I'm currently using OS 5.0.0.464 on my bold and planning to upgrade to .592. Is it actually necessary to wipe the device before installing the new OS coz when i installed .464 i didn't wipe my bold.
    Last edited by Cinta Nini; 04-14-10 at 11:45 AM.
    04-14-10 11:42 AM
    No.

Wiping prior to installing a new OS is pointless. The first step in the upgrade process is to backup the original dataset and settings. The second step wipes the device prior to beginning a fresh install.

The only time a wipe is needed is when the same OS version is desired for a full re-install.
    04-14-10 11:51 AM
    Opinions will vary on this but I have never wiped my Bold since I got it and never had a problem.
    04-14-10 11:59 AM
    Thanks. I can't wait to install .592 bcoz .464 does not hv the lock keypad icon.
    04-14-10 12:16 PM
    I feel like an old fart, I still use JL-cmdr to wipe all my phones prior to an OS install. Just felt confident doing it that way. It gives you that nice 507 Error then boom, runn apploader and you're done.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-10 08:51 PM
    Thanks. I can't wait to install .592 bcoz .464 does not hv the lock keypad icon.

It will only show on .592 if you enable password.
    04-15-10 03:28 AM
    It will only show on .592 if you enable password.
    Does it mean it has the same bug as .464? Then what's the use of upgrading. So what's the best OS for bold 9000?
    04-15-10 04:22 AM
    I would.

For me anyway I saw a maybe a 10mb increase in space when I did it. I also wasn't wiping the device, but after the 6th upgrade I figured it was time.

Think of it like a hard drive that needs to be defragged. Every time you are deleting space that is a block used, and even though you are installing new stuff it doesn't necessarily replace the blocks of space that was used before.

Therefore, a form of defrag needs to be done but we don't have that option so a wipe is better.

Anyway do you have to no, but I think it is wise to it only adds on an extra 10 minutes to the process. I watched some youtube videos about it.
    04-15-10 08:04 AM
    I would.

For me anyway I saw a maybe a 10mb increase in space when I did it. I also wasn't wiping the device, but after the 6th upgrade I figured it was time.

Think of it like a hard drive that needs to be defragged. Every time you are deleting space that is a block used, and even though you are installing new stuff it doesn't necessarily replace the blocks of space that was used before.

Therefore, a form of defrag needs to be done but we don't have that option so a wipe is better.

Anyway do you have to no, but I think it is wise to it only adds on an extra 10 minutes to the process. I watched some youtube videos about it.
    I think you miss Reed's rather concisely stated point. When you upgrade to a new OS with App Loader, the device is wiped -- so wiping before you wipe is, obviously, pointless.
    04-15-10 08:34 AM
    I wipe before i wipe and wipe again before it wipes, cause i like wiping the things i wipe to ensure that wiping is the best process ever before wiping again.

Anyhoo, it is best to do a clean wipe before loading the OS as a double wipe will occur to ensure a clean as can be wiping process has been done.
    04-15-10 08:54 AM
    Does it mean it has the same bug as .464? Then what's the use of upgrading. So what's the best OS for bold 9000?
    It's not a bug. It's what RIM has removed from 5.0 OS.
    04-15-10 08:56 AM
    The best OS is so far .592

The lock phone when password enabled will not work with A or the Mute key. This is a feature that was removed do to security upgrade for the newest 5.0 OS'es as RIM has stated on their website and elsewhere.

Who knows what loop hole was found, but i assume it was a extreme issue that allowed hackers to hack the phone even when locked in such a manner.
    04-15-10 08:59 AM
    04-15-10 10:50 AM
    I think you miss Reed's rather concisely stated point. When you upgrade to a new OS with App Loader, the device is wiped -- so wiping before you wipe is, obviously, pointless.
    I found it to be cleaner than doing an on top of OS install - never had an issue with random archives after doing a wipe.
    04-15-10 11:09 AM
    04-15-10 11:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD