04-14-10 at 07:06 PM.
    04-14-10 06:43 PM
    Did you purchase the Driod from Verizon or from another source?
    04-14-10 06:47 PM
    i don't know my ex gf bought it for my for a Bday present she just gave it to me im pretty sure she bought it from eBay though
    04-14-10 07:00 PM
    i don't know my ex gf bought it for my for a Bday present she just gave it to me im pretty sure she bought it from eBay though
    that explains why they wont cover you then. The phone only has a warranty off the Original owner, which is not you.
    04-14-10 07:07 PM
    If the device was bought on ebay, VZW will not cover it. Warr should be covered by motorola though. Insurance will not cover a mfg defect.

You might try another battery if this was not done
    04-14-10 07:28 PM
    that's blows guess il have to file an insurance claim then
    04-14-10 07:29 PM
    i recently bought a droid (march 22nd) and it worked and it did its job like any other smart phone but a couple days ago when i woke up for work it wouldn't turn on anymore. so i took it in to the repair store here in my city and they said they couldn't replace it because that wasn't my original phone i had when i got my contract ( i got the tour on release day). i have insurance but why would i do a claim if my phone stopped working randomly for no apparent reason. it should still be within 1 year fact. warranty
    Well that's another thing the Droid Does, it transforms to a Tour!
    04-15-10 02:54 AM
    that's blows guess il have to file an insurance claim then
    can't do insurance on a phone that was not purchased new from VZW. Buying anything from eBay is at your own risk with no warr or insurance. Why do you think you can get them so much cheaper? I can't buy a used car at the dealer on the corner and expect Ford to make good on it when I didn't get it from them now can I?
    04-15-10 10:31 AM
    can't do insurance on a phone that was not purchased new from VZW. Buying anything from eBay is at your own risk with no warr or insurance. Why do you think you can get them so much cheaper? I can't buy a used car at the dealer on the corner and expect Ford to make good on it when I didn't get it from them now can I?
    Actually this is a gray area and has been discussed many times. Unless Asurian has really been cracking down it is possible. Some people have done this with no problems as long as the insurance was on the account when the phone was put on it. There are many people who say you can't and many who say you can. I know of at least one person who has done this with no problems on a phone he bought from someone else. I don't know the correct answer but it has been done.

Remember though (as someone else said here) the insurance will only cover water damage, theft, and I think physical damage (broken screen?) and not manufacturer defects.
    Last edited by sjsjr; 04-15-10 at 11:32 AM.
    04-15-10 11:29 AM
    Actually this is a gray area and has been discussed many times. Unless Asurian has really been cracking down it is possible. Some people have done this with no problems as long as the insurance was on the account when the phone was put on it. There are many people who say you can't and many who say you can. I know of at least one person who has done this with no problems on a phone he bought from someone else.

Remember though (as someone else said here) the insurance will only cover water damage, theft, and I think physical damage (broken screen?) and not manufacturer defects.
    Thats correct, I have seen some accounts keep insurance, even on a device not purchased from VzW. Asurion will still cover it, however, they will not cover a phone that was not stolen, damaged or lost. Saying that it has damage when it doesn't, can be an issue too since you would be sending the original phone back to them, they will find out...
    04-15-10 11:33 AM
    Damage the phone and file a claim.
    04-16-10 01:17 AM
    Damn. Almost in before insurance fraud.
    04-16-10 01:28 AM
    If the device was bought on ebay, VZW will not cover it. Warr should be covered by motorola though. Insurance will not cover a mfg defect.

You might try another battery if this was not done
    Motorola
    800-331-6456
    04-16-10 12:57 PM
    Who has two thumbs and thinks this thread is stupid?

THIS GUY!
    Hey be nice atleast now he understands why VZW will not cover the phone and his other options.
    04-16-10 01:49 PM
    So there was no need to title your post as you did, was there?
    04-17-10 07:14 PM
    So there was no need to title your post as you did, was there?
    Bullseye. That's exactly why I commented the way I did. If you are more sure that your phone is from a third party (whoever or whatever it may be) than you are that it's actually from VZW, there's no reason to be saying "A company that probably didn't even sell the phone won't fix it.". Not trying to be a **** or anything, but cmon.
    04-18-10 01:38 AM
    Uh, yes you can. Cars a warrantied from the date of original purchase, regardless of the owner. It's good for the mileage or age stated.
    04-18-10 01:51 AM
    Uh, yes you can. Cars a warrantied from the date of original purchase, regardless of the owner. It's good for the mileage or age stated.
    Only if the warranty can be transferred--not all of them can be.

That doesn't matter, the discussion is about a phone and I don't believe there is a phone warranty that can be transferred. As suggested, the OP should call Verizon. They might surprise you.
    04-18-10 10:36 AM
    In the context of this thread (insurance/warranty), is a phone bought at an authorized reseller ("Premium Retailer") considered to have been purchased from VZW?
    04-18-10 08:24 PM
    In the context of this thread (insurance/warranty), is a phone bought at an authorized reseller ("Premium Retailer") considered to have been purchased from VZW?
    Yes. The only time you would have to deal with the retailer is within the first 30 days. The warranty will be handled with VzW. Oh and sometimes the Auth Retailers have a seperate ETF if you cancel.
    04-18-10 09:12 PM
    Dude, you are wrong. With VZW, warranties DO NOT carry over from device to device, especially if the device was on another account previously. The warranty is NULL and VOID as soon as it hits a different account number. A smart tech rep will check the esn history before processing a claim.
    04-18-10 10:56 PM
    Only if it a device that was opened from the original packaging, plastic included. Most resellers sell used devices as new. People failed to see that. When they come crying for a warranty replacement, they won't get replaced because usually the device was active on a previous account. People should investigate the policies of resellers before purchasing. Their best bet is to either order online/direct location (even if it means they have to drive an hour to get to one)/call in to customer service to place an order.
    Last edited by babyface35762; 04-18-10 at 11:04 PM.
    04-18-10 10:59 PM
    Who has two thumbs and thinks this thread is stupid?

THIS GUY!
    You do realize we can't see you right? Visual gags tend to lose something when you TYPE THEM OUT.

Facepalm.jpg

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-10 07:27 PM
    What you are describing is a manufacturer's warranty. VZW is a reseller. Your arguement implies I can go to Best Buy and demand they fix my craigslist Xbox because Best Buy happens to carry Xboxes.

Aside from the insurance route, only Moto (the manufacturer) can help the OP.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-10 07:35 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD